Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Campground Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campground Etiquette
    Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:16pm
Someone has some serious control issues.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Thredbende View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thredbende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 1:01pm
Okay, I must weigh in on terrible campground noise.  I was amazed to have my choice of campsites on which to pitch my tent at the West Point Round Pond Recreation area on a perfect summer weekend before pod and when I was still an Army Nurse.  Exhausted from packing AND driving AND dealing with an autistic 10 year old and setting up camp and making dinner, I finally sank into the air mattress with a full belly, a glass of wine or two under my belt, and an empty bladder.  Suddenly the ground shook with bedrock conducted explosions. And again.  And again, but no evidence of a thunderstorm.  Unbeknownst to me, the nearby national guard post was conducting night fire heavy artillery practice until daybreak. When I figured out it was only cannon fire, it didn't help.  I wondered how long my nylon tent fabric would resist an artillery shell if a weekend warrior made a math mistake.  Note to self-verify that there is no night fire practice scheduled before camping in a military campground! I did manage to sleep after terror fatigue.  The next morning the camp director assured me that they fired into the other side of the mountain, explaining why the ground shook so.  My daughter mentioned the next morning that there had been quite a thunderstorm but it hadn't bothered her!  And yes, I know, "artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be an ungentlemanly brawl".
Thredbende
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 3:52pm
I went through the same thing except the artillery didn't last but a few hours.  It brought back some bad memories though so I didn't get much sleep that night.  Another time it was the tanks going out at night.  No firing.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 4:32pm
Hartwick Pines State Park in MI is close to Camp Grayling, the largest National Guard training center in the US. Not close enough for the noise to keep you awake, but sometimes the tracers can make a great light show at night.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Budward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Budward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 10:00pm

We were once "treated" to several hours of some redneck joke tape at Cascade Lake near Hendersonville NC.  Of course each joke was followed by high intensity drunk laughing.

Another time in the fall at Davidson River Campground in the Pisgah NF we were quite annoyed to listen to one of the hosts running a gas powered leaf blower ALL freaking day.   Personally when camping I LIKE seeing the fall leaves...and for some strange reason when camping I'd rather hear birds than a motor.
When I got home I wrote a nice email to the USFS head Ranger in that district about it.
I was actually amazed when he wrote back he understood, didn't know it was happening and it would stop.

My favorite-  we like to camp off season.  So several times we have set up camp in a basically unoccupied loop......go off for the day to return and find someone has set up right next to us when there are 40 unoccupied campsites elsewhere in the loop.
And of course it is either someone with barking dogs (I love dogs) or a bunch of noisy kids or they stay up partying half the night...Angry
capnfishook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote capnfishook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:10pm
I found a solution to the dog poop problem in campgrounds.  It came to me one morning while making breakfast.  I cooked some bacon and did not have a container for the grease.  About that time I noticed my neighbors dog circling our hot tub, looking for a place to take a dump.  I went after him with the skillet in my hand and decided to pour some of the bacon grease on its poop.  Sure enough, an hour or so later, the dog returned to find out what smelled so good.  Once found, he inhaled the whole pile and took it away himself.

So, when I go camping, I take a squeeze bottle full of bacon fat mixed with a little vegetable oil to keep it liquid and squirt a little on any dog poop I see.  The next dog that comes along takes care of it.  I call it Poop-B-Gone and truly believe I could market it.

Wink
Budward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Budward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 6:34pm
Good idea!   Of course the dog that eats it may not the the dog that left it- thereby possibly spreading parasites.  But then again- if people didn't let their dogs run loose......

At my camp in the mountains of NC we notice all poop left by our two dogs is always gone the next day-  I assume it is coyotes but don't know.
Been meaning to put one of my trail cams surveilling a poop pile to get pics of what eats it overnightSmile
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hairy Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 11:06am
You must feed your dogs the good stuff!
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Budward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Budward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 4:13pm
Yep- they get Blue Buffalo.  
Sought after by discriminating poop eaters everywhereTongue
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Thredbende View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thredbende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 1:46am
This attack on dogs increases the biohazard to all of us with dogs. Please find another way to deal with your justifiable anger. I walk my 80 pound greyhound with a swinging, full baggie. There are terrible consequences of living with diseased animals. If you encourage stool ingestion by a species, you spread diseases your dog could catch as easily as licking his own paws. Then you get it. We campers must live cleanly and courtessy to stay healthy and live long. As a military officer in the Army Nurse Corps, I preached hygiene. I cover other scat as I hike.
Thredbende
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>