Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: AC THERMOSTAT MY PETS DIED
    Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by furpod

The 'fridge can work in 12v mode only, but not for long, even with dual batteries, 10 hours or so is the longest I would let ours run in 12v.

I wouldn't go more than 30 minutes in DC mode for the fridge.  That heating element uses about 120 watts, or about 10 amps @ 12 volts.  That is an extremely large load for one battery.  Since you shouldn't go below 50% depth-of-discharge, for your typical 100-110 amp deep cycle battery that is only about 4 hours to hit that mark (not 5-6 as you might think, look up "Peukert Effect" for more info... bottom line the larger the load, you get fewer total amps from the battery).  You definitely won't get to 10 hours without ruining the battery permanently.

Sorry, off-topic, but wanted to clarify that.  Embarrassed
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Originally posted by furpod

The 'fridge can work in 12v mode only, but not for long, even with dual batteries, 10 hours or so is the longest I would let ours run in 12v.

I wouldn't go more than 30 minutes in DC mode for the fridge.  That heating element uses about 120 watts, or about 10 amps @ 12 volts.  That is an extremely large load for one battery.  Since you shouldn't go below 50% depth-of-discharge, for your typical 100-110 amp deep cycle battery that is only about 4 hours to hit that mark (not 5-6 as you might think, look up "Peukert Effect" for more info... bottom line the larger the load, you get fewer total amps from the battery).  You definitely won't get to 10 hours without ruining the battery permanently.

Sorry, off-topic, but wanted to clarify that.  Embarrassed

While true, 4 hours worth of drain is probably the max you should go, I will point out, that the battery doesn't drain constantly running the fridge. UNLESS you are cooling a warm, empty fridge from the get go.. No one does that I hope.

Last fall, I let ours run after coming home, just sitting in the driveway, full of groceries and frozen goods.. well not full, we had just been out camping, but there was still a fair amount of stuff in there. (I always over pack socks and food)

After about 12 hours, in 75-80 degree heat, no A/C, my batteries where still at 70% or so, 12.32v. This is with dual, group 24 batteries.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:58am
Good to know, thanks.

I guess we can consider the original topic closed for now, since it is unlikely the OP will return.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Mama Bear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:07pm
OMG...so sorry that happened...we just bought a 177 R-pod and also want to take our golden doodle...can someone please tell us what happened.
Mama Bear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:14pm
What's a fantastic fan?
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:28pm
We nevewr heard from this poster again, so anything I say is just a guess.  The psoter said she was running the air then set the fan to High.  Air and Fan are controlled by one thermostat, and my guess is that changing the fan speed moved the unit to fan and turned off the air.  The closed up pod and Texas summer heat resulted in a sad outcome.

It took me a little while to get the hang of the thermostat.  I recommend you work with yours until you get reliable results.  In my case the problems were with the operator, not the equipment. 

We also camp with dogs, and rarely leave them alone in the Pod.  If I knew I had business of any nature that would keep us away from the Pod all day I would leeave the dogs home.  Any time I left them in the Pod I would make sure all environmental equipment was working as I wanted it to before leaving. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
wildflowerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:49pm
I'm glad people are still discussing this post.  We will be traveling with our dogs and I am a bit scared to leave them in the pod if we can't take them.  I am considering finding local kennels if we have to leave for the day and it's too hot.  
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 2:26pm
I have left our dogs in our RV for many hours. We leave windows open as well as AC going,,,just to be on safe side. Better to have chilly dogs than hot dogs...especially pugs. If going to be gone for the day, I have someone check on them. It isn't an option for us to leave them home.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 5:54pm
We have brachyceohalic dogs as well that don't do well with extreme heat.  I am convinced that the AC/thermostat are safe if working correctly and set correctly.  Any system made by man is prone to failure, and for that matter there is no guarantee that the electricity at the campground will not fail or that some joker will not unplug the camper or shut off the breaker on the post.  I like your suggestion of having someone check on them if you are gone.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 8:09pm
We got our pod in the middle of August four days after this was post, so in order to ensure our guys would be safe I did some tinkering with the thermostat and have found that my unit has to have the fan set to auto for the A/C or furnace. When ever it is set to high or low only the fan is working.
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>