R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
    Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

This seems like a good place to post something borrowed from my Camplite friends. This video really shows effect of trailer loading and tongue weight on sway:

http://i.imgur.com/dYz2tCE.mp4

Excellent video!  I can see the answer to a question I asked a bit ago about loading.  The answer to is to load closest to your tow vehicle (or maybe even in your tow vehicle, when possible). 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:33pm
One caveat is to not put so much in the front that it lifts the front end of the vehicle. If that happens, the ability to steer is lessened. Also, if it is a front wheel drive tow vehicle, traction for towing is decreased. The rule of thumb is 10% to 15% of the trailer's weight should be on the tongue. For example, if the loaded weight is 3500 lbs, the tongue weight should be 350 lbs to 525 lbs. One should consult the TV's manual to see what is specified as the maximum tongue weight for the vehicle. Weight distribution hitches help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:35am
Originally posted by StephenH

One caveat is to not put so much in the front that it lifts the front end of the vehicle. If that happens, the ability to steer is lessened. Also, if it is a front wheel drive tow vehicle, traction for towing is decreased. The rule of thumb is 10% to 15% of the trailer's weight should be on the tongue. For example, if the loaded weight is 3500 lbs, the tongue weight should be 350 lbs to 525 lbs. One should consult the TV's manual to see what is specified as the maximum tongue weight for the vehicle. Weight distribution hitches help.

Where is that "Like" button when you need it?   Thanks for the information!   I still am not sure about weight in the TV.  Is it better to drive the R-Pod virtually empty (just the hoses connectors, etc. ) in it and most of the things you need in the tow vehicle?   Moderation makes the most sense to me, but having never towed anything, I know what makes sense isn't always what is correct. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Neserk

Where is that "Like" button when you need it?   Thanks for the information!   I still am not sure about weight in the TV.  Is it better to drive the R-Pod virtually empty (just the hoses connectors, etc. ) in it and most of the things you need in the tow vehicle?   Moderation makes the most sense to me, but having never towed anything, I know what makes sense isn't always what is correct. 

I don't believe there is one quick or right answer. Each owner has to pay attention to their vehicles GVWR, their pods layout, and the gear they bring. We carry no camping gear in the truck. The back seats are all down, and two big dogs ride back there. As loaded for a 9 day trip, weighed with a tongue weight scale, dual 6v batteries and dual 20 pound propane tanks, we sit right at 375lbs tongue weight.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 2:11pm
+1` It depends on your model R-Pod and your tow vehicle. We have an RP-179 and tow with it loaded. We carry excess in the back of our Escape.the tongue weight on ours is a bit higher due to the generator rack. Moreso if I have the generator on it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 8:52pm
Thank you for the info, StephenH and FurPod.    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678