R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
    Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 1:59pm
Very grateful that you shared so much of your experience.  I am also new to "trailering" and have learned a great deal (I hope).  For this I am also thankful for all the past knowledge the senior folks have shared.  Best of luck in all your travels.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:19pm
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 5:33pm
Finally got the R-Pod back from the shop today! (The Highlander is *still* in the body shop in Houston). I took the pod to a local place that had good reviews on Yelp rather than schlep it and hour and a half down the interstate to the closest R-Pod dealer. It took a while for the service to get done, mostly on the shop waiting for parts delivery from Forest River.

All said and done, the repairs look fantastic. Where the trim was damaged, you can't tell anything was ever wrong; it looks straight from the factory. I also had them put the axle risers on when they replaced the axle so that the pod rides level with my Yukon and it made a huge difference. No more scraping the leveling jacks on every driveway Thumbs Up!

The R-Pod is safely tucked away back in the storage unit. With about 6 more inches in height since we rented the place (risers plus replacing the drooping, damaged axle) we were a little worried that it wouldn't make it through the door, but we had a whole two inches to spare. 

We're now looking forward to our first R-Podding vacation this spring!

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 9:39pm
Glad to hear things are getting back to normal.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 9:23am
Nice to hear that things are getting back to the way they should be and that you're going to continue podding. Safe travels.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 11:01pm
I've been following your story since the beginning.  I travel that section of road fairly frequently.  With my new (used) rpod for the first time today.  My trailer brakes weren't working.  (I resolved that since.)  I was sure thinking of you!

TT
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 1:33pm
I found this looking around online:
“Insufficient weight distribution is obviously undesirable. Too much weight distribution is also detrimental. With too much weight distribution the rear tires of the tow vehicle can lose traction allowing the trailer to push or pull the back of the tow vehicle around creating a possible "jack knife" scenario. Too much weight distribution can also overload the hitch, receiver, or trailer frame/coupler.”

Found it on this forum:

It's quite hearsay at this point but it makes sense.  This is why I didn't add WDH to my rig.  I have all I can do to put enough weight on the rear of my pathfinder.  I usually fill the fresh water tank and throw everything I can on the front bed.  I'm 200lbs, and the one time I plopped down on the rear bed with no stabilizers down and the tongue of the R-pod lifted up.  So my thoughts are, could you crank up a WDH hitch enough that you actually remove weight from the rear tires (compared to empty)?  This would be a really bad thing, as once you are going downhill, and turn one way or another, that tongue of the R-pod would be pushing the rear end of the TV around like its on a swivel.  This kind of thing is a big worry with car carriers - place the car to far back and you're in big trouble - Jack knife city.  My understanding is that you are suppose to always have at least 13% of the travel trailers weight on the tongue of the TV.  For my 171 that should be something like 350 lbs.  Well I don't weight that much, so I know it doesn't have enough weight on the front, which is dangerous by itself.  Hence the adding water.  Now if that 350lbs is actually on the tongue, and that number is over what your vehicle can handle, then it's time to use a WDH.  In my case neither of which is true.  

Now none of this has anything to do with sway control.  I do use sway control.  What I'm afraid of is that dealers sell you WDH because they either also act as sway control or they have the nice spot for sway control.  It's also a nice extra $350, and every other trailer they sell needs it - so why not.  When you buy the sway control it actually comes with a bracket that you can weld onto your regular draw bar to mount the sway ball.  That's what I did.  
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Anthony Valenzano

I found this looking around online:
“Insufficient weight distribution is obviously undesirable. Too much weight distribution is also detrimental. With too much weight distribution the rear tires of the tow vehicle can lose traction allowing the trailer to push or pull the back of the tow vehicle around creating a possible "jack knife" scenario. Too much weight distribution can also overload the hitch, receiver, or trailer frame/coupler.”

Found it on this forum:

It's quite hearsay at this point but it makes sense.  This is why I didn't add WDH to my rig.  I have all I can do to put enough weight on the rear of my pathfinder.  I usually fill the fresh water tank and throw everything I can on the front bed.  I'm 200lbs, and the one time I plopped down on the rear bed with no stabilizers down and the tongue of the R-pod lifted up.  So my thoughts are, could you crank up a WDH hitch enough that you actually remove weight from the rear tires (compared to empty)?  This would be a really bad thing, as once you are going downhill, and turn one way or another, that tongue of the R-pod would be pushing the rear end of the TV around like its on a swivel.  This kind of thing is a big worry with car carriers - place the car to far back and you're in big trouble - Jack knife city.  My understanding is that you are suppose to always have at least 13% of the travel trailers weight on the tongue of the TV.  For my 171 that should be something like 350 lbs.  Well I don't weight that much, so I know it doesn't have enough weight on the front, which is dangerous by itself.  Hence the adding water.  Now if that 350lbs is actually on the tongue, and that number is over what your vehicle can handle, then it's time to use a WDH.  In my case neither of which is true.  

Now none of this has anything to do with sway control.  I do use sway control.  What I'm afraid of is that dealers sell you WDH because they either also act as sway control or they have the nice spot for sway control.  It's also a nice extra $350, and every other trailer they sell needs it - so why not.  When you buy the sway control it actually comes with a bracket that you can weld onto your regular draw bar to mount the sway ball.  That's what I did.  

Yes to much weight distribution is just a bad as to little. With no WDH I get 3 1/2 inches of sag in the rear of my TV. I adjust my WDH so that I still have a little sag. About 1 1/2 inches if I remember. This way I don't take weight off of the rear wheals. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 2:07pm
Agreed. With my new TV (Yukon XL) I don't use my WDH at all, just sway control. 
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by thadd

Agreed. With my new TV (Yukon XL) I don't use my WDH at all, just sway control. 

I don't have either and have had no sway. For weight distribution, I load the FRONT of my pod, not the rear. A tail heavy trailer is a recipe for sway.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>