R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddinette bench ends

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dinette bench ends
    Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 1:07pm
I'm looking for an idea to replace the cheap dinette ends (the things that keep the cushions from sliding off) with something sturdier. One if the screws is pulling out of the wall after just a week and they're pretty flimsy. I'm thinking of having someone make a wooden equivalent but I'm curious to see if anyone here already has some great ideas.
Amanda and Steve
Trouble (our non-camping kitty)
Lily Pod (2013 R-Pod 177)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:20pm

The one on my 171 disintegrated almost right away, I just removed it.  No issues with the cusions moving.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:20pm
I replaced the wood screws with bolts, washers on the inside and nuts.  No more trouble.  The fabric covered caps on the screws pop off easily with a flat screwdriver and pop right on.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:54pm
I agree that they are less than sturdy.

I intend to back them up with some 6 mm Okume plywood scraps from my current sailboat build.  I'm not so much concerned that the cushions will wander as I am with the cosmetics of the end caps.  They match several other trim pieces of our RP 177.  I'd hate to see them go....
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 12:08pm
Wow, I was impressed when I saw the 2013 version of the end caps,,as our RPod is a 2011. Guess no matter what year,,,they are flimsy. Ours are also uncomfortable,,want to replace them with more paddding,,,or possibly wooden molding.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Robwid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 11:17pm
I've had the same issue with the one closest to the door.  I used a long wood screw on the left and a bolt on the right.  Even though the screws had started to pull out of the wall after re-attaching with the new hardware the wall screws are holding just fine.
Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
wagnert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 12:06am
I removed the dinette bench ends, and lowered them about 1 1/2" so that you can sit on the end of the bench and face the rear of the R-Pod (for example, to tie your shoes). Or sit on the end and swing your legs in to sit at dinette.  There is still enough endcap to hold the seat cushions. Makes a huge comfort difference not having the end cap press into your thighs.  I used 1 1/4" #8 stainless wood screws (which are heavier than the originals) with a shoulder-shaped finishing washer. Stainless looks good. Did not worry about covering the screws heads. There is plenty of wood in the benches when you lower the endcaps to hold the screws. I used three screws on each in addition to lowering and re-attaching the L-bracket at the top of the endcap. Total effect was much sturdier than the original install.

Also I removed the sockets that are along the front of each bench to hold the table when in the down position. We eliminated them completely and have not had and issues with the table moving while underway. Got some annoying gashes from those sockets when the were there. We always connect the strap that is acorss the top of the table in the down position.

It's a quick mod worth doing. Nice improvement.
Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:21pm
There was only one of those things on mine, and I removed it right away after getting several gashes.  No issues with the table shifting on ours, either.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
LarryK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 10:24pm
We've noticed the end caps being uncomfortable, just as you have mentioned.  One of ours came off and I planned to remove the other, but your idea of lowering them may be what I will do.  Thanks for posting the solution. I also planned to remove those other things under the table.
2012 R Pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab
4.7 Liter V8
wagnert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 11:02pm
I think you will like the lowered bench end pieces. I also considered just removing then, but lowering them gives the dinette a finished look. The screws Forest River uses for the original install are a bit wimpy. The heavier stainless steel screws give a very secure attachment.
Happy RVing!
Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>