Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Owners Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owners Questions
    Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 7:59pm
Ky Mooses is right on, you need the risers, I doubt the 3.5 inch lift will change the mpg much, I pull with a 08 chev trailblazer rated for 6500 lbs, it has the in line 290 horse six banger. I dont exceed 60 mph on the interstate and up hills drop to 50 or so, i get consistant 10.5 to near 12 mpg it does not get better period. when you double the velocity you quaddruple the drag, its the law of physics, the pod looks aerodynamic by its tear drop shape but it really is not. Have you ever seen an airplane shaped like a Pod ? Donna and I dont care, its still fun and cheaper than staying in a hotel/motel   
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:13pm
Those of you with risers, do you find it's easier to dump your black and grey tanks?
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:18pm
Definitely
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:51pm
Not much.  I still put something under the far wheel when dumping which helps a little.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 10:05pm
Welcome Jimgi.  I also recommend the risers, I went a while without them but scraped enough times that I'm glad I have them now.  With our Sienna we got between 8 and 12 mpg depending on conditions - 8 with a headwind, and 12 with good conditions.  So far with our Suburban I get 9.7 mpg every trip.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jimgi3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:54am
Wow, thanks everyone for such a warm welcome and so many responses! So, I'm getting a better picture about the gas mileage. I was surprised such a small trailer, compared to much of what is out there, would impact my mpg as much as it did....but, then again, I've never pulled a trailer before, so what do I know!? Thanks to you all, I know a little more. 
We are going to borrow my folks big Ford Econoline Van....see how that feels.  I'm a speed demon on the hwy.  Usually drive 5-8 miles above posted speed...I know towing is a different reality! I'll have to learn a new way.  Thanks again!
Mikey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 1:14am
Mikey
Mikey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 1:26am
Hello to all. I just purchased a 2011 177 and towed it home from Montana where I bought it.
My question (s ) are:
1. Where do you get something showing where the studs vertical /horizontal are ?
2. I also would like to know where to order parts or accessories. I have had no luck with Forrest River to my inquiries.
3. Where would I get the risers I have been reading about on the forum and installation instructions?
4. Is there any manuel or something to serve as a maintenance guide for the R-pod? 
I really like my Pod and plan to be up in the Eastern Sierra's to go fishing soon.

I had a rear light spoiler installed as per the re-call. It was taped down with flimsy tape and blew off on my way home so I took it off. I couldn't believe anyone would expect it to hold when underway not to mention what the weather would do to the tape after a little time.
Is this some kind of a legal issue if I leave it off?

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and appreciate the Family type atmosphere you all have.

Thank you,

Mikey

Mikey
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Mikey

Hello to all. I just purchased a 2011 177 and towed it home from Montana where I bought it.
My question (s ) are:
1. Where do you get something showing where the studs vertical /horizontal are ?
I am not sure what you are referring to here?

2. I also would like to know where to order parts or accessories. I have had no luck with Forrest River to my inquiries.
This thread has Forest River Rpod contacts in it. Susan Thornburg is the parts person. http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2747&title=misc-forest-river-contacts-and-other-info

3. Where would I get the risers I have been reading about on the forum and installation instructions?
You can order them from Forest River or an Rpod Dealer. You will need the model year of your pod the model and the VIN as there are several different ones depending on the axle in your pod.

4. Is there any manuel or something to serve as a maintenance guide for the R-pod? 
I really like my Pod and plan to be up in the Eastern Sierra's to go fishing soon.
There was a general manual that came with the Rpod but it was not very specific there is a maintenance thread on the forum here http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723&title=creating-an-instruction-maintanence-manual

I had a rear light spoiler installed as per the re-call. It was taped down with flimsy tape and blew off on my way home so I took it off. I couldn't believe anyone would expect it to hold when underway not to mention what the weather would do to the tape after a little time.
Is this some kind of a legal issue if I leave it off?
If the light was put on properly in the first place it should not have blown off. The tape they use on these is the same tape used in automotive applications to hold ground effects kits, body molding and  such on. also the edges of the spoiler should have been screwed into the frame of the trailer. I would talk to forest river about this as you do need to have these lights it is a safety and and legal  thing. 

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and appreciate the Family type atmosphere you all have.

Thank you,

Mikey

Hope that helps some
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 9:02am
This thread gives some general information about location of framing/studs

Remember this is generic and may not be the same in your pod.

Welcome aboard!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>