Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHandling Noisy Neighbors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handling Noisy Neighbors
    Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 4:39pm
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">We started our annual 5 night camping trip on Green Bay on Saturday. The campgrounds was full.  We had reservations so that was no problem.  Sunday folks started to empty out the campgrounds and we expected the remaining days would be nice and quiet. Sunday was.  Monday after noon, in came a truck camper with an older couple and 2 dogs next to us.  An hour later in came the rest of the family (to the same site) with another car, motorcycle, 2 more dogs, a tent, 2 adults and 3 grade school boys.  They set up and literally filled up the site with stuff, people and 4 little dogs.  Monday and Tuesday the people, including the young boys were very quiet and good neighbors, except for the dogs.  Every time someone walked by the dogs barked and occasionally the dogs had disagreements among themselves and they barked.  We said nothing Monday and Tuesday trying to be good neighbors.  On Wed, however, everyone but one person left.  The older gentleman went in to take a nap and the dogs began to bark for 20 minutes straight.  By then I decided I needed to salvage the day we had left so I knocked on the camper door and politely said “we have listened to your dogs bark for 2 days could you kindly control them”.  He immediately said Yes!!! And I walked home.   The remainder of the day there was barely a peep out of the dogs which leads me to believe they were just used to the noise. 

What would you have done and when?

Dave
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 6:24pm
Sounds to me like you were more than patient with the situation and we very reasonable in your actions.
It's was good that you approached them first neighborly before complaining to the campground staff.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:13pm
I think you handled it correctly. We travel with two small dogs and if you don't stay on top of them they will bark. They are in a strange place with strange people they don't know where their territory is and sometimes there are strange dogs. All it takes to to control most dogs is a firm word from their master. If my dogs were acting up I would want people to handle it the way you did. Tell me and I will look after it. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:32pm
It seems like a large number of campers have dogs. I dont mind dogs, Donna and I like to walk the camp grounds for excercise and they bark at us , thats ok thats what they do, they are in strange places and not sure who is who ect. Sometimes when we camp there always seems to be one camper who has the yapping, barking noisy dog. I have also noticed that when some people camp they are heading out to somer other function, family get together etc, thats ok but don't tie your dog to a tree and have them bark, yelp and howl and ruin it for the rest of us. I have a cat, his name is hunter and we leave him home when we camp.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 7:43am
I would have not waited that long to confront them.  Years ago, maybe, but not anymore.  I am so tired of someone else's behavior infringing on my opportunity to have a nice and relaxing time.  I absolutely despise dogs at campgrounds.  Everyone thinks the world just loves their little monsters as much as they do.  Guess what?  They don't.  And for all you of you who think your dogs are good and quiet when you're gone, guess what?  Most of the time, they are not.  They started barking as soon as you left and got quite just as you pulled back into your site.  You don't know this because 1) you're not there while they're barking and 2) most people don't have the balls to approach you when you return to tell you how obnoxious your animals were while you were gone.   And before anyone asks, no, I'm not at the campground to make any friends.  If it happens, fine, but it's not my primary intention of camping.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I would have not waited that long to confront them.  Years ago, maybe, but not anymore.  I am so tired of someone else's behavior infringing on my opportunity to have a nice and relaxing time.  I absolutely despise dogs at campgrounds.  Everyone thinks the world just loves their little monsters as much as they do.  Guess what?  They don't.  And for all you of you who think your dogs are good and quiet when you're gone, guess what?  Most of the time, they are not.  They started barking as soon as you left and got quite just as you pulled back into your site.  You don't know this because 1) you're not there while they're barking and 2) most people don't have the balls to approach you when you return to tell you how obnoxious your animals were while you were gone.   And before anyone asks, no, I'm not at the campground to make any friends.  If it happens, fine, but it's not my primary intention of camping.

(Sarcasm alert)

I feel the same way about kids maybe we can keep them out of the campgrounds to.

(end alert)

Seriously I camp because I want to travel with my dogs and we don't usually go anywhere where I cannot take the dogs. I have only left the dogs alone in the trailer a couple of times and they were quite. How do I know. Well I asked my neighbors if they heard anything while I was gone. As a matter of fact my dogs are more likely to bark when I pull back into the site than while I am gone because they are so glad we are back. I am sure that you can find campsites that don't allow dogs but if you choose to go to one that does then some barking is expected and if there is a problem come to us and tell us nicely because IMHO the only thing worse that an obnoxious dog is an obnoxious human. I do like to make friends while I am camping but I don't like being backed into a corner by someone who thinks that they have a right to absolute peace and quite in a public place so if someone brings me attitude I am more likely to return it. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:23am
One of the reasons that we enjoy camping so much is that we can take our dogs with us.  We rarely leave them in the pod, and when we do they are in their kennels and quiet.  We kennel trained them from puppy on, and they will not bark when in the kennels.

We also are aware of the danger of leaving them alone in the pod were there to be a failure of the AC on a very hot day.  They go with us 99% of the time.  We also have pockets full of plastic bags and pick up after them (and sometimes other dogs when necessary).  And I also resent it when a loud mouth comes up and gives me grief because he doesn't like dogs.  Mine are good citizens.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:36pm
I am with you Ray/Connie, most of the dogs dont bother us, I dont mind they bark when we are walking, but there is a minority (I hope) that lets them poop on the road/walking trails and leave them out when they are gone. Yeah kids laugh have fun , yell ride bikes and squeal at the sight of a snake or a bug, but that is different than 3 hours of howling while mom and dad go to whatever, I know public places have no guarante of complete quiet, but I don't blast my radio. shoot my guns or talk loud out of respect for others. Its about respect for others, not what I want.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:37pm
P.S. Keith and Dar, you are my kind of campers, I hope to be next to you guys sometimes, we can all get get together and have a good quiet time.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Seanl

Originally posted by this_is_nascar

(Sarcasm alert)

I feel the same way about kids maybe we can keep them out of the campgrounds to.

(end alert)

Seriously I camp because I want to travel with my dogs and we don't usually go anywhere where I cannot take the dogs. I have only left the dogs alone in the trailer a couple of times and they were quite. How do I know. Well I asked my neighbors if they heard anything while I was gone. As a matter of fact my dogs are more likely to bark when I pull back into the site than while I am gone because they are so glad we are back. I am sure that you can find campsites that don't allow dogs but if you choose to go to one that does then some barking is expected and if there is a problem come to us and tell us nicely because IMHO the only thing worse that an obnoxious dog is an obnoxious human. I do like to make friends while I am camping but I don't like being backed into a corner by someone who thinks that they have a right to absolute peace and quite in a public place so if someone brings me attitude I am more likely to return it. 

You say that sarcastically about the "no kids", but I've actually searched for "adult only" campgrounds.  I've yet been able to find any.  I think it's a great business opportunity for someone, as I'd attend in a heartbeat.  For whatever reason, over the last several years, I've found myself becoming more and more anti-social.  I have next to zero tolerance for inconsiderate people and find myself being further drawn into camping where no one else is present.  I find that anymore people have this "right of entitlement" attitude, whereas that feel that since they paid for a campsite (whether at at state park or campsite), it gives them a right to do whatever they want.  I'm sorry, but you (collectively you), lose your right when your actions infringe on my right to enjoy myself.  Barking dogs, screaming kids, loud radios, etc do just that.

At the rate I'm going, I think I'm destined for one of those little villages in Alaska :).

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>