R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 10:24pm
I have one of those small compressors that you use to keep bike/cars tires inflated. There isn't anyway to regulate the air pressure. Has anyone used one of these to blow out their water system?  

Thanks
Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 8:39am
I Doubt it has enough flow to do the job. Those things don't have a tank, and a very small piston.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 7:52am
Spend the $10 for 2-gallons of the pink stuff and in 30-minutes or less, you'll be done winterizing.   You won't have to wonder if you blew-out all the water or not either.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 4:43pm
I winterized ours this afternoon.  Took about half an hour and only had one boo-boo.  The same one as last year.  I didn't remember to open one of the hot water taps before I removed the anode rod from the water heater.  Got a face full of cold water.  Felt great with the 47 degree ambient temp.  Could have been worse...
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:11pm
I've got a question for the group   ...

So I installed the little "L" valve at the input side of the water pump a while back. Works fine. A few days ago I hooked up an air compressor to the city water input and blew out the lines - - that worked fine.

Tonight and the next 3-4 nights are supposed to be in the teens so I decided to pull some antifreeze into the plumbing. I took off the brass cap on the "L" valve assembly, hooked up the metal cap with clear hose and dipped it into a bottle of RV antifreeze. Turned on the pump and 6-8 seconds later the gallon bottle was sucked dry. So   ...I repeated that process - - 4 times. Yeah, that's right    ...I ran sucked 4 gallons of antifreeze into the plumbing of my 177. All of the bypass valves were set correctly and none of the antifreeze went into the hot water tank. It would have leaked right out anyway (and I would have seen it) because I have the anode pulled and the hot water tank drained.

My question is    ...where did all that 4 gallons of antifreeze go and why, when I ran the pump again, don't I see any pink stuff coming out of the cold water side of the sink ? Seems like even if I added some water and diluted the antifreeze a little it would still have some color.

Anyway    ...in a couple days, once the artic express blows through Laramie, I am thinking about putting some water into one of the empty antifreeze bottles, hooking up the feed hose and running the pump again, just to see if the system "pressurizes" and I see pink stuff coming out of the cold water side at the sink or in the bathroom when I turn on the faucet. I am just amazed that the "plumbing" of the 177 has a 4 gallon capacity. Oh yeah    ...and I got on my knees and checked for leaks or anything running out of any visible hoses/tanks/low point drains on the underside.

Thanks in advance   ...

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Robwid

I have one of those small compressors that you use to keep bike/cars tires inflated. There isn't anyway to regulate the air pressure. Has anyone used one of these to blow out their water system?  
Thanks

===============

That's what I used. It's a 3 gallon/100 PSI pancake compressor. It has an output regulator so that you can avoid damaging your plumbing with high air pressures. Worked like a charm. I found a quick release fitting with a hose thread that screwed directly into the city water input. I started opening spigots, closest to the compressor first until I reached the bathroom and then did the toilet. When all was said and done only air was coming out of the faucets/toilet valve.

'Slogger
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:28pm
I have the same type plumbing provided by the factory.  I drained the first jug in a few seconds, and almost right away I had anti freeze coming out the sink faucet (hot and cold).  I shut them and opened the bathroom sink faucets and in a few seconds had pink flowing from them.  Last I opened the flush valve on the toilet and waited until pink came from that.  I had about an inch left in the second gallon.  I blew it oot first so the faucets ran pink as soon as anything came out.  I don't know where all the anti-freeze went in your pod.  I ran a bit down each trap including the shower trap to protect each of them, and still had a few ounces of the two gallons I bought left.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I have the same type plumbing provided by the factory.  I drained the first jug in a few seconds, and almost right away I had anti freeze coming out the sink faucet (hot and cold).  I shut them and opened the bathroom sink faucets and in a few seconds had pink flowing from them.  Last I opened the flush valve on the toilet and waited until pink came from that.  I had about an inch left in the second gallon.  I blew it oot first so the faucets ran pink as soon as anything came out.  I don't know where all the anti-freeze went in your pod.  I ran a bit down each trap including the shower trap to protect each of them, and still had a few ounces of the two gallons I bought left.

=================

Your pump is under the bed right ? That's where you connected the line to the "L" valve and pulled the antifreeze into the system (of course, with the hot water heater lines bypassed)? I was flabbergasted when it just kept pulling antifreeze into the line but the system never seemed to "pressurize". In other words, the pump never shut off like it does when you are pulling water from the holding tank during a regular camping trip.

All I know is that there are 4 gallons of antifreeze in the plumbling of my 177 and I can't seem to get it to flow out of the cold water faucets at the sink or in the bathroom - - really strange. Wish we weren't having temps in the teens for the next several days because I'd really like to research this further.

'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:57pm

======================

Just curious     ...how did you manage to get antifreeze to run out of your HOT water faucets ? Did you pull antifreeze into your hot water heater ? Seems like that's the only way there would be active flow on the hot water side of the house.

Thanks,

'Slogger
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

======================

Just curious     ...how did you manage to get antifreeze to run out of your HOT water faucets ? Did you pull antifreeze into your hot water heater ? Seems like that's the only way there would be active flow on the hot water side of the house.

Thanks,

'Slogger

NOPE.. all the hot water plumbing is still intact when the water heater is in BYPASS.. just doesn't go THROUGH the WH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>