R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChanging flat tire - Event Date: 09 Oct 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Changing flat tire
    Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 7:04pm
Could someone please advise how to change a flat tire with the spare tire provided?  Where is the wheel jack and jacking point?  I assume stablilizer jacks are not designed for carry full load of the trailer.
GranPod
2013 RPOD 177
2012 Chevrolet Colorado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 8:58pm

Welcome.  You need to provide a jack, often the one in your TV (tow vehicle) will work but you may need to use blocks to get it high enough.  The official word is don't lift by the frame, and don't lift by the axle.  Some here agree that the only reasonable solution is to use a piece of wood to spread the load on the frame and lift on the frame as close to the wheel as possible.  

Never use the built-in stabilizer jacks to lift the pod.  When used as stabilizers you want to make contact with the ground and turn the handle maybe 2 more times tops to apply some pressure.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 10:25am
If you look closely at your axle adjacent to the wheel-hub, you will see a couple of vertical flanges welded to the axle. (one member has a nice set of photos...use 'search' to find them) You put your own jack under the flanges to lift that side of the Pod. The flanges spread the Pod's weight along that part of the axle for lifting (don't lift on the round part of the axle!). Check on any wiring that might be pinched when you lift the axle. If needed, move the wiring, to prevent cutting the brake wires when the jack pad or axle is lifted. I use a 'scissor' jack to lift the axle.  A larger jack will lift the Pod more easily but takes more storage room.
You will also need a wheel nut wrench to remove the wheel nut lugs.  I use a 'collapseable' cross-type wrench...it has four different nut sizes and stores in a very little space.
I use a pair of wheel chocks to prevent the wheel from rotating while I am loosing or tightening the lugs.  A friend of mine has his wife push on the tow vehicle's brakes to cause the Pod's brakes to lock its wheels.
After replacing the wheel, tighten the wheel lugs in a diagonal pattern until the wheel is correctly snugged onto the hub. Tighten the lugs as hard as possible.  The recommended torque is 100 ft/lbs.  I find that I am not strong enough to tighten the lugs that tight using a normal (or collapseable) lug wrench.  I use my torque wrench set to 100 when I get home.  Of course, you could carry a torque wrench with if you are worried you haven't tightened the lugs sufficiently.

TIDALWAVE
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 2:36pm
Here is my suggestion,,,AAA!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 4:25pm
Or Good Sam!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 6:30pm
AAA or Good Sam are great,  unless you're 50 miles in the forests of Montana and you do not have cell phone reception.   I came upon a lady and her young son an hour and half drive on a gravel Natl. Forest Road in Northern Colorado last summer.  She had taken a 'short cut' through the forest.  But she had gotten a flat and her husband had forgotten to replace the jack in her trunk.  She was literally in tears and her little boy was starting to panic. No one had come by all morning and cell phones didn't work.  It only took me a few minutes to jack up her car, change the tire and follow her out of the woods.  I even got a thank you card from her and her son a few weeks later.
So you really should be prepared to change your own tires.  Otherwise camp out only in urban areas.

TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply