R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
    Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 6:42am
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice and analysis. We just did our first day after getting the trailer roadworthy and things felt pretty good. That being said, I think that we going to upgrade our TV when we get to our destination. 

The HiHy is a good car for driving around, but it hasn't been great for towing. On the mountains I worry about the CVT running so high without the ability to put a transmission cooler on it. It feels like it strains going up hills and the gas mileage is abysmal (7mpg with a 14 gallon tank means really frequent stops).

On an emotional level, I think we'd also just be more comfortable in something bigger and better suited to towing. We don't want to run the risk of not using our R-Pod because we don't like trailering it. When we bought the HiHy we had no plans to tow and now that we know that going to be part of our lifestyle, we need to reevaluate. 

On an unrelated topic, I also have to give a huge thank you to GEICO during this ordeal. They handle both our TV and R-Pod insurance and have been extremely helpful, available, accommodating, and sympathetic. Based on our experience now, I don't expect we'll ever switch to another insurance company.

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 7:02am
   Sorry for your accident, thankfully your family is safe and no other vehicles were involved. I think that you would feel safer in a larger heavier TV. From our own experience towing our 171, we started with a 2007 Saturn Vue. We changed the Saturn for a 2010 Jeep Liberty, with both of these TV's we felt unsafe and that it felt like the Rpod had too much control over the TV. We now have a 2012 RAM 1500 reg cab and now towing the Rpod we feel safe in that we feel the TV has the more control rather than the Rpod. This is our own personal experience but even with a heavier and longer wheel base TV, we need to use caution. Something I often tell myself never get to over confident while driving towing or not towing.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 8:09pm
Just wanted to post a quick update as we continue making progress on getting things resolved.

First of all, we bought a new TV: a 2007 Yukon XL Denali. Obviously it's way more than enough for the R-Pod, but it'll be more comfortable towing and have more room for our 3 podding pups too. I put a Prodigy P3 brake controller in it and am using the factory tow package. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should consider not using the WDH (but keeping the sway control on) since that truck has got such a hefty suspension compared to our HiHy?

Our Highlander that was in the accident so far has over $4,000 worth of damage, possibly including damage to the hybrid system (which would push us over $10,000 in repairs). GEICO has decided to fix it rather than total it, which is a bit of a nuisance to us since it means we have to have the HiHy shipped to CA, but we don't really get a say in it. 

We also got our R-Pod back from the shop today. They replaced the tire that had the sidewall damaged in the accident and fixed the fender light that broke too. They said that the axle needs to be replaced but it's perfectly safe to make it from TX to CA (same story we heard from the shop in TN). We'll find a place once we're settled in Sacramento to replace the axle and redo the seal and trim where the R-Pod hit the car. We'll also need to add risers since the Yukon's hitch is so much higher.

We're scheduled to hit the road for the final trip to CA this Saturday, planning on taking 6 days to get there along the southern route from Houston. We'll be crowding our entire household of 3 dogs, 4 cats, and a 10-month old baby in so it should be quite the adventure!
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 11:31pm
Glad to hear that you just about have everything sorted out. The Yukon is way more TV that you will need so whether you need a WDH or not is a mater of comfort not safety. (IMHO) 

Also you could get a drop hitch instead of axle risers but If you are going to get the axle changed anyway might as well get them to put on the risers. I really like the risers on mine. Saves on replacing the stableizer jacks. I wrecked two before I put the lifts on.  

Good Luck on the trip. that is quite the crew to fit into a pod. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:03pm
   I  like the POD without risers as it is easier for Mama to get in and out, so to tow we have to use a 12 inch drop to hitch the trailer to the Jeep. Towing as far as you are I would use what ever drop hitch it would require to keep your trailer level, it would make for better handling as you drive along.
     Safe travels.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 4:22pm
Risers are ok.. although I think they make the pod look a bit funny.. but remember, when you add that 3-4 inches, that step goes up... we don't have them because big dog couldn't get in if we did.
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 4:31pm
If I didn't have risers I'm sure I would have ripper of a stabilizer or two already.  I usually carry a low stool (3-4 inches) for those times I find the step to high.

thadd - 3 dogs and 4 cats...wow.  How do you move.    Glad to hear you're back on the road.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by danthoman

thadd - 3 dogs and 4 cats...wow.  How do you move.    Glad to hear you're back on the road.

We'll let you know! That's not going to be our normal contingent, the cats are only with us because we're using the R-Pod to facilitate moving across the country. Two of the dogs sleep in a crate on the lowered dinette, next to our daughter's pack-n-play. The third will just be on the floor so hopefully we won't trip over him too much during nighttime diaper changes.

We only had two cats and two dogs on the trip down here to Houston from PA; the others were staying at my in-laws while the house was on the market. It was cramped, but workable. We'll see how that changes with 3 more in the mix!
joe & vickie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 3:59pm
  If that starts to happen again, When the R-Pod starts to sway, put pressure on your brake while increasing your throttle speed.That may help to get the sway under control. I'm just glad that no one got hurt. The vehicles can be repaired or replaced.Embarrassed
R-POD 177- Gitty up go
FORD-F 150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 8:12pm

You have the same TV as me, just a different name.  You will need the axle risers and a very long drop hitch.  Mine is still slightly nose-up which isn't preferred for sway control.  I actually found the step height to be more even with the risers - the same height from the ground to the step as from the step to the pod. 

My first trip with my Suburban I went to the campground without my WDH E2's spring arms installed and didn't like the ride.  Put them on for the return trip and never looked back, the ride comfort was much improved.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>