R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:04am
Thanks.  I'll check it out.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 1:08pm
Just exchanged some emails with the folks at AdventureRV.Net and they said what they send contains the "standard shank", whatever that means as far as size.  They do not substitute with anything else.  Does anyone know what the "standard" sized shank is?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Just exchanged some emails with the folks at AdventureRV.Net and they said what they send contains the "standard shank", whatever that means as far as size.  They do not substitute with anything else.  Does anyone know what the "standard" sized shank is?

7 inch rise 1 inch drop is what they call it but it is actually 1 5/8 drop and 6 3/8 rise. This is where I got mine. 

Edit:  If you are towing with the Tacoma it might be a little short for you.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 5:22pm
Pretty sure I got the standard shank with my Equalizer and I am towing with a 2011 Tacoma. Rides level and smooth as silk. At first I wasn't happy with the installation the dealer did (longer part of vertical hitch pointed downward) so I disassembled the enire thing, flipped the shank and reassembled it - - wouldn't work    ...lowest ball position was too high. So, I reverted to the initial installation but I also repeated all measurments and made a change to the steel plates/L plate that attaches to the Pod frame. Ended up with a much more level ride and less metal on metal tension. Thought at first it might lower the hitches performance (ie. swaying), but it didn't. In fact, I like my install a lot better !!

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 7:15am
Thanks.  I guess I'll order the standard version and go from there.   Last check....  anyone find a cheaper deal than what's available at AdventureRV.Net?  I have to order the 2 5/16" ball and probably the thin-walled socket as well.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 10:56am
The Pod hitch won't accept a 2 5/16" ball. You need to specify the 2" - 1 1/4" shank diameter ball that is no longer than 2 3/4". I ordered the 2 5/16" ball and it is sitting on my workbench. I got mine directly from Equalizer. They call it the "8K" ball (it's rated at 8,000 lbs) and it wasn't terribly expensive. Yes, if you want to do the install and adjustments yourself you will need the large thin-walled socket. There are members here who said they have gotten them locally but after I ordered mine from e-trailer (same place I got my hitch) and compared them with what was available here in town there was a difference. Not a lot of room on the bottom side of the hitch head to get a standard socket - - plus, you'll need a 3/4" breaker bar (if you don't already own one) because the sockets that size are all 3/4" drive.

'Slogger
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 12:11pm
Got back Maonday evening from our Labor Day "dry camping" trip - rained from Sunday morning until we got home and it is still raining here today!!

The shank on my E2 is 12" - 10" part with the bolt holes welded to the 2" square receiver shank. I'd be happy to trade for a shorter version...

I will add that we were in the eastern PA mountain coal country, where 6-12% grades on two lane country roads are very common. The Dakota and R-Pod did well as long as I kept the speed down going down hill. Uphill it was 2nd gear all the way -although on long 6% grades i could keep it a about 40 mph. Gas milage going in was 8.5-9 mpg (ugh!). I have found that on flat an level once I get over 65, I get a lot of sway, so I keep steady 57-60 mph, at about 11 mpg.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Got back Maonday evening from our Labor Day "dry camping" trip - rained from Sunday morning until we got home and it is still raining here today!!

The shank on my E2 is 12" - 10" part with the bolt holes welded to the 2" square receiver shank. I'd be happy to trade for a shorter version...

I will add that we were in the eastern PA mountain coal country, where 6-12% grades on two lane country roads are very common. The Dakota and R-Pod did well as long as I kept the speed down going down hill. Uphill it was 2nd gear all the way -although on long 6% grades i could keep it a about 40 mph. Gas milage going in was 8.5-9 mpg (ugh!). I have found that on flat an level once I get over 65, I get a lot of sway, so I keep steady 57-60 mph, at about 11 mpg.

=======================

Just measured mine. It is 10" vertical overall and 12" horizontal overall    ...so I guess it's the same as yours. I wouldn't want less than the 12" horizonal shank because it fits my tow vehicle receiver perfectly and leaves enough space for the collar of some monster mudflaps we use called "Rock Tamers. The vertical piece could be a little shorter but l looked that they have a 1/4 steel spine welded onto it that runs almost the entire legth so I don't think it could be cut off - - plus you might need that extra support to reach the hithces rating. The vertical bar (as it is set on my hitch right now) comes flush with the top of the hitch head     ...so all of the "extra" vertical shank shaft is pointed downward. It has never caused me a problem while towing the Pod on trips but a few times I left the hitch attached to run errands around town and "bottomed out" on that piece of shank pointing downward when I went up a steep driveway where the gutters set low. That suddent dip followed by the steep driveway climb caused a troublesome clunk !!

'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:08pm

Sounds like I may have a winner!  My unused shank is 8 1/4" long on the vertical bar, with 6 holes.  I think it was 10" on the horizontal bar if you include the thickness of the vertical bar.  Oddly I don't see it listed on this page at all:  

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3    

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:15pm
See you in LaPorte!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>