R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
    Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 9:54pm
I love the E2 hitch.  The ride is so much smoother than without it.  No bouncing and the trailer tracks beautifully.  I don't think it is necessary with my TV, which is a 2006 Toyota Tundra, but it is preferable.
2012 R Pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab
4.7 Liter V8
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 1:55pm
We made it to our new home in Sacramento!

The Yukon did *really* well towing. We definitely need risers (and to get the axle fixed), but it was rock steady on the highways and having a proper tow-haul mode made an enormous difference on the mountains. It was so good that my wife was even comfortable towing some, though still handed back to me for the hilly or windy sections.

Our pod is now safely in storage while I figure out the insurance and repair issues. It was a bit cozy spending a total of almost 3 weeks in it with a 10-month-old baby and all the dogs and cats, but it worked really well. We're looking forward to using it for vacations rather than logistics from here on out (already have our first trip planned: Monterrey Bay and the aquarium). 

Thanks to all for the support and suggestions!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 9:02pm

Congrats on finishing the 40-year exodus.  Hopefully you didn't have to part any water on the way.

I've tried the tow-haul mode and I've tried without.  At first I really liked it, especially the automatic downshifting and modified shift points on big hills.  Since the manual says you don't need to use it unless the trailer weight is above 50% of your max (I think that is how it is worded) and the pod is well below that, I haven't used it in a while and instead manually downshift when necessary.  I get slightly better mpgs due to the shift points.

Speaking of mpgs, what did you get on the plains and in the mountains?

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 8:25am
Glad you (and the rest of the family) made it safe and sound.   Pod-ing should be much more fun with just the wife and baby.  I can't imagine rv-ing with a cat; though, I have a friend that does it occasionally.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 10:31am
It certainly has been interesting reading about your adventure.  You will have much to see on the Calif. coast.  Try Big Sur and Jules Pfeifer State Park there.  Right down the road from Monterey Aquarium.  Spent 38 years in L.A. before moving to Portland, OR. and took our sons on many camping trips up the Calif. coast.  Fabulous.  Don't forget to also visit Nepenthe while up in Big Sur.  Also, Sacramento, has a world class railroad musuem that shouldn't be missed.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 12:30pm
+1 on the railroad museum.  One of the best I have seen.  They have a good display of the special trains that helped to move people around the mountain west.

We happened to be there on Flag Day, and those celebrating fired a cannon on the grounds that set off all the car alarms in the parking garage.  After the second time I thought the guy in the booth was going to abandon ship!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 11:00am
Also at the southern end of Highway 1 is Hearst's Castle.  A must see.  Do get tickets before visiting.  A fascinating omage to a very wealthy man.  Try all three tours of the estate.  Many fine campgrounds in Calif.  Too many to mention.  Get a guide book and start planning.  Be careful of bears in some of the campgrounds and heed the warnings of the Rangers.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:41pm
We are all happy that you guys are safe. . Those live and learn moments can always be hard on us, but luckily you guys are having a good time. Don't let it spoil your travels and time with your family that is what is important. Best of luck.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 12:15pm
Thank goodness everyone was ok.   I remember well driving in those mountains and having to TAKE a rest. 
Originally posted by thadd

J
First of all, we bought a new TV: a 2007 Yukon XL Denali. Obviously it's way more than enough for the R-Pod, but it'll be more comfortable towing and have more room for our 3 podding pups too.

I my TV was a 4cyl Nissan for three years, and I too up'd to a Yukon XL (2004 ).  When I changed TV I took my ez wdh to camping world and they readjusted the bolts to make it work correctly.  I also have three pups (a lab mix and two little dogs), I put up a metal barrier and fold down the third seat. Much more comfortable for everyone.  

LeeStar
P.S. You might think about putting the cat in a carrier while traveling, he might be happier weather he is in the TV or the Pod. 
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 11:14am
So glad to hear you are all safe and sound in yor new home and recovering well from your recent "adventure". I am going to remind my husband of your  trek everytime he trips over our dog.Wink
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>