R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRDome channel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RDome channel
    Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 10:39am
When putting up our R-Dome for the first time, I found that the screen skirt was the hardest part.

I guess if you are using the 'Dome just for shade, you may never even be concerned about the skirt, but a major benefit of the 'Dome for us is an area for the Campin' Cocker Spaniels to roam around in, and we'd just as soon they were unable to escape into "nature".

Aside from the requirement to cut slits in the fabric to clear the axel and stairs, (thank you all very much for guidance in that regard), the addition of fender-mounted running lights on newer models has resulted in a pair of wire conduit covers that must be by-passed under the fender, and which make pushing / pulling the skirt into position a real challenge.  You have to pass them on the proper side or the fabric bunches up and becomes impossible to advance.  Once I got the skirt in place, the rest of the 'Dome went up in about 15 minutes!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Oma and O pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 1:24pm
I have a 2010 171 but didn't get the rdome with it.  I bought one from a private party and didn't try to put it up until recently.  The plastic thing is too big for the track.  I spoke with the dealer and he told me Forest River changed the size of the plastic on the rdomes and the metal track on rpods and made them both bigger in 2010.  But with the newer models, they went back to the original size.  My dilemma:  Do I sell my bigger plastic rdome and buy a smaller plastic rdome to fit my smaller rpod track?  Or change out the track on my rpod to a bigger track to fit my dome?  I'm curious as to why Forest River went back to original size track and plastic piece?  I would need to sell my rdome to someone who has the bigger track?  Most importantly, which one works better?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 2:14pm
Welcome.  I haven't heard of any advantages or disadvantages to either, but my guess at the time was the larger track would be easier to pull the welt through.  Hadn't heard that they went back to the smaller track.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 2:19pm
From what I heard they changed to the bigger track, because the r-dome after a while pulled out of the smal track. I am not talking about pulling out on either end but in the middle. Have not heard that they went back to the smal track. I have changed mine to the bigger track to fit my r-dome.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 1:32am
   Oma and O you might be able to have the correct size bead sewn on to the R-Dome that you have, just check with a local tent and awning shop. I would think that maybe less expensive than trading your R-Dome for a new one.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Oma and O pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 1:42pm
Good suggestion Goose.  I'll look into it.  The guy at the dealship told me they went back to the original smaller track.  I don't know if it's true or not.  I would like to look at the Hood River Edition.  Our closest dealership is about 70 miles away. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12