R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The E Train View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 9:04pm
+1 !!!!
"What happens in the POD, stays in the POD."
2002 Dakota (pulling a) 2012 R-Pod 176T
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Originally posted by Brigs

Seanl and this_is_nascar

While yes I am canadian, I just came back to canada after being deployed with 10th mountain division (ny state) for a year in Afghanistan, and the year before that I was in ny state in fort drum with 10 mountain. So I guess I can say it was a fun 2 years working with the US army.

US or Canada, I don't care which country you fought for.  You and your family have scacraficed for the benefit of others.  For that, I say thank you.

Amen
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Brigs

Seanl and this_is_nascar

While yes I am canadian, I just came back to canada after being deployed with 10th mountain division (ny state) for a year in Afghanistan, and the year before that I was in ny state in fort drum with 10 mountain. So I guess I can say it was a fun 2 years working with the US army.

US or Canada, I don't care which country you fought for.  You and your family have scacraficed for the benefit of others.  For that, I say thank you.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:49pm
As was said before: thanks for your service.  We appreciate it!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Brigs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:38pm
Seanl and this_is_nascar

2012 Ford F150 FX4
2011 Rpod RP176T
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 3:14pm
I mention this in step 16 in the link I gave, above.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:40pm
Wow.  Had no idea.  Now that I think about it, I do recall that ice cube trays have slanted wall, but never gave a thought as to why.  Live and learn.  Well, will have to be diligent and empty both tanks before retiring the Rpod for the winter.  Thanks so much for that info.  I thought I was home free.  Hope that helps others, too.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Which brings up another interesting question.  Since ice expands in volume, and the tanks would not be more than one third full, let's say, wouldn't I still be safe if they do freeze and the ice just climbs up in the tank with lots of expansion room?  Safe Travels.

I wish that were the case. Then you could just leave the pump off, turn on the taps and the water would just "expand" out of the faucet Wink. Unfortunately the expansion is in more than one dimension. In the case of the tanks it would also expand in width and length and possibly break the tank or damage the frame/mounting hardware. This is why food containers that are approved for freezer use have slanted sides. It allows the frozen material to just rise up as it gets wider. Ice cube trays use the same approach. If your ice cube trays had straight walls it would just shatter the tray when the cubes got wider.

You can have a very small amount of water at the bottom of the tank (fraction of an inch) and it should freeze and expand without harm because it's not confined in any dimension.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Full instructions found in the first item on this list:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723&title=creating-an-instruction-maintanence-manual

With no compressor and/or the blow-out plug, one alternative is to do the rest of the winterization first.  You may need to use a little extra antifreeze to ensure you have displaced all of the water.  Once the system is full of antifreeze carefully remove the screen on the city water connection, you can then press in the one-way valve with your finger.  That should allow antifreeze to escape to displace the water in that connection.

Before you do this step (should be the very last step in winterizing as far as I'm concerned), turn on a faucet for a second to relieve the pressure in the system, then turn the faucet off, then proceed with this step.  You don't want pressure in the sytem when your press that "tit".

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 12:38pm
Which brings up another interesting question.  Since ice expands in volume, and the tanks would not be more than one third full, let's say, wouldn't I still be safe if they do freeze and the ice just climbs up in the tank with lots of expansion room?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>