R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTo all you naysayers to the rdome.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: To all you naysayers to the rdome.
    Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 9:52pm
That's the one!  A friend has a Zip stove, which relies on a battery pack to drive the fan.  I love the thought of a wood-burning backpacking stove.  I use a Pepsi can alcohol stove.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

love the sounds of the r-dome, have thought and thought on it, but I am older and one person putting it up and thru the groove means up on a ladder. But I really like the idea for those who can handle it, just makes an extra room rain or shine!

mountain mist: When I put up the dome I spray a little WD40 on a ragg and wipe down the strip that goes into the track, I can push the hole thing through the track from one side. The only thing I need a ladder for is the top pole. How ever I tapert the ends of the vinyl strip, so it wont hook on the screwheads.

As far as being an older person I am right behind you.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 4:59pm
I use the silicone spray to "grease" the groove, have put a grommet in the side at top, have threaded a stout cord to give myself a pull, and Pull it thru the grooove..... Still need the ladder to do this up at the top of the curve.
I don't have the r-dome, have a custom made awning. Wlll no doubt be up on that ladder one way or the other from the sounds of it
Have just canceled my 6th try at getting out to camp this year... this time due to the effects of Sandy that is perported to be in the higher elevations early next week... by the end of next week ,back to 70's... go figure.  May not give up , but hubby is clambering to Winterize the Pod, just in case. I have emptied it of all liquid, have the heater ready to fire up for the few nights that will be in the 20's and the more the negetive stares me in the face, the more I am determined to go when it warms up,.... If what remains of the campground it not overflowing!
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 4:59pm
ps,,,, I tapered the ends too!
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 12:16pm
We are able to just push ours through.. We spray with silicone, and push it up the groove.. you do have to move the "hanging part of the dome along a bit, but we have never needed to climb a ladder or pull it through the track..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 5:06pm
I am just not tall enough to get the "push" up with one hand, working the bottom part with the other hand. But it works fine (my custom awning) when I do the ladder thing.
I have the awning because for years I used a screen house and it just pops out . of course it does not make the screen room attached to the Pod. But I have tried to use what I have already. need the screen house to even sit out when the bugs are out! the awning just keeps rain out of open door and lets air circulate in Pod also..... Does the same thing your r-dome does and I did not have to spend as much as I would have with the dome. BUT spent it on other things of course, i have really too much stuff probably.
So I am not a nay sayer for dome, just made do with what I had.
and for all that I have not used ANy of it but one time this year. darn weather bad now, but better later next week, will see what I can do.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 6:09pm
We love our dome.  It shielded us from some freezing winds this weekend.  But I'm a bit upset at a huge rip in the fabric that occured while putting it up this weekend.  I have a sewing project ahead of me.   OuchOuch
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 11:18am

We are taking ours out for our first real overnighter this weekend, and are planning on setting up the dome so we can get used to it.  Quick question ... many times before I saw Podders talking about using a dry graphite spray lube, and now here it appears that WD-40 will work also ... yes?  I already have WD-40 but not graphite spray, so if I can save myself a trip to the store this week that would be great.  Thanks!

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 12:18pm
I'm sure it will work if you don't mind the mess. Most people use dry lubes so it doesn't gunk up or stain other things. Also keep in mind that lube isn't actually required. We never used anything and it worked fine without.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 11:36am
WD-40 will make a huge mess.  Find a silicon dry-lub spray and it will work fine.  Most RV dealers carry this as it used on awnings to allow the channels to slide properly and smoothly.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>