R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 4:21pm
Hi all, I am picking up our r-pod 177 next week. Fell in love with it,we have seen a few here in Canada, British Columbia, so we found a dealer and now it's ours! My ?? is which one, Anti sway or Equalizer,are they the same? And what model. we chucked the tenting for the pod, so we need some help. We are new at thisSmile
thanks for any help
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 7:12pm
Welcome from the Eastern Coast of Canada. I hope you have a lot of fun with you Pod. There are a lot of posts on this forum about this question and I encourage to to read them but the short answer is it depends on what you are towing with.

You have three options you can get an antisway bar that will stop your trailer from swaying back and forth in the wind. You can also get a weight distribution hitch which distributes the tongue weight of the trailer more evenly between the front and rear wheels of your tow vehicle so it stops the back of your tow vehicle from bouncing up and down and helps to keep you front wheels firmly on the ground.  Your third option is something like the Equalizer hitch which does both. 

Now what do you need. If you live in an area that gets a lot of wind and your TV (Tow Vehicle) has a short wheelbase I would recommend that you get some sort of sway control. Also if you are towing at more that half of your TV's Rated towing capacity I would recommend a Weight Distribution Hitch. I am towing with a 2009 Jeep Liberty which has a fairly short wheelbase but It has a 5000 lbs towing capacity so I could have probably gotten away with just antisway bar but I got an E2 hitch which is similar to the equalizer hitch because it makes it more comfortable to drive. These are just my opinions and I am sure you will get many more

Half the fun I have had with my pod is figuring out what to get for it next so have fun and stay safe.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:14pm
Welcome.  Sean covered it well, I will only add that I have an E2 hitch, too.  It is a cheaper version of the Equalizer - less sway control but the pods don't need much, they tow very well.  You can get the 6000 pound version if you want (in case you move to a heavier camper in the future), the manufacturer has confirmed you can get a heavier model.  There are various online tools at the Equalizer web site (not the E2 site) which will help you figure out which holes to mount the head on, and what size shank to order.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by bc matell

Hi all, I am picking up our r-pod 177 next week. Fell in love with it,we have seen a few here in Canada, British Columbia, so we found a dealer and now it's ours! My ?? is which one, Anti sway or Equalizer,are they the same? And what model. we chucked the tenting for the pod, so we need some help. We are new at thisSmile
thanks for any help

===========================

Our first thought was "Sway Control", since we had a few scarey episodes in high gusty winds with our 177. In the end though we decided to get the "Equalizer" that gave us both the Weight Distribution and the Sway Control. This is our first trip since having it installed and so far it has been everything we expected. Ran through some rough winds and hit some highway sections that were pretty wavy. Never felt a thing from behind. Very glad with our decision and purchase.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:25am
Then again you might not need either.  It depends on what your towing with.  I'm towing with a Ford F-150 and don't need anything.  When I first got my Pod I towed with a Jeep Liberty 4X4 that was built up for off road use.  It didn't need any help either.  If it had been stock I probably would have needed an equalizer hitch.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 8:35am

With beefier TVs you are right, you don't need either.  However, I've towed with and without my WDH with my Suburban and the ride quality was still noticeably improved when the WDH was in place.  So I plan on using it, even though it isn't necessary for safety, etc.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 11:42am
I just have a plane hitch on my F-150, and have ride issues at slow speed (25-35) over bumpy roads.  The pod gets the truck rocking, and while it is still controllable it is less than comfortable.  Will either of these hitch options help with that?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I just have a plane hitch on my F-150, and have ride issues at slow speed (25-35) over bumpy roads.  The pod gets the truck rocking, and while it is still controllable it is less than comfortable.  Will either of these hitch options help with that?

A WDH should help with this. A Weight Distribution Hitch puts a set of spring bars between the TV and Trailer. The springs resist movement of the trailer on the ball so it does not bounce as much. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

==============================

We are towing a 177 with a Tacoma 4 Liter 6cyl - standard trans (short bed). We had a lot of "rocking back and forth" and that seemed to precipitate the swaying/fishtailing. I can only share our personal experience, which is limited since this is our first trip with the Equalizer hitch installed (600/6,000lb model) - - but so far there has been NO rocking or swaying. Makes all the difference in the world in terms of peace of mind.

Like others have said, it might not be necessary with a heavier duty tow vehicle, but we are very satisfied and happy with the WDH/Stabilizer.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:14pm
I would compare the difference in ride quality from moving from a compact car to a big comfy Caddilac.  From feeling every bump to gliding on marshmallows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>