R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:32am
Originally posted by bc matell

Thanks 4 all the info. I still have a ?? If I get a eqlizer hitch then I have to replace the hitch that came with my Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl? Thats what I am reading here. So would not anti sway bars be better??
Ouch Thanks 4 any info
From my understanding yes, you probably will have to ... but another more experienced tower will be able to tell you for sure.  Here is a brief bit of info (excerpted from an article online) I found on weight distribution hitches that was very handy when I was researching whether to get one or the other -- I decided on the anti-sway bars since the Pod is so much lighter than most other trailers.

Weight Carrying

When towing a trailer with a standard ball mount, all the trailer's tongue weight is transferred to the tow vehicle. Since the trailer hitch is attached to the vehicle frame, the additional weight in the rear will lower the back end of the vehicle while raising the front end. This means that the rear axle will be handling not only the trailer tongue weight but the additional load of the weight being transferred from the front axle. Less weight on the front axle can cause diminished performance, decreases in steering, traction and stopping and simultaneously increase trailer sway.

Weight Distributing

Weight distribution hitches add spring bars to the hitch system that apply leverage between the tow vehicle and the trailer. This leverage transfers the load sitting on the rear of the vehicle to all the axles of the vehicle and trailer. With the trailer tongue and rear cargo load distributed between the axles, the vehicle is leveled off and performance is greatly improved. Weight distributing systems should be used any time the trailer weighs more than 50 percent of the vehicle's weight.

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 10:22pm
 The receiver on the TV does not change, just the hitch that goes into the receiver.  While a WDH isn't necessary for some TVs, it still will greatly improve the ride quality.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 8:41am
As techntrek said, nothing on the Tacoma changes.  The mounted hitch stays.  What you're changing is the ball and the mount that the ball attaches to.  In addition, integrated sway control and weight distribution componants (bars, etc) are used and mounted to the trailer.

I've done as much research as I can on the subject.  This weekend, I put all that to the test.  Thanks to all the help from here and watching countless You Tube videos, I think I'm ready.  I'll report back on Sunday or Monday on how I made out.  Like I said, the main goal is to get my 26' Jayco home.  Once that is done, I'll remount the E2 to the RP-151/Tacoma, since I still have some camping I want to do this year in the Pod.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 9:04am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

This upcoming weekend is the big trailer-swap weekend.  We decided not to renew our seasonal campsite for 2013, so we need to have the Jayco off the site by November 15th.  Although I'm 99% sure I'll be able to get it down the driveway, next to the house, out to the area in the yard where we'll keep it, I want to get it moved a couple weeks prior to the campground closing, this way, If I screwed-up and it can't fit, I have time to come up with plan-b.

I'll be assembling/mounting my E2 on Saturday on my Tacoma and the Jayco.  We'll make the trip home and assuming all goes well, I'm going to then remount the E2 onto the R-Pod and make whatever adjustments I need to the Tacoma portion.  We'll then pull the RP-151 to the seasonal site and finish out the final 2-3 weeks in the Pod.  It will be the most it's been used since we've owned it.

Well, the Jayco made it home, just in time for hurricane Sandy to come and visit.  The only part/piece that I didn't know/realize that I would need was a 6" 3/4-drive extension.  Without it, there wasn't enough room to tighten the ball onto the hitch.  So, I finally was able to get my hands on the extension and got everything installed.  In retrospect, I think I needed more WD than what I had dialed in.  It was good enough to get me home.

Now, I will focus on mounting it to the RP-151.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
duck42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 2:09pm
Regarding the need for an "Equalizer hitch" for the RPOD, the E2 equalizer hitch that is so highly recommended by some RPOD owners states this in its instruction manual :

"•Tongue weight: To operate effectively, your e2 Round Bar hitch
should have a minimum of 400 lbs. tongue weight. This provides the sway
resisting friction force on the L-brackets of the hitch that give it the ability
to resist movement and thus to resist trailer sway."

Based upon the RPOD literature, the tongue weight on most RPODS is well under 400 lbs (closer to 280-300lbs). How does this compute for all of you Equalizer hitch advocates?

1) You just like the idea but it is not really necessary to have this hitch?
or
2) You like the idea and are convinced it helps even with light hitch loads?
or
3) The Equalizer folks are just being too conservative on their recommendation especially regarding the 6000 lb E2?

I presently have only a sway bar on my 171 , but based upon some comments in this forum, I am considering an equalizer hitch although I have not experienced the towing problems with my Toyota Highlander and RPOD combination described by some RPODERS.
duck42
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 2:53pm
I have the Equal-I-zer hitch 4000/400# MAX. tongue weight is 400#, not min.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 3:55pm
I don't recall ever reading anything in my E2 Owner's Manal about a minimum tongue-weight.  Which page are you seeing that?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
duck42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 4:11pm
I found that information on Page 23 of this URL PDF for the round bar E2:
 http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2_roundbar_instructions_0710_small.pdf

I do note a different recommendation for the trunnion (square bar) E2 tongue weight minimum (10% of Gross trailer weight) in this manual:
http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2_trunnion_instructions_0212.pdf 
The 10% figure would put the application more in line with the RPOD gross weight and tongue weight.

duck42
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 4:23pm
If you want to determine the real tongue weight, you need to load the one or two batteries and one or two full LP tanks. I have two batteries and two 20lb LP tanks. My Pod's tongue weight is way over the 'book weight'.
TIDALWAVE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by duck42

I found that information on Page 23 of this URL PDF for the round bar E2:
 http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2_roundbar_instructions_0710_small.pdf

I do note a different recommendation for the trunnion (square bar) E2 tongue weight minimum (10% of Gross trailer weight) in this manual:
http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2_trunnion_instructions_0212.pdf 
The 10% figure would put the application more in line with the RPOD gross weight and tongue weight.

Yep, I have the Trunnion style, so that's why I never recall reading anything about a minimum tongue weight.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>