R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
    Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 9:48pm
Thank goodness no one got hurt and everything seems repairable. Just wondering how tight your anti sway bar was. 

Also wondering if the fact that your tanks were full contributed to the sway.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 10:43pm
techntrek - Have to disagree with you about the acceleration.   The physics dictates that it does work. Accelerating the TV is much the same as applying the RV brakes.  It allows you, the TV, to remain in control.   Michelin has (or had) several good videos as to how and why this works.  I'll see if I can find the links again.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 10:54pm
Glad everyone, cat and all, is OK.

I think the mash the accelerator working/not working may have to do with the TV's engine some..

I bet when I mash my accelerator, I get a whole lot more "pull" out of it then someone in a smaller TV.

Specially in the Excursion.

Course.. I can't pour water out of a boot faster than I am burning gas at that point.. lol
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:02pm
Thadd, thank God you all are safe, that is paramont. A lot of information is flying around here, I think Seanl is dead on, downhill, increasing radius, braking. I have a Prodigy wireless brake controller, the hand unit plugs into the cigar lighter and communicates with the brake controller on the Pod, it is a litte larger than a microphone on a c b unit, it has a push button that allows you to apply the pods brakes first. I keep it in my lap. I hope I never have to use it. They make cars and campers every day they can be replaced but not you guys, again Thank God your family is safe.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 12:28am
Glad you were all safe and that you managed to catch your cat before it got away.  

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 12:30am

I agree with everyone here that the best part of your story is that all the living beings are still living and well. Next best thing is the good treatment you got from everyone nearby.

You are getting advice in several different directions, but one common thread that just makes good sense is to keep the trailer from pushing you - there's nobody steering the trailer. I'll add my vote to those who recommend manually engaging your trailer brakes and staying off the TV brakes as long as possible. I do think your hind sight that you entered the curve too aggressively is spot on.

I strongly disagree with a couple suggestions here that keep coming up on this site. I DO NOT think you need a larger tow vehicle, and I DO NOT believe your weight distrubution hitch and anti-sway bar helped your towing a lick. Neither are necessary or even appropriate for such a light, single axle camper.

I have been towing campers and boats for nearly 30 years, and the largest tow vehicle I've had is the 6-cyl Trailblazer that we have now. I towed a 19-foot sailboat with a cabin that slept 4 people from San Diego, CA to Rochester, MN with a 4-cyl Isuzu Trooper (we slept in the boat at Grand Canyon National Park) and I towed the rig through Vegas, where we spent a night in a hotel. Just before our rPod 173, we were towing a camper that weighed a thousand pounds more with a Honda Pilot and then the 2008 Trailblazer we have now. I did not use a WDH with the Pilot, because the Honda owner's manual recommended against it. The Pilot was max'd, but did fine. I did use a WDH for the body-on-frame Trailblazer when we pulled that travel trailer; but, that trailer had tandem axels and the WDH could balance the weight on the trailer axles. That was the max that either the Pilot or the Trailblazer could pull safely, and I stayed within about a 300-mile radius for the 6 years we towed it. The rPod 173 is an easy pull for the Trailblazer. I think I'd pull it practically anywhere.

Using a WDH with such a light single-axle trailer as an rPod, especially with the tanks full and lifting weight off the tongue, can cause more troublesome dynamics than it remedies. A WDH tends to numb any normal sensation of towing, and that probably contributed to the over-confident speed you were going as you entered the curve. I highly recommend traveling with your fresh and gray water tanks empty for anything but short hauls. I also encourage you to hitch up without all that WDH and anti-sway crap. Go ahead and feel your tow! You will have a much better tendancy to do your best intuitive driving.

Please: Hook up your camper directly to a basic hitch in your TV receiver (making sure the ball is at the right height to keep your camper level). Go to the biggest, emptiest nearby parking lot you can find, and drive around until you are comfortable with things. Then do some driving around a few blocks in relatively flat areas. Then try some hills; then some curves; then some hilly curves. Graduate slowly, deliberately, and cautously while the 9-month old is safe in a crib back home with the grandparents - just you, your wife, your tow vehicle, and your rig. Feel what you're towing. It's not a bad thing. It's a nice little pod. I'll bet you bought the rPod partly due to the fact that you wanted something small enough to tow behind the Highlander, because the Highlander is what you have and it serves your little family's needs nicely. Well, you were right in the first place.

Practice this until you don't have to listen to fools like me. Practice towing your rig raw until you enjoy the tug you feel behind you. Practice manually engaging the trailer brakes until it's almost as impulsive as pushing the brake pedal or accelerator. Pretty soon you'll know the difference between a tug and a push, and you'll know what to do to get the tug back. BUT, your chances of feeling that difference with a damn WDH and anti-sway on an undersized single-axle trailer are next to zip.

At that point, you'll be ready to bring the 9-month old along for a great family adventure.

Sam

2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by sammycamper

I agree with everyone here that the best part of your story is that all the living beings are still living and well. Next best thing is the good treatment you got from everyone nearby.

You are getting advice in several different directions, but one common thread that just makes good sense is to keep the trailer from pushing you - there's nobody steering the trailer. I'll add my vote to those who recommend manually engaging your trailer brakes and staying off the TV brakes as long as possible. I do think your hind sight that you entered the curve too aggressively is spot on.

I strongly disagree with a couple suggestions here that keep coming up on this site. I DO NOT think you need a larger tow vehicle, and I DO NOT believe your weight distrubution hitch and anti-sway bar helped your towing a lick. Neither are necessary or even appropriate for such a light, single axle camper.

I have been towing campers and boats for nearly 30 years, and the largest tow vehicle I've had is the 6-cyl Trailblazer that we have now. I towed a 19-foot sailboat with a cabin that slept 4 people from San Diego, CA to Rochester, MN with a 4-cyl Isuzu Trooper (we slept in the boat at Grand Canyon National Park) and I towed the rig through Vegas, where we spent a night in a hotel. Just before our rPod 173, we were towing a camper that weighed a thousand pounds more with a Honda Pilot and then the 2008 Trailblazer we have now. I did not use a WDH with the Pilot, because the Honda owner's manual recommended against it. The Pilot was max'd, but did fine. I did use a WDH for the body-on-frame Trailblazer when we pulled that travel trailer; but, that trailer had tandem axels and the WDH could balance the weight on the trailer axles. That was the max that either the Pilot or the Trailblazer could pull safely, and I stayed within about a 300-mile radius for the 6 years we towed it. The rPod 173 is an easy pull for the Trailblazer. I think I'd pull it practically anywhere.

Using a WDH with such a light single-axle trailer as an rPod, especially with the tanks full and lifting weight off the tongue, can cause more troublesome dynamics than it remedies. A WDH tends to numb any normal sensation of towing, and that probably contributed to the over-confident speed you were going as you entered the curve. I highly recommend traveling with your fresh and gray water tanks empty for anything but short hauls. I also encourage you to hitch up without all that WDH and anti-sway crap. Go ahead and feel your tow! You will have a much better tendancy to do your best intuitive driving.

Please: Hook up your camper directly to a basic hitch in your TV receiver (making sure the ball is at the right height to keep your camper level). Go to the biggest, emptiest nearby parking lot you can find, and drive around until you are comfortable with things. Then do some driving around a few blocks in relatively flat areas. Then try some hills; then some curves; then some hilly curves. Graduate slowly, deliberately, and cautously while the 9-month old is safe in a crib back home with the grandparents - just you, your wife, your tow vehicle, and your rig. Feel what you're towing. It's not a bad thing. It's a nice little pod. I'll bet you bought the rPod partly due to the fact that you wanted something small enough to tow behind the Highlander, because the Highlander is what you have and it serves your little family's needs nicely. Well, you were right in the first place.

Practice this until you don't have to listen to fools like me. Practice towing your rig raw until you enjoy the tug you feel behind you. Practice manually engaging the trailer brakes until it's almost as impulsive as pushing the brake pedal or accelerator. Pretty soon you'll know the difference between a tug and a push, and you'll know what to do to get the tug back. BUT, your chances of feeling that difference with a damn WDH and anti-sway on an undersized single-axle trailer are next to zip.

At that point, you'll be ready to bring the 9-month old along for a great family adventure.

Sam

I agree with most of what sammycamper has to say. I use a WDH with sway control for comfort not because it is needed. I towed my trailer without it and I did not feel unsafe just uncomfortable. 

First off a WDH has nothing to do with sway. As a matter of fact if it is adjusted wrong it can contribute to sway in a push situation. If you set your bars to tight you take weight off of the rear of the TV decreasing the traction on the rear of your TV which could lead to more sway especially  In the situation we are talking about here where the trailer is pushing the rear of the TV sideways.  When I set my WDH up I made sure that there was still a little sag in the rear of my TV when the bars were engaged. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Seanl

I use a WDH with sway control for comfort not because it is needed. I towed my trailer without it and I did not feel unsafe just uncomfortable. 
That is one potential advantage to using a WDH. Your ride will feel less jouncy. But, if you load your trailer properly, you'll have less than 300 pounds of hitch weight and, depending on how taught your Highlander's suspension is, the bounce is probably minimal on most surfaces. A little bounce is better than the consequences of a poorly adjusted WDH. Plus, hitching up is a whole lot easier without one.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 8:22pm

Originally posted by danthoman

techntrek - Have to disagree with you about the acceleration.   The physics dictates that it does work. Accelerating the TV is much the same as applying the RV brakes. 

I agree, as I said at the end of my post, but only in a very limited instance (no brakes or failed trailer brakes and near the bottom of the hill).  If the trailer has brakes it is far, far safer and effective to mash on the brake controller than to mash on the accelerator.  And you can only use the accelerator towards the bottom of the hill anyway.  If you mash on the accelerator at the top of a 1/4 mile hill you will end up in a pile of flaming wreakage at the bottom.  If you use the trailer brakes you will bring the rig under control while you are still at the top of the hill - and all the way down. 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 10:24pm
Glad to hear all is ok,I cant give you any advice this is new to me also,but would like to thank all the replies you received from the experenced podders,your info helped me to.Happy trails to you on the rest of your trip.  rex pHp stuart fla.
jrr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>