R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Bill Ky

Verdict is friction sway bar, no WD. I do have a WDH but after 300 miles so far I don't think I'll be needing it.

=========================

When I was researching them I found that the models with the widest usage/better reputations were WDH with Stabilization. Truth be told   ...after doing the measurments we probably didn't need a lot of weight distribution control either (depending on how much "stuff" we crammed into the Pod) but I look at it as a little "insurance". In installing the hitch I didn't position it for "maximum" weight distribution so that the stress on the tow vehicle or the trailer frame would not be excessive and it also pretty much eliminated the "metal on metal" noise. By the way   ...we bought the Equal-i-zer (600/6,000 model).

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:49am

Verdict is friction sway bar, no WD. I do have a WDH but after 300 miles so far I don't think I'll be needing it.

Like many other topics such as "to cover or not to cover", others feel stongly otherwise.  Smile

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 11:12pm
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:45pm
I really can't say a whole lot more about this whole topic without starting to repeat myself     ...but here's my final thought on the subject (and this is coming from someone who pulled a 177 with and without one). If your tow vehicle is a little light in arse end and you are not certain of how well balanced your load is inside the Pod, then if it were me     ...I'd get one.

Are they cheap ?    ...NO. Ours (through e-Trailer.com) was just under $600 installed. Was it worth it ?    ...in my humble opinion - - YES !

'Slogger
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:03pm

I will be pulling our 175 with a 1500 Dodge Ram quad cab 4.7L with air bags rated to pull 7800 lbs, so I think WD hitch should not be necessary, But have been pondering the need for sway control. My main concern is push from semi tractors passing at higher speeds and cross winds. Any thoughts?

I pull my 172 with the same vehicle and no WDH. We pulled 3000 miles from Houston TX to Salem Oregon via Yellowstone and Northern Idaho. We didn't have any issues with excessive sway or instability. If you're the very careful type, you may want to do it just for security. The only issue I do have with the vehicle is lack of power. You expect with a V8 you'd be pulling without a problem, but in a headwind or going uphill you end up in 2nd gear far too often.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 4:13pm
Cross winds are what convinced me to get a WDH.  Most of the time I was fine, but one bad day wasn't fun.  Even now that I've moved to my Suburban I will use my WDH - the ride quality is better.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 3:12pm
I will be pulling our 175 with a 1500 Dodge Ram quad cab 4.7L with air bags rated to pull 7800 lbs, so I think WD hitch should not be necessary, But have been pondering the need for sway control. My main concern is push from semi tractors passing at higher speeds and cross winds. Any thoughts?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by techntrek

Footslogger, probably not necessary but if it will push your rig into a steep angle it might not be a bad idea.  I've never worried about it and haven't had a problem.

======================================

When we departed/returned from our trip this weekend I left the stabilizer bars in place and went slowly. No problem. Guess it looked worse than it actually was. I should also say that I moved the L brackets down one slot, which took a little tension off of them/trailer frame.

'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 4:06pm
Footslogger, probably not necessary but if it will push your rig into a steep angle it might not be a bad idea.  I've never worried about it and haven't had a problem.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 3:22pm
Thanks Sean.  I do remember someone saying that, but wasn't sure who.  I hadn't realized the was a $100 difference between the two for the same weight class.  Maybe I should call those folks who make it and ask.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>