R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtrailer harness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer harness
    Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:16pm
LOL.. I remember my first day on the internet..
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:00am
Originally posted by anchorout

The problem is on your end.  I'll move on.

I don't think the problem is on my end.  My connector is able to fit one way and one way only:  the correct way.  Not upside down.  If any connector can be connected more than one way it needs to be checked out by a professional and replaced with one that works correctly.  I hope the OP did that.  It would be most unsafe to proceed without repair.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
tsunami123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 10:05am
CryThe Bargmann connector that came with my Pod from FR was a piece of junk.  It was slightly smaller in diameter than a regulation Bargmann.  It wobbled badly when inserted into the TVs Bargmann! In fact, it was so poorly made that I actually could insert the plug in upside down.
Luckily the TV's lights were not turned on.  When plugged in correctly, the plug flopped up and down, so much so that the 'key lock' sometimes would not hold.
Within a few trips, the flopping had broken some of the plug wires!  That is how I found out that FR does not follow SAE Industry color coding.
I went to my RV dealer and bought a replacement plug.  This one fit snuggly and was impossible to insert incorrectly.  So if your Bargmann feels loose and wobbly you probably got one of the 'bad' batch. 
Most products now come from China and they only use metric measurements.  If they need SAE measurements they use the closest metric tools in their possession. I think the Chinese manufacturer simply molded the connector to their next smaller metric and so the plugs were smaller than the SAE male connector on American TVs. I have even had Chinese SAE wrenches which were well made but were forged to the nearest metric measurement.  So the wrenches never really gripped SAE bolts etc. correctly.  I micrometered the wrenches and found that, for example, the stamped 1/2 inch box wrench was actually 13mm. Which meant that it was a sloppy fit and always tended to round off bolt heads.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 10:51am
Interesting info on the tools, I'll have to double-check mine...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 11:23am
While we are talking connectors and stuff.   My new Pathfinder has a factory tow set up with 2" receive and 7pin.  It comes prewired for brake controller and included a harness for that in the glove box.

Question #1 Will I get 12v from the car to the battery on the pod so the battery will stay charged while moving. 

Question #2.  Does the 2013 R-Pod have 12v LED bulbs both outside and inside? 

If I should have started a new topic rap my knucles and move this to a new thread.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 11:48am
   Thinker you have a factory tow package so the charging line should be active, I have not seen a 2013 POD so I don't know about the LED lights.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 12:15pm

2013 PR-172 delivered in October 2012:

Tail/stoplights are LED. Running and clearance are incandescent. Rear spoiler too high to look at in daytime.

All interior and porch lights are incandescent from the factory. I've replaced them all with LEDs from SuperBrightLeds.com. What a difference! DC current reduced by 85% and better light to boot.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-18-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/397/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-single-intensity-45-smd-led-tower/526/

I'll probably replace the exterior bulbs with LEDs when they burn out, only for the convenience of long life and reliability

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

2013 PR-172 delivered in October 2012:

Tail/stoplights are LED. Running and clearance are incandescent. Rear spoiler too high to look at in daytime.

All interior and porch lights are incandescent from the factory. I've replaced them all with LEDs from SuperBrightLeds.com. What a difference! DC current reduced by 85% and better light to boot.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-18-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/397/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-single-intensity-45-smd-led-tower/526/

I'll probably replace the exterior bulbs with LEDs when they burn out, only for the convenience of long life and reliability

Thanks Charlie, any idea how many I will need of each.  I don't pick up my rig until tomorrow.  I will place an order now for some of each.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 4:57pm
On the tow package and charging.. look in the owners manual to see if any circuit breakers or relays need to be added. We had to instal one of each on our Expedition.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:21pm
On my Suburban I had to clip two zip-ties that were holding wires in bundles, pull the wires up to a fuse box under the hood and attach them to two bolts.  The two fuses were already in place. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>