R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk Caulk ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dsmiths View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Talk Caulk ...
    Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 8:37pm
Me to Goose.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 2:42pm
Well, I originally thought I was going to get about 4 or 5 recommendations for a readily available/non-lethal sealant.

I guess I'll hit WalMart and grab some Poly Seam Seal    ...

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 12:23pm
  Well Burt thanks for all the info on the right way to use this product. I am smart enough to know not to use a propane torch to heat rocket fuel, but do have a few scars that say STUPID on my forehead.    Goose   
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:59am
Goose:

The warning is from previous uses and knowing how much of an adherent and waterproofer this stuff is.  My original source is from a contractor and a millwright.  They use a lot of Vulkem. 

It's also a very good idea to use some disposable rubber gloves to spread it with a finger rather than any kind of trowel or putty knife.  If you use a bare finger trowel, some very good hand cleaner is necessary.

Another tip is to be able to have it at a "warm" temperature, like 60 ir 70 but don't force that, let the sun or the ambient temperatures do that for you.  No microwave or any other dumb guy stuff.

It behaves a lot like bunker fuel or NSFO, or roofing tar.  It sticks, stays and waterproofs.

No movies cuz I didn't want my wife to know much about wrecking a good ballcap.

Burt
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:35am
And if you did, we want to see the video.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:27pm
  Thanks for the tip on the Vulkem. With reguard to your warning, does it make your clothes go up in flames and your hair fall out. If so I hope that you did not find this out first hand.   Tongue   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:37pm
Slogger:

Well, I don't know what others do and yet I am also a newbie owner of an RPOD but I did find a sealer that works perfect.  We had a separation  the rear window.  As far as cleaning goes, strip or pull out any loose stuff first but don't dig into the window or door frames or the surface of the POD.

BTW, this comes from house/ranch repair living in a high prairie environment with temperature swings as much as 70 degrees in a day.  I had trouble keeping paint on the weather sides of our house until I discovered Vulkem 116.  It is a vulcanized rubbery compound that will take a few days to glaze over and then you can paint it.  You won't need to paint it on a POD but I can say that none of our window sills door frames that I have coated with the Vulkem and then painted have chipped, faded, peeled or showed any signs of wear.

The same is true around the window of our RPOD 171.  The rear window had some gaps in it and I sealed it with white Vulkem and no leaks or distortions or separating ever.  That stuff is wonderful.

I might mention that I have also used polyseamseal stuff to no great satisfaction at all.  Most of their claims are somewhat provincial and platitudinous to say the least.

If you want something that works, try the vulkem. You can get it at Home Depot in the paint section.   Just don't get any on your clothing or in your hair.

Burt
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:26pm

Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 2:02pm
We've touched on this topic in other threads      ...but I've been wondering more and more about the actual "process" of caulking/seam sealing.

Starting with a factory sealant job    ...what's first - - a good washing    ...correct?

Then what ? Do you try and remove/wipe away the base coat of sealant (that has now discolored) ?

Or, do you just cut off the tip on a tube of Polyseam Seal, run out a bead and smooth it into the seam(s) with your finger ?

And, what do you generally use as a solvent to clean up the old sealant and spills or overages of the new stuff. My guess would be Mineral Spirits.

Interested in hearing what other Pod owner have done and recommend.

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply