FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew from Virginia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from Virginia
    Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 9:08am
Hi All,
We (Mary and Parker) purchased our Rpod 177 in May 2011 and made one fairly long trip with it to Iowa and back.  Pulled with a 1998 Ford Explorer V6 with 220,000+ mile on it.  I t did good! But with the high mileage decided to get some else.  Now 2008 Nissan Frontier SE with 4.L v-6, 4x4.  Love the truck but a gas hog when pulling.  Just returned from a trip of 2,500 mile that took us through IN where we camp with the FROG International rally.  There were 4 r-pod including our.  One owner (Bill and Judy) were very helpful and told us about this forum.  So here we are.  The saleman (where we got the pod) advised us not to get the dome room.   Said it was hell to put us and take down.  We heard different at the rally and would like to here more on that subject.
Parker and Mary
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 9:29am
Welcome!  The R-Dome is not that difficult to setup, I think it is easy.  But...being 6'4" probably helps me with this process.  I think it is worth it, for my use anyway.  If not, a separate pop-op screen suffices nicely.  I carry both in my Pod.  My pop-up screen is a Coleman...got it at Cost o for $79.  Sometimes we use both or just one of the other.

Search the forums here....many good tips and tricks for the dome use, even videos.  Main ones are....;
Spray silicone in the channel to slide it in easier (...the dome😉)
Make sure the screw heads are all the tightened and jot sticking too far out in the channel.
File of or sand the sharp edges as to not tear the dome
Practice it once or twice on a non-windy day in a flat area on your drive.

Enjoy.
X
Parkmary View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:36am
Thanks.  We have a Coleman screen room that we also use.LOL
Parker and Mary
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 11:36am
Welcome. We think it is a bit of a pain. We only set it up for weeklong trips or if we know it will rain all weekend. Most of the time we only use our EZ-ups.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 12:20pm
   We love the R-Dome for the shade that it gives, we do not put it up for over nighters but for the 4 weeks that we are in AZ. you can't beat it. As far as hard to put up,one can do it by yourself but it is easier with two.    Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 2:06pm
I have no experience with the r-dome yet, but, trust me, I am about to become an expert!

We take delivery on our new R Pod 177 on next Wednesday.  One of the important pieces of instruction, for me, will be the installation of the r-dome.  It is one of the primary selling points for my wife, (the other two being that our pups can accompany us, and that there is a bathroom!)

I can assure you that the r-dome wil be erected on each and every outing, and that I will be pleased to share my (about to be found) expertise with other members of the Forum!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Parkmary View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:25am
Thanks.  I will try some of the options I have visited in the posts.  Some great idea out there.
Parker and Mary
The E Train View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 11:00pm
For what it is worth (and one more opinion to add to the mix), I have put my r-dome up by myself 6 times so far and have never had any issues. It takes me less than 5 minutes to go from bag to shade; another minute if I decide to pound in some stakes in the corners.

I did heed the advice through this forum (RacerX summarized above), and watched a video (can't recall where, but it was one guy showing his technique). Those tips are invaluable....

My only complaint about the r-dome, is that on my 176T, I can't open the door fully - it hits the roof of the dome. Other than that, I love it, and get a lot of compliments from other campers on it. Oh, and with the sides closed, the pod door open, and the A/C on - you can cool your "outdoor room" too! Tongue
"What happens in the POD, stays in the POD."
2002 Dakota (pulling a) 2012 R-Pod 176T
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 8:08am
Hi Folks,

We have the dome for our pod and truly love it. We used a silicon spray in the track and I can stand at one end and slide it right through the track with ease. Melissa and I can set up the dome in litterally 5 minutes. We then take our table our and set it up in the dome, give us a lot of great extra room.
When we bought our pod, our dealer worked with us for about an hour showing us little trick to getting it set up and he practiced setting it up with us. it is really a great feature!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 9:18am
Yes, we love our Dome too and I would not be without it. Once in a while we do not use it if we are just staying overnight somewhere or in a friend's driveway but otherwise it is always in use. It doubles the space of our Pod. It is not hard to put up. We reinforced the spot where the door hits the ceiling BEFORE it wore through with duct tape.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>