R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171 heater/ac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 heater/ac
    Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:51pm
Two questions:
Is it O.K. to run the AC/heater when plugged in to 110 electrical outlet?

How do I test the heater in the 171...it' new to me and have not used it so far.  Please give me step-by-step instructions.
Thankful....it's getting cold in Florida!

chilly BlissfulCryCry
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:29pm

You can only run the A/C when plugged into AC, and you can use the heater either on AC or battery.  However, most people prefer to use a small electric heater when AC is available (it is much quieter and doesn't use up the propane).

To use the heater, look at the thermosat.  Different model years have different versions of the thermostat.  On mine you select "heat" with one switch, then set the temperature.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
blissful View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:55pm
My question.... is it O.K. to use AC when plugged into a 110 outlet at home, I know I have to turn the AC on!

My thermostat has a furnace button, but I want to know how to start the furnace...do I use propane or just push the thermostat button and the heat comes on?Sleepy
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 10:12pm
On my 2011 177 if you set the thermostat to heat and set a temprature high enough it starts by its self.  If you have never run the furnace it may take a few cycles to bleed the air out of the gas line.

If you are plugged into a 15 amp outllet at home the AC may trip the breaker when starting up.  A 20 amp circuit should be OK but I wouldn't run the air and the micorwave at the same time.

Good luck!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 12:33pm
I have used the Air Con. While plugged into the house.  However if you start using anything else, breakers start to pop, etc.  
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 10:17am
Regarding the AC question, our dealer specifically told us when we picked up our 171 that the AC was the only item not to be run off a regular plug-in outlet at home because the draw is too much for a normal home outlet.  Not only will breakers pop but, in their words, the unit's electronics can be damaged as well.

On the heater, having just come back from a Turkey weekend camping trip with 26 degree nights, all we had to do was set our thermostat to "heat" and then adjust the temp up/down to what we wanted.  Had the propane tank open and the electric plugged in.  Everything from there was just like at home ... furnace turns on & shuts off automatically.

Hope that helps!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 11:16am
I disagree with that dealer.  The A/C units in the pods are ultra-efficient, using only about 1100 watts when running.  That is a perfectly safe load for a 15 amp outlet (standard home outlet), which can handle 1500 watts all the time, and occasional loads up to 1800 watts.  Even when you add on a few hundred watts for the converter - if it is charging the battery - you are within normal limits.  That said, you do need to be careful and make sure the electric element in the water heater is off, and don't use the microwave.  Only 1 of the 3 can be on when hooked up to a 15 amp outlet.  You can run 2 of the 3 at a time on a 30 amp outlet (electric water element, A/C, microwave).

I also wouldn't use the propane furnace if I had an AC connection.  Save your propane and keep things much quieter by using a small electric heater.  Add an electric heater to the list of 3 above, and again only use 1 of them at a time on a 15 amp outlet, or 2 at a time on a 30 amp outlet.  Not that you would use the A/C and electric heater at the same time. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply