R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

The Anderson's look nice but I have not found anyone yet using them as they are about 1 year old. They do have a 45 day trail you can use.

There is a lot !!! of debate on other forums about the Anderson hitch. A lot of it way over my head. Interesting to see in a few years how they hold up. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
rickwxi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 1:59pm
HI, well, we have the r-pod 177 and am pulling it with a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT four wheel drive witht the 4.0C V-6 engine. I do have Air bag overloads installed and run about 35 lb of air in them. I pull the r-pod without the sway bar, just the hitch. seems to pull just fine, sometimes I don't even know I am pulling it, except when I look in the mirrors.

Oregon has a  lot of mountains to pull and it does a good job. We love the r-pod 177.

Note: Our r-pod is 18 feet long and weighs 2450 lbs empty.

Rick and Barb

Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by rickwxi

HI, well, we have the r-pod 177 and am pulling it with a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT four wheel drive witht the 4.0C V-6 engine. I do have Air bag overloads installed and run about 35 lb of air in them. I pull the r-pod without the sway bar, just the hitch. seems to pull just fine, sometimes I don't even know I am pulling it, except when I look in the mirrors.

Oregon has a  lot of mountains to pull and it does a good job. We love the r-pod 177.

Note: Our r-pod is 18 feet long and weighs 2450 lbs empty.

Rick and Barb

=======================

Hope your experience remains positive. After several "sway" epidodes we decided to get an Equalizer hitch. Have about 600 miles under our belt so far and NO sway. We like that !!

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:10pm
I towed mine for a year and a half without sway control, but as Footslogger said, it only took one bad incident to make me rethink that strategy.  The popup I had before was suicide to tow without a sway bar so when I saw how well the pod pulled without it I was happy to not deal with it.  I'm glad I have it now.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
burge16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 11:33pm
I'm brand new at RV'ing and towing, and just bought a 177. I'm towing it with a V6 Ford Escape, and had equalizer bars installed. My first trip down the highway my trailer was swaying side to side, so I pulled over and tightened the equalizer bars, and that made all the difference. Now it's much more stable, and I only notice a bit of movement when it's really windy (which I gather is normal). Lots to learn though, so I'm really happy this forum is available for new people like me!
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by burge16

I'm brand new at RV'ing and towing, and just bought a 177. I'm towing it with a V6 Ford Escape, and had equalizer bars installed. My first trip down the highway my trailer was swaying side to side, so I pulled over and tightened the equalizer bars, and that made all the difference. Now it's much more stable, and I only notice a bit of movement when it's really windy (which I gather is normal). Lots to learn though, so I'm really happy this forum is available for new people like me!

=======================

When you say you tightened the Equalizer bars      ...are you talking about torquing down the bolts located at the hitch head that control the side-to-side friction of the stabilizer bars ?? If so, what level of torque did you put on them. There is a spec in the installation guide.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
burge16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 1:41am
My whole setup came from the dealer, so everything was set up for me by them. The adjustment I made only related to how tight I had the chains, I had them much too loose. So it was essentially like not having anything until I tightened them up. Scarey lesson to learn, now I know.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:52am

My whole setup came from the dealer, so everything was set up for me by them. The adjustment I made only related to how tight I had the chains, I had them much too loose. So it was essentially like not having anything until I tightened them up. Scarey lesson to learn, now I know.

Okay you have a chain type of Weight Distribution Hitch. Most of them don't have built in sway control. Equalizer is a brand name that does not use chains and has built it sway control. 

The picture below is of an E2 Hitch which has solid brackets on the frame of the trailer for the spring bars of the Weight Distribution hitch to sit on. (This is the same on the Equalizer) This provides 2 points of friction for sway control. The Equalizer has another two points of friction at the hitch head which dampens side to side motion. 

Some chain type WDHs have a cam system for sway control that you can add. You can also add a sway bar. The down side to sway bars is they have to be removed when you are backing up the trailer. I hope that helps a little is explaining the different types of hitches. 

This is a Reese Cam active Sway control system. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Seanl

Okay you have a chain type of Weight Distribution Hitch. Most of them don't have built in sway control. Equalizer is a brand name that does not use chains and has built it sway control. 

The picture below is of an E2 Hitch which has solid brackets on the frame of the trailer for the spring bars of the Weight Distribution hitch to sit on. (This is the same on the Equalizer) This provides 2 points of friction for sway control. The Equalizer has another two points of friction at the hitch head which dampens side to side motion. 

Some chain type WDHs have a cam system for sway control that you can add. You can also add a sway bar. The down side to sway bars is they have to be removed when you are backing up the trailer. I hope that helps a little is explaining the different types of hitches. 

This is a Reese Cam active Sway control system. 

I can't tell from the pic, but is that the Trunnion style or Round Bar style E2?  Why did you choose the one you did, considering there's a $100 difference between styles?  I want to get an E2, but not sure which style to get.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
burge16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 11:04am
Yes, the top picture is what I have. Because I've never towed anything before I'm still trying to figure out what's normal and what isn't. I've been told I can add a sway bar to this set up if I want to, but I'm going to persist and just try to get comfortable with what I have. It's probably just my inexperience, and truthfully it's not too bad. I find it depends more on how windy it is as to how much movement I feel, and my speed too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>