R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 2:26pm
You can get away without sway - I made it from PA to FL an back without it, but I wished I had it.  Going through DC, I really wanted to get above 70mph to keep up with flow, but things get a little iffy at that speed without anti-sway.  So I went out and got it for that reason.  

Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Anthony Valenzano

You can get away without sway - I made it from PA to FL an back without it, but I wished I had it.  Going through DC, I really wanted to get above 70mph to keep up with flow, but things get a little iffy at that speed without anti-sway.  So I went out and got it for that reason.  

If I do get it, it will be without WDH. I have never seen a sway bar cause problems, but an improperly tensioned WDH can be a disaster. I have had sway on other rigs. Early on, I towed a large popup with a short wheelbase TV. That too is a recipe for sway.

Other factors are tire types (truck tires have more lateral stability) and tire pressure on the TV and the trailer.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 11:12am
Were you carrying water in your fresh water tank?

You may want to consider a different tow vehicle now--something with more than 3500 towing capacity.
Bulldogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:55pm
So glad everyone is safe!

LStark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 2:24pm
Hi, I am curious how was your tongue weight when you had the swaying problem? I want to tell of my experience and see if others have had similar. When I picked up my Rpod 177 from the dealer, I pulled it 150 miles home with no WD hitch or sway bar and it towed great. On my first time out camping I had a lot of swaying, fortunately I was camping close to home that weekend so limped it to the campground. I was shocked when I went to unhook the trailer and the hitch rose of the ball by itself, I had negative tongue weight.  Now in evaluating this, I had taken off the spare in back and added a bike rack with two average bikes and had the water tank full. once I emptied the water tank I was OK on the way home. I spent a lot of time weighing the tongue weight in different scenarios, IE. full water , 1/2 water , empty water, 1 bike , 2 bikes, no bikes. I found that with no bikes and the water tank full I had about 80 lbs tongue weight. It should be 250 - 300 for this trailer, there was the sway problem. I added 150 lbs of flat steel under the seats in front and never travel with more than 1/2 tank of water, this gives me about 250 lbs. tongue weight. I also added an anti sway bar for extra protection. It travels like a dream since.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 3:00pm
This seems like a good place to post something borrowed from my Camplite friends. This video really shows effect of trailer loading and tongue weight on sway:

http://i.imgur.com/dYz2tCE.mp4

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by LStark

Hi, I am curious how was your tongue weight when you had the swaying problem? I want to tell of my experience and see if others have had similar. When I picked up my Rpod 177 from the dealer, I pulled it 150 miles home with no WD hitch or sway bar and it towed great. On my first time out camping I had a lot of swaying, fortunately I was camping close to home that weekend so limped it to the campground. I was shocked when I went to unhook the trailer and the hitch rose of the ball by itself, I had negative tongue weight.  Now in evaluating this, I had taken off the spare in back and added a bike rack with two average bikes and had the water tank full. once I emptied the water tank I was OK on the way home. I spent a lot of time weighing the tongue weight in different scenarios, IE. full water , 1/2 water , empty water, 1 bike , 2 bikes, no bikes. I found that with no bikes and the water tank full I had about 80 lbs tongue weight. It should be 250 - 300 for this trailer, there was the sway problem. I added 150 lbs of flat steel under the seats in front and never travel with more than 1/2 tank of water, this gives me about 250 lbs. tongue weight. I also added an anti sway bar for extra protection. It travels like a dream since.

This is 4 year old thread, and the OP has not logged in for over 18 months. (just so you know, he may not answer)

Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 3:43pm
Of course I'm still around, but I don't have a Pod anymore. When I did I found out anything you do to shift the dry weight as from the factory, you affect towability. Simply filling the fresh water tank will give you sway. Add something at the rear-end like a bicycle, now you're really asking for trouble.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 3:54pm
Glad your still around!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 6:19pm
When I saw this pop up I didn't see the date.  Thankful you were all okay and that this happened several years ago.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>