FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Owners Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owners Questions
    Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:22am
Hello Podders! 
We've always been tent campers, but wanted to get a trailer for longer trips we hope to make after retirement. We live in beautiful Georgia, but want to go west and explore!

After doing months of research, I finally settled on an R Pod 177 for us! Then after looking on Craigslist for another month or more I found a 2010 close by and we went and bought it! We picked it up with my 2000 Chevy Astro with tow package. We found that it towed fine as long as there wasn't a big head wind and fairly flat, but the van shifted into 3rd gear in big wind and going up larger hills. I am now thinking my van will not be big enough to pull in the mountains....and my mileage was cut in half... I usually get 18-20 mpg.... Got 10 mpg towing.  So, I am wondering what you all pull your Pod with and what kind of mileage do you get towing.  I figure if I can get the same 10 mpg with a bigger engine towing, I might as well get a bigger towing vehicle! 

My other question is about putting risers on our Pod. Do you all think that's essential ? I know you can get 4" risers....is there such a thing as 2" risers? 

Thank You Everyone!
Jimgi
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:28am
Pretty much everyone's gas mileage gets cut in half pulling our pods.  They are very similar to large brick walls behind us.  So you're on point with the rest of us on that one.

Risers.  I've never heard of 2 inch risers.  Are the 4 inches necessary?  Some would say yes, some would say no.  It only takes on time for you to be leaving a campground or a weirdly slanted gas station and to drag or rip off a stabilizer to wish you'd had them.  Personally we have them and have been at some camgrounds where without them we would have scraped stablizers.  Having risers will affect how your dome fits your Pod, and that's one thing that I do not like about having them.

Lastly big hills and strong winds sound about right for not having quite as much oomph when towing.  Happens to me with my Jeep from time to time.  What is the towing capacity of your van?

Good luck and congrats on the Pod!

P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:48am

Congrats on becoming a Podder!  We picked up our 171 last weekend for the first time and averaged 10.4 mpg over 70+ miles, down from the 19.6 mpg I have been getting combined city/hwy up to that point, so yup just about half.  That was with a headwind and driving through some hilly parts of NC, so I believe it will improve a bit on flatter stretches.  I have a 6 cyl with 3500# capacity and also found myself downshifting on the hills, but I have a manual shifter option so it made it easier for me to keep it at the right rpm's that I wanted.

As for risers, I don't have them ... yet.  Definitely on the to-do list for next year.

Have fun and enjoy your Pod!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:21am
We are holding off on getting the risers as most of our camping adventures are in Florida, the flat state. Also we don't want to lower the MPG anymore than we have to! We had our light package recall put on two weeks ago and I think we increased our mpg by about one mile more. The jury is still out on that one.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:34am
We tow with an F-150 with a large V8 and the factory tow package,so we have lots of headroom to the towing limits.  If I try and drive 70-75 MPH on the interstate then mileage drops to 10MPG (in half).  at 55-60 it gets 14mpg on the flat.

I will have risers before our next trip.  I replaced a destroyed stabilizer that scraped getting on the Washington Island (WI) ferry last summer.  In spring the risers will go on.  I hadn't thought they were needed until then.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 10:07am
My driveway apron is about six inch drop over three feet. First time in and out, I scraped the jack and then the rear . Added the risers (actually about 3.5") and now clear just fine. We've gotten into a couple of "unimproved" sites that would have removed some dirt without the extra clearance (also they keep the drain points on the water tank higher too). Definitely recommend them.
Your mileage sounds typical-10 to 12 mpg is the standard, it seems.

Welcome to the podding culture, let us know how we can make your experience more enjoyable!

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Jimgi3

Hello Podders! 
We've always been tent campers, but wanted to get a trailer for longer trips we hope to make after retirement. We live in beautiful Georgia, but want to go west and explore!

After doing months of research, I finally settled on an R Pod 177 for us! Then after looking on Craigslist for another month or more I found a 2010 close by and we went and bought it! We picked it up with my 2000 Chevy Astro with tow package. We found that it towed fine as long as there wasn't a big head wind and fairly flat, but the van shifted into 3rd gear in big wind and going up larger hills. I am now thinking my van will not be big enough to pull in the mountains....and my mileage was cut in half... I usually get 18-20 mpg.... Got 10 mpg towing.  So, I am wondering what you all pull your Pod with and what kind of mileage do you get towing.  I figure if I can get the same 10 mpg with a bigger engine towing, I might as well get a bigger towing vehicle! 

My other question is about putting risers on our Pod. Do you all think that's essential ? I know you can get 4" risers....is there such a thing as 2" risers? 

Thank You Everyone!
Jimgi

Your mileage as others have said is typical. I tow with a jeep liberty and It has enough power to pull the Rod but no extra. it takes a little time to get up to speed and  I learned real quick to pick up speeds on the downhills in order to carry enough speed into the uphills. I am not going anywhere fast but I can average 60mph which is fast enough. It's great when I get a tailwind because that is good for another 10 mph. Smile You will probably  find you would get the same milage with a bigger TV but you would not get as good millage when you were not towing. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 5:33pm
I get around 17 MPG normally and 10-12 towing, so that's about right. 

We used our pod for the first two years without risers. This past spring I finally installed them myself and I'd say they're worth it. The risers do tend to mess up the fit of the rdome, a problem we haven't taken time to solve yet, but it's on my to do list for next spring. Four inches is a nominal dimension, mine were actually 3 1/2". Never heard of a 2" riser. The risers are axle-specific depending on maker.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 6:29pm
Having the risers is one less area of concern for me. From my experience with several trailers over the years and now the pod, my advice for better MPG is if you can, take your time getting there. I have found driving at 60mph instead of 70 increases my MPG by as much as 30% depending on conditions.
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 7:59pm
Hi,

We have a 171 and tow with a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan ( it has the new pen star engine that puts out 283 horse power). On our trip south out of Vermont we got 12.5 mpg in the Mountains and got 15 mpg once we hit Massachusetts all the way to Rodanthe. It has plenty of power for the hills.
We have not added the risers, have towed up and down the coast with no problems yet ( fingers crossed). The secret is basically taking your time and going 50 mph to 60 mph seems to give us the best mileage. If people dont lke it they will pass you.
Good luck!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>