R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo Compressor Winterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Compressor Winterization
    Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 7:14pm
I just finished winterizing my Pod and while I have a compressor I don't have a blowout plug so I use a method of winterization  that does not require a compressor.  (Edit) I just wanted to add that this is one method of winterization that I like because it does not require that you purchase and extra equipment and it works IMHO as well as any other method. 

• First I close the water valves for the Water heater and open the bypass valve. This is what it looks like when they are set

• Push the pressure release valve on the hot water tank depressurize the tank. I did not get this in the picture but It is just above plate with all the writing on it.
  • Remove the hot water heater anode and drain the hot water tank.  

• Open the siphon valve so that the pump will draw from the antifreeze bottle.
  • I understand that not All Pods have this hose some you have to remove the hose from the input of the pump and attach a siphon hose.
  • The valve handle lines up with the hose you want the pump to draw from.

• Turn on the pump and run the hot and cold taps on the sink and shower until it runs pink.
  • Run the toilet until it runs pink. 
  • Go outside and remove the screen from the city water input and open the back flow valve by pushing on the white plastic post until pink water came out. Note that you should stand to one side when you do this because you will get sprayed if you don't. 
  • Put the screen back in. 

• This is what the screen looks like when you take it out. It pry's out with a small screwdriver.

• And this is what it looks like with the screen out. You can see the post you have to push on the release the back flow valve. 

• Shut off the pump open the taps on the sink to depressurize the system and remove the low point drain caps. 
  • Turn the pump back on and check that antifreeze is coming out of the low point drains then shut the pump off again and put the caps back on the low point drains. 

• Removed the drain plug on the fresh water tank and poured a little more antifreeze down the drains to fill the traps and the system is winterized. Took me 1/2 an hour. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 7:47pm
Very nice step by step with pics!  Now....where were you two weeks ago? ;)

Can't wait for Spring camping.

X
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Racer|X|

Very nice step by step with pics!  Now....where were you two weeks ago? ;)

Can't wait for Spring camping.

X

I was supposed to do it two weeks ago but kept putting it off then we had a big frost and I thought I should get it done
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Seanl

I just finished winterizing my Pod and while I have a compressor I don't have a blowout plug so I use a method of winterization  that does not require a compressor

A novice may read this and interpret it as meaning that you're "supposed" to blow out the lines with air prior to winterizing, which is certainly not the case.  I've never used anything to introduce air into the lines to displace the water in the system.  In my opinion, it's simply a waste of time and effort.  If you know how to properly winterize, you can 100% ensure that you've displaced any and all water with antifreeze, from the required components.  Congrats on what you've done here, but you certainly didn't invent the concept of winterizing without a compressor.

My fear is that others start hearing the "stories/opinions" of how a compressor "must be used", then they go out and purchase something they really didn't need to purchase.  I guess I'll get flooded with PM's again about my "negative" attitude on the board, but I don't like inaccurate or unintentionally misguided information to be spread around.  Someone will read your post and think that the only "correct" way to winterize is to start by blowing out all the lines.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I just finished winterizing my Pod and while I have a compressor I don't have a blowout plug so I use a method of winterization  that does not require a compressor

A novice may read this and interpret it as meaning that you're "supposed" to blow out the lines with air prior to winterizing, which is certainly not the case.  I've never used anything to introduce air into the lines to displace the water in the system.  In my opinion, it's simply a waste of time and effort.  If you know how to properly winterize, you can 100% ensure that you've displaced any and all water with antifreeze, from the required components.  Congrats on what you've done here, but you certainly didn't invent the concept of winterizing without a compressor.

My fear is that others start hearing the "stories/opinions" of how a compressor "must be used", then they go out and purchase something they really didn't need to purchase.  I guess I'll get flooded with PM's again about my "negative" attitude on the board, but I don't like inaccurate or unintentionally misguided information to be spread around.  Someone will read your post and think that the only "correct" way to winterize is to start by blowing out all the lines.

I did not mean any ambiguity.  I think my point that you don't need a compressor to winterize A travel trailer indicates that you did not need to purchase any extra equipment. The  only reason that I mentioned a compressor was to provide an alternative winterizing the plumbing system on the Pod to the excellent one that techntrek posted that required a compressor and blowout plug. While I did not invent it I have not seen a post with a step by step post outlining  how to do it it so I thought I would provide one. By the way there are winterization methods that use a compressor and also use antifreeze in the lines. I would not recommend a method that only blew out the lines because as you say you have no guarantee that air will totally displace water. We blow out the lines at my cottage when we winterize it and we have had pipes burst because water was trapped in an elbow.  There is no one correct way to do most things in life there are usually different methods that work equally well depending on the situation. 

Speaking of ambiguity your comment that you you don't like inaccurate or unintentionally misguided information to be spread around would seam to indicate that you think my post inaccurate even though you agree with me that a compressor is not needed. 
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 11:26am
I am one of those Pod owners who uses a low-pressure compressor to first blow out the water lines and then adds RV antifreeze. By using compressed air first...pure freezable water is forced out without having to use expensive ($3-$7/gallon) antifreeze to first flush out the pure water and then replace it. I use the compressor because I already own and use it to top off the air pressure in the Pod tires. If I didn't own a compressor I would certainly follow the above instructions. A $100-$500 air compressor would buy a lot of $5/gallon RV antifreeze.
No one has said that you HAVE to go out and buy a compressor if you don't already own one...just that you will save on having to buy additional antifreeze if you DO own one.
TIDALWAVE
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 11:30am
Nascar lives to "counter-point" any post if you haven't noticed.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:54am
I have been reading all these posts for about a year.  Some people seem to have a very negative attitude about anything and everything.  As the old adage goes, "If the shoe fits, wear it."  It seems to me that quite a few undecided buyers may visit these bulletin boards before making a purchase of an Rpod.  If anyone is selling a used Rpod I would guess some have been turned off from making the purchase, either new or used, as a result sellers may find it more difficult to sell their Rpods.  I am firmly interested to hear constructive criticism, mods, etc. however, think before you post.  Rather than bring a negative attitude here, add a suggestion that will correct any problems that are brought up.   I will get off my soap box now.  Remember, negative comments affect us all.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 11:57am
As one who does not own a compressor I'd like to thank you Sean for the detailed write-up and pic's on how to perform the winterizing process ... it will be very handy for me indeed when I get to that point.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I did not mean any ambiguity.  I think my point that you don't need a compressor to winterize A travel trailer indicates that you did not need to purchase any extra equipment. The  only reason that I mentioned a compressor was to provide an alternative winterizing the plumbing system on the Pod to the excellent one that techntrek posted that required a compressor and blowout plug. While I did not invent it I have not seen a post with a step by step post outlining  how to do it it so I thought I would provide one. By the way there are winterization methods that use a compressor and also use antifreeze in the lines. I would not recommend a method that only blew out the lines because as you say you have no guarantee that air will totally displace water. We blow out the lines at my cottage when we winterize it and we have had pipes burst because water was trapped in an elbow.  There is no one correct way to do most things in life there are usually different methods that work equally well depending on the situation. 

Speaking of ambiguity your comment that you you don't like inaccurate or unintentionally misguided information to be spread around would seam to indicate that you think my post inaccurate even though you agree with me that a compressor is not needed. 

Certainly not inaccurate at all.  Obviously, I must have interpretted your post differently than others, since I'm the only one expressing a concern.  Bottom line is you posted a method that does not require a compressor, so that's a great contribution.  Thanks for doing so.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>