R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCar as Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car as Generator
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 7:35pm

Marwayne, I just saw your pics on page 2.  You rock, a pic is worth a thousand words.  

A note about the two types of adapters in the 2 links above in Seanl's post.  Many of the "hockey puck" type of adapters (small, one piece, the 2nd link above)) are just this side of junk.  I've seen stories online of people finding them melted from heat.  Since they are fully enclosed there is no place for the heat to go.  On the other hand, most of the "dogbone" type of adapters (first link above) are better-made and since they spread the load over more surface area the heat dissipates.  So just a warning about the hockey pucks - keep an eye on them.  That said, I have one and have never had a problem, either on my prior camper or the pod.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 7:50pm
I hope i remembered to thank you all for the information, but will do it again. THANKS. Have had a computer  shafu and by the time I worked it out and FB too, I cleaned my own memory banks.
Turned out..... hubby saw my order for the Cameo at Amazon, said he had several in basement AND one in Pod...... A lot of little too late... o well.
Thank you Techntrek for the warning about the "hockey puck". If you have a melt down what happens to your generator and Pod!
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:24pm
Worst case if the "hockey puck" melts enough that the contacts touch somehow, it will throw the circuit breaker on the generator, I wouldn't worry much about it.  But if you see some deformity in the one you are using I would throw it away.
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 9:12am
Thanks Techntrek.... I will keep an eye for it. Now that I have a least 4 of the things I have a back up and then some, but do not want to ruin something else. May go on and get the other one that disipates the heat better, now that I know what it looks like.Clap
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
rickwxi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 11:49am
I have been using a 1000 watt generator that I bought at Harbor Freight tools when it was on sale. It works great. I am also a Amature Radio operator and use it to power radios on outings like field day. There is one draw back to this generator, it is a 2 cycle so you have to mix the oil and gas, not a problem really. I just a sale ad for $89 at Harbor Freigh. I purchased mine on sale for $79.Emoticons

Rick and Barb

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 1:08pm
rickwxi, you may find this page interesting:  http://www.aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234