R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:30pm
It all depends on how much tension you put on the bars. The "noise" is metal on metal. A certain amount of that is normal and an indication that the hitch is doing its job. Too much probably means that you need to make an adjustment.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:03am
Originally posted by danthoman

After reading all the posts I think I've decided on the 8k E2 wdh but I'm still concerned about the noise problem I keep hearing about.  Is this really an issue?  I haven't heard about any noise problems with the andersen hitch.  Maybe I'll go with that instead.

Mine only makes a grinding noise when I am making a sharp turn at low speeds. My wife is more troubled by it than I am because she thinks is means there is a problem. Equalizer makes a set of plastic spacers that you can get to reduce the noise but it reduces the sway control which defeats the purpose of the hitch in the first place. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:14am
Thanks for all the helpful info.  By time you add the ball and the thin-walled socket, you just added another $60 or so to the total price.  Having a camper is getting like owning a boat............. you're constantly throwing money into it.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:50am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Thanks for all the helpful info.  By time you add the ball and the thin-walled socket, you just added another $60 or so to the total price.  Having a camper is getting like owning a boat............. you're constantly throwing money into it.

Yep they are bottomless pits to throw money into. I did get the socket and ball locally for less that they cost online though. I paid $15 for the ball and I had the socket already but I think I paid $10 for it at an autoparts store. 
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:52am
Thanks for the help.  How much does the hitch weight?  The shipping weight is 100 pounds.   That  seems like a lot to add to the tongue weight.

I also own a boat, and yes,  I'm always throwing money into it.  I hope I use the r-pod a lot more than I use the boat.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:03am

Thanks for the help.  How much does the hitch weight?  The shipping weight is 100 pounds.   That  seems like a lot to add to the tongue weight.

I also own a boat, and yes,  I'm always throwing money into it.  I hope I use the r-pod a lot more than I use the boat.

I have never weighed it but the head has to weigh 35-45 lbs and each of the bars would be 5 lbs so maybe 50 lbs 60 at most. Now that's for the 600/6000 hitch. The bars will be heavier on a bigger one. The effect though is that of reducing tongue weight as it transfers some of the weight to the front wheels of the TV and the the trailer. So while total weight goes up effective tongue weight does not.   
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:10am

Thanks for the help.  How much does the hitch weight?  The shipping weight is 100 pounds.   That  seems like a lot to add to the tongue weight.I also own a boat, and yes,  I'm always throwing money into it.  I hope I use the r-pod a lot more than I use the boat.

============================

It comes in 2 boxes. Hitch head is a boat anchor ! The bars (mine are trunion style) weigh at least 15lbs a piece. Not sure the total is 100lbs - - my guess is that the "rounded up". Mine is the Equal-i-zer 600/6,000    ...so I'm guessing that the 800/8,000 model will be heavier, as already said.

'Slogger
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 2:31pm
I think I'm going to go with the Andersen hitch.  It seems simpler and I don't have to deal with shims and L brackets, just loosen or tighten the chains.   The main reason I probably won't buy the E2 is that I don't like being nickle and dime'ed to death.  I have to buy the hitch, then the ball, then the socket, then the ratchet bar.  I thought I had a big air impact wrench but it only goes to 250 ft/pounds.  I called my mechanic and he said he didn't know anyone around with a 450 pound torque wrench.  

Now my only problem is figuring out how much drop/rise I need for the xterra and the tacoma.  That will have to wait for a sunny day.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 2:41pm

I think I'm going to go with the Andersen hitch.  It seems simpler and I don't have to deal with shims and L brackets, just loosen or tighten the chains.   The main reason I probably won't buy the E2 is that I don't like being nickle and dime'ed to death.  I have to buy the hitch, then the ball, then the socket, then the ratchet bar.  I thought I had a big air impact wrench but it only goes to 250 ft/pounds.  I called my mechanic and he said he didn't know anyone around with a 450 pound torque wrench.  

Now my only problem is figuring out how much drop/rise I need for the xterra and the tacoma.  That will have to wait for a sunny day.

I love the idea of how the Anderson works but could not find anyone using it when I was looking. Let us know how it works
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:27pm
Yeah   ...keep us posted. I got a great price (all things being relative) on the Equalizer 600/6,000 and it has made a world of difference in the ride and feel of towing our 177. No sway any more and it pretty much glides over the seams in the highway - - well, maybe not the really bad ones :-)

'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>