R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:21pm
You are quick on the reply!  In case you miss it, I just added more info to my post.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:58pm
The joys of being retired and having the iPad always at the ready!

Can you make that a link? I haven't mastered the copy/ paste of this minimal iPad word 'processor'! Bill Gates was one step ahead with the two button mouse, the one finger c-coupled pad really does not measure up for ease of communication. Two finger pinch to close or no!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 8:35pm

Done.  I did before but it didn't "take" after submitting the post.   I've run into this once or twice before in this forum software, and doing it three or four more times still didn't work.  Not sure why it finally worked but its a link now.

If you want it, make an offer.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Footslogger03

The Pod hitch won't accept a 2 5/16" ball. You need to specify the 2" - 1 1/4" shank diameter ball that is no longer than 2 3/4". I ordered the 2 5/16" ball and it is sitting on my workbench. I got mine directly from Equalizer. They call it the "8K" ball (it's rated at 8,000 lbs) and it wasn't terribly expensive. Yes, if you want to do the install and adjustments yourself you will need the large thin-walled socket. There are members here who said they have gotten them locally but after I ordered mine from e-trailer (same place I got my hitch) and compared them with what was available here in town there was a difference. Not a lot of room on the bottom side of the hitch head to get a standard socket - - plus, you'll need a 3/4" breaker bar (if you don't already own one) because the sockets that size are all 3/4" drive.

'Slogger

Thanks.  I keep confusing my 2" ball for the RPOD with the 2 5/16" ball need for my Jayco.  I'm purchasing this hitch initially to get my Jayco home from the campground.  The hitch will then be used to tow my RPOD on a more regular basis than what I'd tow the Jayco.  So, I really need to order both balls, the thin-walled socket and the actual E2 WDH.  As mention before, I'll go with the 800/8000 hitch, so it can be used on both trailers.  I just want to make sure that I have my act together before making the order, since I'll be stuck with it, even if I order the wrong thing.  I don't want to make that mistake.

Now the thing is to decide where I have the best chance of getting everything I need correctly and placing the order.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 3:40pm

Well, I just bit the bullet and placed my order at RVWholesalers.com, as they had the cheapest total price I could find, with free UPS Ground shipping.

Products ordered
SKU Product Item price Quantity Total
14-2977 2" Equal-i-zer 8K Hitch Ball $20.99   1 $20.99  
02-0021 1 7/8 inch Thin Walled Equal-i-zer Installation Socket $62.99   1 $62.99  
14-8608 2 5/16" Equal-i-zer 10K Ball $26.99   1 $26.99  
14-5611 E2 Weight Distribution with 2-Point Sway Control Trunnion 800 / 8,000 lb Trunnion $332.99   1 $332.99  
Subtotal:  $443.96   
Shipping cost:  $0.00   
Total:  $443.96  
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 4:10pm
Congrats on the purchase.  I received my andersen hitch yesterday afternoon.  It took me about an hour to install.  It would have been less if I had been able to do it at home but we have a gravel driveway on a slope.  I had to drive to the end of the neighborhood where the street is level.  My only problem was that the breakaway connector was right where the frame bracket was attached.  That wouldn't have been a problem  if they had attached it in the middle of the frame but had it so about 1/8 inch was off to the side.  Not really a big deal. It took less than five minutes to move it.  The trailer seems to ride nicer but I haven't been able to give it a real test yet.  I was going to take it on the interstate today but the weather hasn't cooperated.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:05am
Good luck with that hitch.  Make sure you provide a full report after you've towed with it for a period of time.  I know many would like to hear your experiences with this setup.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Well, I just bit the bullet and placed my order at RVWholesalers.com, as they had the cheapest total price I could find, with free UPS Ground shipping.

Products ordered
SKU Product Item price Quantity Total
14-2977 2" Equal-i-zer 8K Hitch Ball $20.99   1 $20.99  
02-0021 1 7/8 inch Thin Walled Equal-i-zer Installation Socket $62.99   1 $62.99  
14-8608 2 5/16" Equal-i-zer 10K Ball $26.99   1 $26.99  
14-5611 E2 Weight Distribution with 2-Point Sway Control Trunnion 800 / 8,000 lb Trunnion $332.99   1 $332.99  
Subtotal:  $443.96   
Shipping cost:  $0.00   
Total:  $443.96  

My order arrived today.  The box was all busted up,  but I'm chalking that up to UPS and not the distributor.  Anyway, after very quickly looking at the instructions, it appears I'm supposed to have a torque wrench to use for the installation.  It talks about having one that's 400+ lbs rated.  Did  you guys actually use a torque wrench or just some large 1/2" breaker bar or something?

It seems that with every turn, there's another expense associated with getting the XFO)(!!e34!!?? WDH ready to install.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 2:47pm
I had the same question when I got my Equalizer from UPS and read the installation guide. I checked with 2 trailer rental/dealers in town and with my Toyota dealer (I pull with a Tacoma). Officially, you're supposed to put around 400+ ft/lbs of torque on the hitch nut - - but (wink, wink) nobody does. For starters, the socket for the hitch nut is a 3/4" drive so even if you tried to tighten it with a 1/2" set up you'd need an adapter. The advice given to me was to buy a 3/4" breaker bar (which I did) and a large crescent wrench (large enough to grip the sides at the base of the ball). You hold the hitch ball in place with the crescent wrench and tighten the nut from underneath until the split washer bites and then you crank that bugger down with all your might. That's what I did. Positive that it's well over the 150 ft/lbs I could have gotten out of my 1/2" drive torque wrench - - but I couldn't tell you the exact torque applied.

After installing the hitch and pulling the trailer a few times I had the occasion to call the Equalizer rep with a question and I ran the whole "torque issue" by him. He essentially said that at the factory they have a 3/4" drive bar with a 5 foot handle on it for leverage    ...so they can attain quite a bit of torque. He admitted that most garages/owners don't own that type of tool and just do what I did.

Know that might not be thte answer you were looking for     ...but hope that helps. I check the torque on all bolts before (sometimes during) and after each trip - - including the nut on the bottom of the hitch ball. So far no problems and it has never come loose.

'Slogger

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=middle><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 14px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Products ordered</TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE>
<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%"><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TH width=60 ="#cccccc">SKU</TH>
<TH ="#cccccc">Product</TH>
<TH width=100 noWrap align=middle ="#cccccc">Item price</TH>
<TH width=60 ="#cccccc">Quantity</TH>
<TH width=60 ="#cccccc">Total</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>14-2977</TD>
<TD><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">2" Equal-i-zer 8K Hitch Ball </TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$20.99</SPAN>  </TD>
<TD align=middle>1</TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$20.99</SPAN>  </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>02-0021</TD>
<TD><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">1 7/8 inch Thin Walled Equal-i-zer Installation Socket </TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$62.99</SPAN>  </TD>
<TD align=middle>1</TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$62.99</SPAN>  </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>14-8608</TD>
<TD><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">2 5/16" Equal-i-zer 10K Ball </TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$26.99</SPAN>  </TD>
<TD align=middle>1</TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$26.99</SPAN>  </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>14-5611</TD>
<TD><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">E2 Weight Distribution with 2-Point Sway Control Trunnion 800 / 8,000 lb Trunnion </TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$332.99</SPAN>  </TD>
<TD align=middle>1</TD>
<TD noWrap align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$332.99</SPAN>  </TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD height=20 width="100%" align=right>Subtotal: </TD>
<TD align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$443.96</SPAN>   </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD height=20 align=right>Shipping cost: </TD>
<TD align=right><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$0.00</SPAN>   </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2 ="#000000"></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD height=25 align=right ="#cccccc">Total: </TD>
<TD align=right ="#cccccc"><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">$443.96</SPAN>  </TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE>

My order arrived today.  The box was all busted up,  but I'm chalking that up to UPS and not the distributor.  Anyway, after very quickly looking at the instructions, it appears I'm supposed to have a torque wrench to use for the installation.  It talks about having one that's 400+ lbs rated.  Did  you guys actually use a torque wrench or just some large 1/2" breaker bar or something?

It seems that with every turn, there's another expense associated with getting the XFO)(!!e34!!?? WDH ready to install.

Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 2:47pm

I did not use a torque wrench because I do not own one that will go to 400 lbs. I used my impact wrench  to on the ball and a 1/2 breaker bar on the head bolts and just a 1/2 inch ratchet on the rest When I took to out for the first time I took my wrenches with me and periodicity checked to make sure the bolts did not loosen off. I had the bolts on the L brackets loosen a little but that is all. I also had to adjust the head while I was on the road and I just used my 1/2 inch ratchet for that. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>