Topic ClosedNew 2012 r-Pod 173

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 2012 r-Pod 173
    Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 1:23pm
Sammycamper - It sounds like they may have missed closing in all the Air gaps.  Look for any place they may have drilled the floor to put pipes in and see if they sealed all those.  Fridge area as you alread found out, look by the door and see if there are any cracks of light coming in and also under the bathroom opnd the vent and look for any holes not sealed.  I had several in ny 2009 - 171 rpod 
wildflowerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 1:42pm
Welcome!

I imagine it would be hard dealing with little storage after coming from something larger.  There are some great mods on this forum.  We plan on adding a shelf in the back for clothing.

We just got the rPod 171 last week and are back from our first weekend.  The shower is definitely small so we are going to have the sink removed before next spring. My husband isn't handy so we are going to talk to the dealer about doing that for us.  Every inch helps.  When it first came out the bathroom didn't have a sink.  I wonder if they will eventually go back to doing it that way.

I'll be interested in hearing how things come along with yours and if the pod grows on you.

coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 5:22pm
We may be at an advantage, since the only previous camping experience we had was tenting-  talk about storage issues!

Our 177 is not as large as our neighbors in most campgrounds, yet we find it quite comfortable for 2 or 3 day outings.  Do we have fabric "shopping bags" full of fresh linens on the way out, and "dirty laundry" on the way back?  Yes, indeed.  Is there a gigantic cooler straddling the tailgate of our Cherokee?  Yup!

When we first set out, Joyce had a "Things We Need" list.  I asked her to start another list of "Stuff We Don't Need"  They are approximately equal at this point.

Oh, and with the R-Dome, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels are very happy to be along!

Sorry if it's not for you.......

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:20pm

I spent some time with the rpod last weekend to improve on storage. I bought 3 plastic 2'x3'x8" tubs. Then I cut the two outside corners off two of them so that they would fit against the walls under the sofa. The third one, then, filled the space between them almost perfectly. I also hinged a 2'x2'x10" wood leg to the bottom inside of the upholstered panel under the seat. Now, we can lift the bottom of the panel up (the 2"x2" leg drops down to hold it up) and slide the middle tub all the way out onto the floor between the sink/burners cabinets and the bathroom. We can lay the soft plastic  closet that was hanging on a bar in the bathroom in that tub, and still have room to lay jackets and such beside it. We can store extra blankets and things we don't need so often in the other two tubs that can only be accessed by lifting the sofa seat.

I also installed several of those Command Strips hangers, and hung a cloth shoe organizer on the end of the sink/burner cabinet, next to the outside door.

I think those things will start to improve the storage issues.

Eventually, I want to take someone's suggestion about hanging storage trays above the window blinds.

I contacted the dealer and told them about some of your responses regarding the air gaps. I wanted to know whether that would be a warranty issue; or, if I needed to find them and seal them up myself, I wanted to know the best way to go about it. The owner said that it is absolutely a warranty issue. The pod should be easy to heat, and they would check things out and install any missing seals. He said any help I could provide about where the air is coming in would help, and I told him about the air flow beside the refrigerator, where I stuffed paper towels to temporarily improve things a little. In the mean time, I layed a 2'x6' carpet runner on the floor to make that feel a little warmer, and to protect the linoleum where we'll be sliding the tub in and out under the sofa.

So, I re-winterized the rpod and took it back to the dealer. Hope to have it back in about another week; but, this camping season will be gone. By the time we get it back it will be time to tow it to the storage barn; but I think some of these things will improve our camping experience in early Spring.

Thanks again for your encouragement and suggestions.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 9:09pm
One more thing:
I know my initial impression and review was not entirely positive, and I admittedly wish I had purchased a Gulfstream Visa instead; BUT I am very surprised by posts on this site and others about how dissapointed some are in how the rpod tows. One post even said that the rpod tows like a parachute. All the complaints seem to center around the aerodynamics of the pod being bad.

My brief experience is completely contrary. After 6 years of towing a more conventional 21-ft travel trailer that weight about 750-lbs more, I thought that towing the rpod was a terrific treat. No matter what shape it is, our TV is still pulling about 1-1/2 tons of additional weight. So, the fact that I feel something behind me comes as no shock. I've read posts about wind tunnel programs that demonstrate the inefficiency of the pod's design. Nevertheless, I realized about a 14% improvement in gas mileage compared to our previous travel trailer, and starting off from a dead stop was downright frisky by comparison. I put a lot more stock in my direct experience than a computer mock-up. The fact that I can use my standard mirrors for a clear rear view is a bonus.

I actually think towing the rpod and backing it into a campsite is fun.

Sam
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 12:51pm
Welcome to the world of podmods, once you enter you can never leave.  Clap

I like the idea of shaping the tubs to fit the wall.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:04am
Wow!

I picked up our rpod from the dealer late Friday afternoon, and what a transformation! They injected foam sealant in all the holes through the wall in the hot water heater area, they pulled the furnace to seal that space, they pulled the converter to seal a hole for the 3" pipe under the shower, and - probably most importantly - they thoroughly sealed around those big refrigerator vents. In the process, they took pictures of all the unsealed holes to send to Forest River.

They also replaced the dvd player/tv/radio, because the orginal unit would not display anything on the screen. Plus, they installed a window blind that was missing completely. It's as if the manufacturer got in a hurry to rush our unit out the door, and just didn't finish the job.

Now, though, everything seems to work fine. I can't even describe how different it feels with the furnace running than it did on our first camping trip. Now, the whole camper has a nice even warmth. Those cold air drafts are gone, and the furnace doesn't work nearly as hard. Before, there were so many leaks that the furnace was basically trying to heat the great outdoors.

My wife and I actually sat in the camper in our driveway last night and watched a movie on the DVD player. It was just about as comfortable as our family room.

About the only thing we haven't put to the test is the air conditioner. We'll be sure to do that as early in the Summer as possible, while everything is still under warranty.

At this point, I'm not too impressed with Forest River; but I am absolutely delighted with our dealer.

Sam
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 7:20am
So glad your RPod is warm now!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 9:09am
That's more like it!  Our pod is snug and comfortable.  I think our pod is made as well as many RVs.  I was looking at a Jayco last week where all the cabinet work was pulled away from the walls after a year, and lots of things were falling apart.  With the need for construction being light and the push of assembly lines it can happen.  That's why it is important to have a good dealer.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 6:25pm
Good to hear!  You'll find now that you need to crack a window and the bathroom vent when it gets cooler out just to control moisture (coming from you).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>