R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 3:22pm
Thanks guys.  That makes me feel a bit better.  I was at Sears and saw torque wrenches that only went up to 250-lbs or so.  I'm trying to spend as little coin as possible.  When you say a 1/2" breaker bar, is that just a straight bar with the socket thing on the end that's non-rachetting?   Since I won't bother looking for a torque wrench, I'm not sure whether to try a 1/2" socket wrench or this breaker bar thing.

'Slogger, this is going on my Tacoma as well.  Any hints or suggestions or things I should be aware of?  Did the standard sized piece that goes into the Taco hitch fit OK or did you have to swap that out for a different sized piece?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Thanks guys.  That makes me feel a bit better.  I was at Sears and saw torque wrenches that only went up to 250-lbs or so.  I'm trying to spend as little coin as possible.  When you say a 1/2" breaker bar, is that just a straight bar with the socket thing on the end that's non-rachetting?   Since I won't bother looking for a torque wrench, I'm not sure whether to try a 1/2" socket wrench or this breaker bar thing.

'Slogger, this is going on my Tacoma as well.  Any hints or suggestions or things I should be aware of?  Did the standard sized piece that goes into the Taco hitch fit OK or did you have to swap that out for a different sized piece?

Yes I it is non ratcheting socket bar. I would have used the ratchet but I have broke a couple of ratchets that way.  
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:02pm
OK, thanks.  I'm looking for a "how-to" video on YouTube or somewhere to show the installation of this Fastway E2.  All I've been able to find are those videos for the Equalizer.  Although similar, not exactly the same.  I'm surprised the Fastway site doesn't have a how-to video for the hitch installation.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:05pm

=============================

No tricks I can think of. I presume you are taking about the "shank" - - and yes, the standard shank fit perfectly. Not sure which model Taco you have and what your ball height off the ground is, but on mine I had to orient the shank with the longer end (vertically speaking here) downward. The top of the hitch head is flush (or darn near) with the top of the shank (ie    ...I used the top hope in the side of the hitch head for the upper bolt. I ended up with a piece of vertical shank that sticks down about 8" or so below the hitch head, but it hasn't caused any problems. I have yet to "bottom out" while towing the Pod. I left the hitch head/shank assembly on the Taco after our last trip and when pulling itno our ACE Hardware parking lot I did hear the hitch bang - - but the street is REALLY crested high and there is a huge dip at the curb before you start up their driveway, so that's a worst case scenariio.

Hope that helps. I can post a pic of my assembled hitch (off of the truck) if you want.

Oh, and the bar (breaker bar) I bought to use with that humongous socket is just a long handle with a 3/4" socket base on it. I bought the 1/2" -> 3/4" adapter at first because I already had a 1/2" breaker bar and my torque wrench is 1/2" drive - - but the handle length on the 3/4" breaker bar is longer for better leverage and it's made of overall thicker steel.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:23pm
Thanks, that helps.  If you wouldn't mind posting pics, that would be great.  I have a '07 TRD Off-Road, 4x4 model of Tacoma.  So, is that thin-walled socket a 1/2" drive or 3/4" drive?  Now I'm not so sure.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:25pm

Thanks, that helps.  If you wouldn't mind posting pics, that would be great.  I have a '07 TRD Off-Road, 4x4 model of Tacoma.  So, is that thin-walled socket a 1/2" drive or 3/4" drive?  Now I'm not so sure.

====================================

It should be 3/4" on that socket. Give me a few minutes to find that pic and I'll upload it.

'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:41pm
OK   ...here is a pic of my Equalizer WDH assembly (off of the truck). Disregard those "wings" pointing upward from the shank shaft. Those are the arms for my "Rock Tamer" mudflaps   ...

'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:43pm
Thanks.  I was getting ready to ask "what the hell are those wingy things sticking up? :)"
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:44pm
The reason I "assumed" 1/2", was because that's all I saw at Sears.  Nothing in 3/4" that I could see.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:45pm

My box came all busted up, too.  I don't know how I wasn't missing any pieces, like the L brackets.

While the E2 and Equalizer aren't identical, they are close enough that any video made for one should be OK for the other.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>