R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway control hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway control hitch
    Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Dougcc

Has anyone used the Equalizer Sway Control Hitch? I've got he 177 r-Pod and am wondering which model sway control hitch I should get. I travel light so would say added weight is about 125 lbs. The Pod specs say the camper is about 2400+ lbs. The air conditioner and propane tank will increase that.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Doug

=========================

We have at 177 and added the Equalizer hitch earlier this year. We went with the 600/6,000 model. That is overkill both for our load (fully loaded r-pod) and our tow vehicle (2011 Tacoma short bed; 4dr; 6 cyl; std trans) but I like that margin of safety. We went back and forth between the 400/4,000 and the 600/6,000 model. Technically, the 400/4,000 was sufficient but if we ever decide to move "up" to a bigger RV we will be covered.

Prior to adding the Equalizer we had several serious "sway" episodes that really had me doing a death grip on the wheel WAY too often. Since installing the Equalizer I can honestly say that we have not had a single sway episode - - and my grip on the steering wheel has relaxed considerably.

The only thing I will say about the hitch is that you really need to familiarlize yourself with it. We left on a trip and had it installed by an Equalizer dealer (rv dealer) along the way. I had purchased the hitch off of the internet but decided to pay the hour of installation time and have it done by someone who has installed these things before. When we got home from that trip I got out the owner's manual/installation guide and started to read over the process. Having watched the dealer do the install, I now felt more comfortable working on it myself. Long story short    ...I ended up doing a total "de-install" and then a full "re-intall", going step by step through the manual. Found out that the dealer had cut a few corners - - or maybe I'm just a perfectionist. But, I am much more comfortable with how it is now adjusted and works.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:19am
I use an E2 Hitch which is a less expensive version of the Equalizer hitch. We have had several discussions of the different options. Check out these threads there are a few others on this topic as well

There are others but these are the most resent. You can use the search function to find them Use advanced search to get older posts.  

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Dougcc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 7:44am
Has anyone used the Equalizer Sway Control Hitch? I've got he 177 r-Pod and am wondering which model sway control hitch I should get. I travel light so would say added weight is about 125 lbs. The Pod specs say the camper is about 2400+ lbs. The air conditioner and propane tank will increase that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply