R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:30pm
Did you raise the L brackets on the camper frame to increase your sway control?  The potential downside to that is you can end up raising the rear of your TV too much.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Originally posted by Seanl

Originally posted by burge16

My whole setup came from the dealer, so everything was set up for me by them. The adjustment I made only related to how tight I had the chains, I had them much too loose. So it was essentially like not having anything until I tightened them up. Scarey lesson to learn, now I know.

Okay you have a chain type of Weight Distribution Hitch. Most of them don't have built in sway control. Equalizer is a brand name that does not use chains and has built it sway control. 

The picture below is of an E2 Hitch which has solid brackets on the frame of the trailer for the spring bars of the Weight Distribution hitch to sit on. (This is the same on the Equalizer) This provides 2 points of friction for sway control. The Equalizer has another two points of friction at the hitch head which dampens side to side motion. 

Some chain type WDHs have a cam system for sway control that you can add. You can also add a sway bar. The down side to sway bars is they have to be removed when you are backing up the trailer. I hope that helps a little is explaining the different types of hitches. 

This is a Reese Cam active Sway control system. 

I can't tell from the pic, but is that the Trunnion style or Round Bar style E2?  Why did you choose the one you did, considering there's a $100 difference between styles?  I want to get an E2, but not sure which style to get.

Trunnion Style I got a good deal on it. I don't think there is any performance difference. I have posted before that the head of the trunnion style sits higher giveing you more ground clearance. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 2:44pm
Here's another question related to the whole WDH/Stabilizer set-up. If you are backing into (or pulling out of) your driveway and have a sloped apron between the level driveway and the street, do you disengage your staibilizer bars ?

I did last time we travelled, and right after we got the Equal-i-zer installed, but I'm not sure that was necessary.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 3:22pm
Thanks Sean.  I do remember someone saying that, but wasn't sure who.  I hadn't realized the was a $100 difference between the two for the same weight class.  Maybe I should call those folks who make it and ask.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 4:06pm
Footslogger, probably not necessary but if it will push your rig into a steep angle it might not be a bad idea.  I've never worried about it and haven't had a problem.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by techntrek

Footslogger, probably not necessary but if it will push your rig into a steep angle it might not be a bad idea.  I've never worried about it and haven't had a problem.

======================================

When we departed/returned from our trip this weekend I left the stabilizer bars in place and went slowly. No problem. Guess it looked worse than it actually was. I should also say that I moved the L brackets down one slot, which took a little tension off of them/trailer frame.

'Slogger
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 3:12pm
I will be pulling our 175 with a 1500 Dodge Ram quad cab 4.7L with air bags rated to pull 7800 lbs, so I think WD hitch should not be necessary, But have been pondering the need for sway control. My main concern is push from semi tractors passing at higher speeds and cross winds. Any thoughts?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 4:13pm
Cross winds are what convinced me to get a WDH.  Most of the time I was fine, but one bad day wasn't fun.  Even now that I've moved to my Suburban I will use my WDH - the ride quality is better.
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Bill Ky

I will be pulling our 175 with a 1500 Dodge Ram quad cab 4.7L with air bags rated to pull 7800 lbs, so I think WD hitch should not be necessary, But have been pondering the need for sway control. My main concern is push from semi tractors passing at higher speeds and cross winds. Any thoughts?

I pull my 172 with the same vehicle and no WDH. We pulled 3000 miles from Houston TX to Salem Oregon via Yellowstone and Northern Idaho. We didn't have any issues with excessive sway or instability. If you're the very careful type, you may want to do it just for security. The only issue I do have with the vehicle is lack of power. You expect with a V8 you'd be pulling without a problem, but in a headwind or going uphill you end up in 2nd gear far too often.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:45pm
I really can't say a whole lot more about this whole topic without starting to repeat myself     ...but here's my final thought on the subject (and this is coming from someone who pulled a 177 with and without one). If your tow vehicle is a little light in arse end and you are not certain of how well balanced your load is inside the Pod, then if it were me     ...I'd get one.

Are they cheap ?    ...NO. Ours (through e-Trailer.com) was just under $600 installed. Was it worth it ?    ...in my humble opinion - - YES !

'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>