R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 2:40pm
Looks like you're good to go.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
duck42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 1:43pm
I just talked to Andersen, they said the 2" and the 2 5/16' balls were interchangeable in the Andersen mount, part number is 3382 and cost is $49.99 plus $6 shipping.
duck42
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:24am
duck42 - I don't think so.  My understanding is that the ball is pressed into hitch.  Call andersen and ask them what can be done.  I've talked with and emailed them on several occasions.  They've always been very helpful and provided quick responses.  I purchased mine from hitchanything for under $400 including shipping.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
duck42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:23pm
Danthoman - Regarding the Andersen Hitch, I have been looking a used one, but it has a 2 5/16"ball. Do you know if the 2" ball will interchange in with a 2 5/16" ball in the friction cone receiver?
Thanks,
duck42
duck42
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 7:54pm

Welcome LarryK.

Bill, not sure, I don't remember reading that in the E2 literature.  I do remember reading that about friction sway bars.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 5:04pm
I've just finished my second 400+ mile trip using the andersen wdh  and so far its worked great. I hardly know the pod is back there.  Even having to dodge some morons in downtown Atlanta traffic didn't cause any noticeable sway.   The setup and take down is surprisingly easy.   All I have to do is put the hitch in the receiver, lower the trailer and tighten the two anti sway chain bolts with the supplied socket and I'm ready to roll.
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 12:55pm
With the pod having a larger TV and air bags have i don't use the WDH, so I'm only using friction sway control, but in the past with larger TT's I have used WDH with friction sway control. With friction sway control it is recommended to adjust for less friction in rain and snow so the TV and TT act less like one unit. Just being curious do you have to make any adjustments with Equalizer hitch when in rain or snow?
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 9:05am
As already mentioned, I have the 800/8000 trunnion version of the E2 that I'll be installing onto my RP-151/Tacoma.  I'll report my findings after using it to tow the Pod.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
LarryK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 11:50pm
We tow our R Pod 177 with a 2006 Toyota Tundra.  The E2 hitch makes the ride much smoother and the Pod tracts very very well.  The E2 hitch gives me more confidence when towing. I really wouldn't do without it.  Also, I was told that the single axle could make the POD more prone to sway. I'm sold on the E2 hitch. We have the 600/6000.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 9:29pm

I have the trunnion style.  Coming back from a recent trip I noticed a lot of wiggle at the rear of the pod.  Got home and found one of the mounting brackets for the L brackets - the part that bolts around the frame - was loose on one side.  Tightened all the bolts up and next trip out the rear of the pod was rock solid again no matter how much I wiggled the steering wheel.  Just one example of it definitely working to reduce sway.  I have the 6000/600 model - the company stated after an inquiry that going with a larger model would not affect the ability of it to reduce sway or distribute weight.

I've also found a large improvement in ride quality when using the WDH versus not using it.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>