Topic ClosedMeeting My 1/2 Brother

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meeting My 1/2 Brother
    Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 11:32pm
I mentioned this in another thread but don't want to hijack the thread.  So here it is.

Back when my father was about 20 years old he got a young lass from Galoway Ireland pregnant.  They got married and as soon as the baby was born they divorce.  None us us kids knew about this until about a year before mother died.  Day had already passed away.  This was about 15 years ago.  My sister doesn't have a computer and my brother doesn't understand they at all.  Email is about it.  So I took it upon myself to do our family tree on Ancestry,com.  Well those 15 years I have been trying to find my new brother and he was trying to find us.  I didn't have my to go on because his mother remarried and his stepfather adopted him, changing his name.

So there I was doing the family tree.  John, my new brother, found my tree!  I have an unlisted phone number but my brother in PA doesn't so John from CA called my brother Larry in PA.  They talked for about a 1/2 hour on the phone and Larry gave him my phone number and our sisters phone number.  She lives in Youngstown, OH.  Larry called my sister and told her about it and she she started crying she was so happy.  A little bit later she gets a phone call.  When she answered John said this is...giving his birth name. There goes the tears again!  They had a nice long talk.  The John called me and we talked.

John has tried for years to find us.  He would get frustrated and stop looking then start again.  He sent me a picture of himself when he was 19 years old.  I put it on my computer screen along with a picture of dad at 20 then called my wife over to see the pictures.  Her response was "Oh my God!  They look like twins!". 

I'm 65, Larry will be 67 on 9/11 and my sister is 72.  John is 82.  All those years that we could have known each other gone.  John said he feels like a little kid again because we found each other.  His wife died a few years ago.  He has 2 daughters but only 1 knows about us.  I'll have to ask him about that when we have out get together next month.  Larry and I are flying to CA to spend a couple days with him.  My sisters health prevents her from going.

Johns mother was afraid that dad would try to get full custody of him so she moved, changed her name and sent John to a boarding school in Canada until he was 10 years old and remarried and John was adopted.  He found all this out when his mother died and he was going through her papers. 

Now John has his family roots all the way back to our 4th. Great Grandfather in Ireland.  He is very excited!  The reunion we are going to have that week next month is going to be a real exciting time for the McGee brothers.  All 3 of us!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 11:49pm
Quite a story.  Have a wonderful reunion.  Nice to have family.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 2:15pm
That's a story for the 6 pm news.  So happy ya'll finally found each other.  We'll need pics of course.  :-)
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 4:26pm
I got back yesterday from visiting with my "new" brother.  We had a great time and did a lot of sight seeing around San Fransisco.  He can have that city! 

Terry
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 6:33pm
Glad for the reunion!

If you disliked San Francisco, I'm sorry.  On the very few occasions I have had a chance to visit that area, I enjoyed it a lot.

If you mean that there is no chance in H*** that you would leave North Florida for California, I agree 100%!

We will be visiting Anastasia State Park next month, and Gamble Rogers State Park in November.  (We leave the Gulf coast to visit you, many of you leave the Atlantic coast to visit us!  What a great life!)

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 8:10pm
I have enjoyed San Francisco every time I visited.  All SF trips were pleasure trips.  All of my Florida trips were for work and were to untangle sticky problems and normally get lots of grief for doing it.  I don't have happy memories for Florida.  Some day I will vacation in Florida and change my mind.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:51pm
Like ANY city there was too much traffic.  Plus it was cold...63*.

Terry
GypsyEdie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 9:21pm
Hi Terry,

Glad you had a good time with your half brother.  When I visited San Francisco years ago, I loved the city but that doesn't mean that I would live there.  It's a great place to see and then come home to Florida.  Like you, I feel this is the best place to live.  It was great to meet you and we enjoyed having breakfast with you.
Gypsy Edie & Joe
A Yorkie named Kona
2013 R-Pod 177 named Gypsy Pod
2005 Toyota 4 runner
Cedar Key, FL
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by GypsyEdie

Hi Terry,

Glad you had a good time with your half brother.  When I visited San Francisco years ago, I loved the city but that doesn't mean that I would live there.  It's a great place to see and then come home to Florida.  Like you, I feel this is the best place to live.  It was great to meet you and we enjoyed having breakfast with you.

I hope you enjoyed your visit.  Did everything work out for you guys?  Any problems?

Terry
GypsyEdie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 2:47pm
Hi Terry,

We went back to Lazydays and told them about the missing pad under the hitch bar and guess what?  They said that the manufacturer doesn't send it to them anymore and that we would have to buy our own !  Other than that, we did pretty good unhooking the van (with some help) and hooking it back up.  I think I got it!  We did buy the lock that you mentioned.  The next trip will be to Crystal River, only an hour from home and then I'll start messing with the R Dome.

Let me know when you want to do a Florida get together.
Gypsy Edie & Joe
A Yorkie named Kona
2013 R-Pod 177 named Gypsy Pod
2005 Toyota 4 runner
Cedar Key, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply