R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSewage smell.. propane leak?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
plains View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewage smell.. propane leak?
    Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:25pm
We still can't figure it out, but will report back when we do. The black water tank doesn't smell anything like this smell, and the grey water tank has no odor. Because of this, we have determined a small animal is either living or has died in part of our trailer. We checked the space under the shower as thoroughly as we can, but there are no droppings or signs of anything. It's a mystery for the time being.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 8:06pm
Sorry to hear of your travails.  Really don't have any suggestions, but am most interested in the final result.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 5:55pm
As far the inside goes:
Our mattress is brand new. We ripped out the futon and installed a real bed first thing after buying our Pod. It doesn't smell around the toilet in the bathroom, and the toilet doesn't appear to be loose. There are no signs of moisture around any of the connections on the pipe going from the toilet to the black water tank, and the pipe doesn't seem to be the source of the odor. The hot water heater smells the strongest of anything, but our hot water doesn't stink, and I'm guessing that the styrofoam insulation around it is simply absorbing the smell better than anything else.

As far as outside goes:
It smells strongest around the driver side tire, in-between the black water dump valve and the wheel well. It's not the actual valve, as that doesn't have any kind of odor, and I don't see any obvious leaks or signs of trouble around the black water tank on that side.

I'm stumped. Thinking I might have to take it to a repair center. Last time I called they were booked 2 months out. All this for a phantom smell.
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:22pm
Have you checked the toilet?  I took mine off to replace the rear flush
 value and there is a rubber/foam "washer" between the toilet (pipe) and the floor - this is a vapor seal from toilet to tank ... Only costs a few dollars. I would try to gently rock toilet side-to-side to see if it loose. If loose, tighten bolts on sides of toilet. If not, it might be worth while taking toilet out to check foam washer.  Hint: tighten and remove water line in rear of toilet when toilet bolts are off for better access to value fitting.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:54pm

Have you tried pulling out the mattress? I imagine they could get pretty funky.  Also, for the black tank, I've hear you can dump 10-20 lbs of ice in there before travelling to scrub things off the sides and bottom and such, then it melts and you dump it along with whatever else is in there after it melts. I imagine that is similar to what you plan on using the water softener for. Am I correct?

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:24pm
No signs of a snake or any other animal. No leaks in the plumbing under the shower or toilet. No signs of any leaks under the Pod or any holes in the tanks. Also certain it's not a propane leak as I turned that off for 12 hours and the smell lingered.

I cleaned out the p-trap below the shower, although it was hardly dirty at all. I also climbed on top and cleaned out our Cyclone sewer vent. Taking it off and looking down the pipe, I didn't see any clogs. I sprayed the hose down it a little to make sure, and water seemed to have no problem draining into the tanks, so I know air should be able to pass through as well.

My only thought is that we are still dealing with "stuff" in our black water tank from the previous owner. Maybe its compacted enough that even blasting it with our tank cleaner didn't help. Who knows, but I'm getting some water softener today, and I'm hopping that next time I dump things will improve. I still can't figure out why the smell is so prevalent around the furnace/under the shower. It also doesn't make sense that I can smell it outside, especially under the Pod.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 12:12pm
I bet you have a snake that has crawled up the vent for the furnace, they love getting into tight dark spaces hunting for mice, good luck on finding mr stinky.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:26am

A dead mouse is possible, the bottom of the pods aren't sealed well.  By now it wouldn't be LPG. 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:41am
Nope, no other LPG appliances. The gas has been off overnight, and the smell still lingers at the furnace. I am seriously wondering if an animal has somehow died in there. There's nothing visible from the back access panel, but I plan to remove the front and possibly the entire unit if need be. Perhaps if one did die in there, when we drove the Pod, it may have "aired" the stench out for us to smell. Seems far fetched to me, and I really don't know how anything could crawl in there, but I am running low on ideas.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:17am
Before you do anything make sure the battery is disconnected and the pod isn't plugged into your house to eliminate any sources of a spark.

The smell should go away quickly once the tank is off and the supply line has lost pressure - assuming it is a LPG leak.  If the smell is still there today it isn't LPG.  This is probably true since you had lit candles in there and didn't go boom!

Do you have any portable LPG appliances like a small lantern?  You could put that right up to your LP detector and turn it on (unlit) to see if it detects the gas.  It should happen quickly, I've triggered ours by leaving the toilet valve open while adding water to the black tank after dumping it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>