R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReady ...Set ...Generator !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready ...Set ...Generator !!
    Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 10:56am
Can't read any more about generators or my head will burst. First it was a simple Honda 2000. Then it was the 2000 Companion (mainly because of the 30A outlet - - but then we found out you needed a special plug). Next we thought we just HAD to have the Honda 3000 (because we envisioned using EVERY electrical appliance all at the same time - - NOT). In the meantime the confusion continued and we bought nothing      ....figured the best thing to do was wait and let the dust settle.

Jump to today      ...after reading just about every RV/Camping blog about the "real world"practical" use(s) for a generator we're right back where we started. Headed out to buy the base model Honda 2000i today. For now it will do everything we want/need and if it turns out that we venture out when/where AC is needed we'll get a second base model 2000i.

Anyone else here go through similar generator chaos ??

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 11:19am
 Glad you finally made a decision.  We too, purchased the Honda 2000I.  Also I had installed a larger starting capacitor on the A/C.  Have just been camping with full hookups so haven't tried the generator yet with the A/C.  Might suggest getting the larger starting capacitor installed.  Part cost is only about $26.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Glad you finally made a decision.  We too, purchased the Honda 2000I.  Also I had installed a larger starting capacitor on the A/C.  Have just been camping with full hookups so haven't tried the generator yet with the A/C.  Might suggest getting the larger starting capacitor installed.  Part cost is only about $26.  Safe Travels.

===========================

Hmmm    ...you've got me interested. Is this higher rated capacitor a Dometic part ?    ...and where/with how much difficulty is it installed.

We don't anticipate using the generator for powering the A/C    ...but it never hurts to be prepared - - even if we just want to run it for a few minutes to take the edge off the temp. The majority of our camping out here (even in the heat of summer) doesn't require A/C because of the lower humidity. We've got 3 great little fans that run on 110V or 12V power and generally that's all we need. We generally have a healthy breeze.

Anxious to hear more about the capacitor.

Thanks for your reply,

'Slogger
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:09pm
No.  It is made by an outside vendor, as are most of the other parts. Google "hard start" and all will be revealed.  I would assume it does not void the warranty.  It is a replacement for the original capacitor which is a little undersized, however, as with most manufacturers, cost is most important.  I see some of the prices for the replacement capacitor is $10.  Safe Travels.  
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

No.  It is made by an outside vendor, as are most of the other parts. Google "hard start" and all will be revealed.  I would assume it does not void the warranty.  It is a replacement for the original capacitor which is a little undersized, however, as with most manufacturers, cost is most important.  I see some of the prices for the replacement capacitor is $10.  Safe Travels.  

====================

Thanks Bob    ...did the search and one of the links was to the Forest River User Group. One of the members even posted pictures.

Curious - - did you install this yourself or have it done by someone else. It looks like a "plug and play" sort of install. Hardest part would be getting the hood off of the A/C unit.

Thanks again,

'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 6:48pm
Okidokey    ...now the fun begins. Have the Honda EU2000i sitting on the garage floor. Burning through the Op's manual as we speak. Still have to buy oil and a gas can. Have a one gallon that I use for the lawnmower but planning on getting a 2 gallon - - or maybe even a 5 gallon (what do you generator users recommend ?) can to travel with. For the time being the generator will sit in the back of the tow vehicle (Tacoma) until we get to the campground. Maybe some day I'll mount it to the frame of the camper    ...but for now I want the flexibility of using it for more than just camping.

Have never owned a generator before    ...but I'm a techie - - so it's fun acquiring new technotoys !!

'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 8:08pm

Congrats.  Always fun acquiring new techytoys, yes.  Make sure you run it once every 1-2 months for at least 15 minutes, to keep the seals oiled, keep moisture out of the crank case and moisture out of the carb.  Gas storage at home, I would recommend 15-20 gallons even if your area usually doesn't loose power (I don't have optimism for the future of the North American power grid, either from terrorism or age).  On the road will depend on your needs.  If you use it to top the battery off a few times over a week you won't need anything other than what is in the tank.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 9:26pm
About 3 years ago a giant red oak about 24 inches through the center fell across our dead end road, even with 4wd you could not get around it through the woods due to the 2 ft snow, temps were in the 20's. I burned the fire place and Donna and I cooked on the coleman camp stove (this was before the pod, the self contained survival pod) flashlights, oil lamps, Donna had just made a big pot of chili. took things out of the freezer, put them in coolers on the back deck weighted to keep out the coons, 3 days later we got out. I now own a 5500 constant, 8650 surge Generac generator. This will run our furnace and needed t.v. lights, both refrig, its a little cumbersome to take podding, but you could put it in the back of a truck and power the pod easily. We have only used it about 3 times since I purchased it, but I bet you if I sold it another 24 inch oak would isolate us, I am keeping the gen set.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Congrats.  Always fun acquiring new techytoys, yes.  Make sure you run it once every 1-2 months for at least 15 minutes, to keep the seals oiled, keep moisture out of the crank case and moisture out of the carb.  Gas storage at home, I would recommend 15-20 gallons even if your area usually doesn't loose power (I don't have optimism for the future of the North American power grid, either from terrorism or age).  On the road will depend on your needs.  If you use it to top the battery off a few times over a week you won't need anything other than what is in the tank.

=====================

Sage advice. I too am dubious about the future of available fuel. Hadn't even thought about "at home" supply though. Am planning on carrying either a 2 or 5 gallon container on the road when we go camping. We're not prisoners of A/C so our main interest is in keeping the battery topped off and the fridge cold (but even that we could get around with dry ice/ice in a cooler).

Thanks for the tip on running the generator on regular basis.

'Slogger
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
If I read this right, you purchased a generator that won't power the AC?  Why would you do that?  At a minimum, I'd want something that could power all of my appliances, even if it were only one at a time.  I don't get it.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>