R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCar as Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car as Generator
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:25am
You plug the in to the gen. the other end goes into the big plug were your shore power plugs in. Once your pluged in everything works just like shore power. 

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:30am
adapter plugs are available where camping stuff is sold.  I got one that adapts from a larger plug down to the pod shore power plug, and one that adapts a normal household plug up to the shore power plug.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:37am
You need a "120v 30A to 120v 15A" adapter. You should have gotten one with your camper... You also should get a "120v 50A to 120v 30A" dogbone/adapter.

I will post pictures if needed..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 10:13am
The 50 amp to 30 amp adapter that furpod mentioned may not be necessary, it depends on the campgrounds in your area.  I bought one but have never found a need for it.  I figure some day I'll be on a site with a bad 30 amp outlet and I'll finally use it but so far it hasn't been needed.

The 20 amp (household plug) to 30 amp (rpod plug) adaptor is very useful and is what is needed for this particular problem.  I have a 30 amp outlet at home so I don't usually need it there but many don't.  I'll use the adaptor over the winter when the pod is in its winter storage spot which is too far away from the 30 amp outlet.  So when I top off the pod's battery once in a while I'll stretch a 100 foot extension cord out there and then use the adapter to plug into the extension cord.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by techntrek

The 50 amp to 30 amp adapter that furpod mentioned may not be necessary, it depends on the campgrounds in your area.  I bought one but have never found a need for it.  I figure some day I'll be on a site with a bad 30 amp outlet and I'll finally use it but so far it hasn't been needed.

The 20 amp (household plug) to 30 amp (rpod plug) adaptor is very useful and is what is needed for this particular problem.  I have a 30 amp outlet at home so I don't usually need it there but many don't.  I'll use the adaptor over the winter when the pod is in its winter storage spot which is too far away from the 30 amp outlet.  So when I top off the pod's battery once in a while I'll stretch a 100 foot extension cord out there and then use the adapter to plug into the extension cord.

That what I do as well, except I leave mine plugged in all winter.  Right now, I have both the Pod and the Jayco plugged in on seperate extension cords, using the adapters.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:29am
Marwayne....the shore plug on the Pod has the large male in and the female end pushes in and is clamped in. The male end will NOT fit in the regular plug in on the small generator. Some of the big ones have the the large 3 prong , but the small one looks like the receptal you have in the house.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:37am
Keith-N-Dar....That sounds like what I need. a Normal household plug up to the  shore power. The end that plugs into the small generator looks like a normal household plug. But what do you do to get the other end to match the shore power plug. Some kind of adaptor that you mate with the cord and Pod. Where do you find this and what do I ask for?

Am I correct.... you plug in the normal household plug to the generator and run it to the outlet on the left side of the pod( I have mine plugged in to the house current all Winter). In order to fit in that hole it will have to have an adaptor to fit on the end of the cord and then it will mate with the Pod.Confused
Excuse the dumb, but I get no help from the other half, he just says he does not want to deal with it!

I only want enough power to run some small thing, one at a time. Be it fan in summer or some lights at night.
This is dry camping, NO hookups at all.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:41am
techntrek... I need a 20 amp adaptor to use the small generator? I may need pictures to fully understand if I have asked the right question.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:44am
furpod..... it might be different if the husband camped with me, but I am 72 and doing it alone, have had to learn everything new outright. 2 people knowing what they are doing is one thing, one person doing it and not knowing all the ins and outs is totally different!LOL
Of course it is easy with there are full hookups, I do fine.
The boon docking makes you adapt, have done ok until trying to Winter campCry
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 12:36pm

Put the adapter on the black plug, that plugs into the gen., the yellow goes into the shore power outlet.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>