Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 2012 r-Pod 173

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 2012 r-Pod 173
    Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 10:45pm

We bought a new 2012 r-Pod 173 last Thursday and took it for a late season outing at a local State Park this weekend. Apparently Forest River is not making the 173 model for 2013; but I thought it offered a fair amount of versatility for a non-slider model. Since my wife and I are not particularly large people, my intention is to use the sofa for a more-or-less full-time bed, and leave the dinette setup. I sawed off a 1x10" board to fit below the back of the sofa, where I stuffed a couple body pillows to fill the gap between the top of the sofa and the wall when it is pulled out to a bed position. That arrangement makes a sleep area just slightly smaller than a full size bed. It worked OK, but a foam cushion custom cut and upholstered would do a better job than the body pillows.

Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Trailblazer, and it towed the r-Pod almost effortlessly. I just sold a 21-foot KZ Sportsmen Frontier travel trailer that we had for 6 years. The Trailblazer was able to pull it; but it felt pretty well max'd out. I particularly like the fact that I don't need any mirror extenders to see to the rear while pulling the r-Pod. For this trip, the Trailblazer got about 14% better fuel economy that when it pulled the Frontier.

I drove to the campsite and setup alone before my wife joined me after work. Our r-Pod came with the r-Dome; so I set that up in spite of the generic and somewhat misleading instructions. It really wasn't bad to setup, and should be relatively easy from now on, unless the wind kicks up. With a wind, I probably would need some help. Also, the r-Dome requires a fairly sizable campsite. As long as there's room, I definitely like the size and versatility of the r-Dome. It's a great space for our two dogs in their crates, and makes a pleasant transition area from the pod to the ourdoors.

The appliances all worked as designed, and I think the r-Pod/r-Dome combo has an appealing look.

Overall, though, my wife and I were disappointed in the r-Pod. It has a profound lack of storage space; the toilet/shower stall is uncomfortably tight; and, for such a tiny pod, it was frustratingly hard to heat. It did a lousy job of retaining warm air, so the furnace had to kick on so often that our battery did not last for two nights. We have had 5 other campers. The 21-foot Frontier that I just sold had gobs of space, and it warmed up easily and stayed comfortable. The r-Pod was not noticeably warmer than the fold-down campers we've had. It seems to be very drafty, though I can't specifically determine where the cold air is coming from. The floor is particularly cold.

I plan to do some surgery that could help the storage issue some. There is a large empty area under the sofa; but the only access is to lift the sofa into the mid-transition position. I think I will cut out a section in the middle of the base under the front of the sofa, and make sort of a drawer that can be slid out onto the linoleum floor. It looks like the drawer can be about 20"Wx40"Dx10"H, which could serve as a readily accessible lay-down closet, plus hold towels and such. Extra blankets and things we don't need so frequently could still be stored in the two remaining areas under the sofa on either side of the new drawer. Wish me luck with this idea. If we're ever going to enjoy this camper, we really need a solution for the lack of storage.

Hopefully our r-Pod (is that redundant?) will grow on us.  I already asked the dealer we bought it from about trading it back for a Gulfstream Visa 17 that I had overlooked on the lot; but I would take a $2500 hit in addition to the $3000 difference in the cost of the two campers. He explained that a used camper is a used camper. If so, we may as well wait at least until Spring and maybe get some real use out of it before we try a swap. I wish I hadn't seen the Visa, because it seems to be everything I really wanted; but it does have that wider profile that creates rearview challenges, it weighs about 500-600 pounds more, and it has a $3k higher price tag.

For now, I'm going to try to remember all the charming characteristics of the r-Pod that attracted me to it in the first place, and find ways to enjoy it.

Sam
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:23am
I'd say congratulations on your Pod but it doesn't seem you're too happy with it just yet.

There are lots of storage options that others have come up with over the years to accomodate more stuff.  The Pod is just a matter of having what you need and not taking things that you don't and then finding the perfect spot for each of those things.

I do have to question though.  Did you not know the limitations to the storage and how close and tight the bathroom/shower was before you bought it?  Surely you toured it first right? 

I hope you find the charm of it suits you well enough for now though at least!  Happy Podding!
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:38am
I hope you find that it is more enjoyable to go Podding in as you get adjusted to it.  One comment you made which surprised me the most was regarding not being able to keep it heated.  I've read many postings on here about just the opposite.  Maybe there is an issue with the furnace itself, or the thermostat?  I would definitely recommend taking up the issue with your dealer.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:17am
We have had two large RV's in the past and have always brought more "stuff" than we needed to. The challenge and pleasure of having our RPod is that we only bring what we need and we make sure everything has a designated "home". To me, it brings me back to more realistic camping than when we were dragging around or driving around one of our big RV's.
Part of being an RPod owner is thinking of innovative ways to stash your "stuff". Give it some time, you might fall in love with your RPod.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:08pm
Yes, Travis and Carrie, I looked at the RPod before I bought it. I knew we would have to pare down; but I simply underestimated the problem of putting a weekend's worth of two people's clothes, towels and normal carry-ons someplace when there's no place.

The problem with heat isn't the furnace, P&M, it's cold air leaks that I haven't been able to isolate. One area I did find was along the side of the refrigerator. I temporarily stuffed some paper towels in there, and that helped considerably.

I plan to spend this weekend converting the panel under the sofa seat to gain better access to the sizable space under there. Plus, the temperature is forcast to be cold enough that I might be able to track down some of those cold air leaks.

Meanwhile, it sure is cute in our driveway. I definitely don't hate the R-Pod; and, like you say, Paige and Pete, I may very well learn to love it if we can make a few of the right modifications.

Thanks.

Sam
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 10:41pm

Welcome.  We went from a huge popup to the pod and don't have any problem packing for a week, odd that you are having so much of a problem.  One thing that helps us a lot is we added 3 lidded containers which we keep outside just under the edge of the pod.  Two hold trash & recycling, the 3rd holds our shoes.  Our clothes go in a rolling duffel bag which rolls under our bed (in the 171).  The drawers only hold more permanent things like cooking utensils.  The shower is tight in ours even without the small handwashing sink that the newer pods have.  I recommend removing it if you can.

Not sure why you had a hard time keeping yours warm, one benefit of the pods is they have a ton of insulation.  We use a small electric heater on low when we have hookups and it rarely runs.  Even when I camped in January and it got down to 10 F degrees it wasn't working very hard to keep the heat in - even with a window cracked open and the vent cracked open to help control humidity.  This past weekend I camped without hookups and it got down to the 40's, the furnace was set to 55-60 overnight and it didn't come on that often.

Ironically the Visa 19 footer caught my attention some time ago and I'm now seriously considering the 23 foot model.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 10:56pm
Donna likes the size of the shower/head because there is no room for me to get in there when she is in there, dog gone the luck.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 6:55am
Originally posted by techntrek

Not sure why you had a hard time keeping yours warm, one benefit of the pods is they have a ton of insulation.  We use a small electric heater on low when we have hookups and it rarely runs.  Even when I camped in January and it got down to 10 F degrees it wasn't working very hard to keep the heat in - even with a window cracked open and the vent cracked open to help control humidity.  This past weekend I camped without hookups and it got down to the 40's, the furnace was set to 55-60 overnight and it didn't come on that often.

If ours had behaved that way, we wouldn't be disappointed. The cold air leaks were a MUCH greater disappointment than the space. We knew the R-Pod would have less storage space than we're used to; but we expected the benefit of a cozy pod.

Sam
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 10:32am
Here is what I would do to find the place were the draft is coming from. close the door and windows turn on the bath fan high speed and check with a smoke pencile or put a very light ,fuzzy dawn on the end of a stick and hold it into places were the draft could come from.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by dsmiths

Donna likes the size of the shower/head because there is no room for me to get in there when she is in there, dog gone the luck.

You know owe me a new keyboard and monitor as I was drinking coffee right before reading this LOLLOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>