R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes, another Battery question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes, another Battery question
    Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 10:43pm
Hey all,

Before I posted in the forum, I searched the battery topic and I never saw anything related to what I am experiencing.

Basically, when my 172 is plugged into shore power, my lights work fine. as soon as I disconnect the shore power, my lights dont work.. or anything that requires the battery power.. it's like the battery is not even there.
Also, shortly after I unplug shore power, there is an alarm inside the pod and I have located it to be coming from that grey colored unit just under the bathroom door and to the right a bit. It has an led on it and a flat type of switch button on it.. I think it is the CO detector. to silence the alarm I have to push the button.

Question, is there some sort of a relay switch somewhere that would switch over to the battery once the shore power is removed? perhaps this is gone bad?
when the pod is attached to shore power, is it supposed to charge the battery?
Also, when towing, would the TV charge the battery?

note: I fully charged the battery, aand also tested it when the shore power is disconnected and the lights are not working.. it is at 12.9VDC...

I have to dig deeper into this, but wanted to run it by the rpod guru's first, while I dig...
It certainly seems like a relay thing to me... (oh, all of my fuses are good in my panel, and no alarm lights lit for any of them either...

Thanks in advance for all of your help and suggestions..

GoofieNewfie

2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 1:02am
 If the CO Detector is going off after you unplug it is getting some battery power.  Was about to say a bad battery but see you have tested it and also  have 12.9 VDC
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 8:39am
I would check all the fuses on the 12 volt side of the converter panel. If there is a red LED glowing, the fuse needs to be replaced. Also check the breakers to see they are in the ON position. If the fuses are OK, lift the lid on the compartment and check the ground bus connector and ensure the white wires are all screwed down tight - especially the big thick one, it is the main power return (battery negative pole) and needs to be firmly connected for the system to work correctly. Keep your fingers and tools away from any red wire connections when you are in there and working on the white wires. If shorted, A storage battery can pack a wallop and fuse tools together - and put you on your backside in a flash !!    
Also check both battery terminals to make sure they are tight.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:29am
Check the Main DC and Reverse polarity fuse in the DC panel. Large fuses to the left of the rest of the fuses in my panel They are Red on mine. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
GoofyNewfie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 6:43pm
thanks all.
I will check these things and reply back... at least I now know that I won't be scratching my head anymore looking for a relay.

Is there any reason why the CO detector would be alarming when AC is unplugged?
When the TV is connected to the pod and running, should I see a charging voltage at the battery terminals.. ~14VDC?

I'll report back with my findings.

2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:21pm
The detector right of the bathroom door is the propane leak detector. It screams for 2 reasons:" 1) propane leaks and 2) low/insufficient power.

If it doesn't scream when you're on shore power, it's definitely a power suplly thing. check your connections, fuse, etc.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:30pm

When charging you will probably see something between 13.5 and 14 volts, yes.

My bet is your battery is bad.  That would explain your CO detector alarming after unplugging from AC.  Even a bad battery can read a normal resting voltage (12.7) after charging, and even possibly after resting.  There are multiple things you need to to do test a battery.  After charging overnight, let it rest (no charging, no loads) for at least 3 hours and test the voltage.  It should read 12.7.  Then apply a sizeable load for 10 minutes, while it is still unplugged from a charging source.  In the pod, turning on every light and putting the exhaust fan on high will be good enough.  While everything is running take a voltage reading, it shouldn't be below 12 volts - I'm betting under load yours is falling well below this which is why your CO detector is going off.  Turn everything off and take another reading, it shouldn't be much lower than 12.5.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply