R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamp Site GPS update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camp Site GPS update
    Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 8:14pm
I may have asked this in the past, but at my advanced age (63) my clutch and memory slips a little. I have a late model tomtom GPS. I like the functions, voice, ways around delays etc, however there has to be an upgrade that does not take a PHD to upgrade and or find a reasonably priced gps that also has camping sites loaded in its software. I have a working knowledge of how it works and it is not impossible to upgrade current GPS units with camping locations. I think I found an update for tomtom but I think its european and is $350.00 that is nuts. Does anyone know of any dedicated gps camping software/units out there. Heck they have self aligning sat t.v. and other modern items. there are a lot of neat little camp grounds in the U.S. most are not known by travelers. there is a private camp ground in crawford county Indiana fairly near our home that we have heard the owner maintains for travelers at no expense. the road is rough and narrow (you need your axle risers folks) beautiful pristine southern indiana hills at no cost, just follow the rules. I bet there are hundreds like this across America.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
tsunami123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 10:48pm
The closest I know of is the 'Campground Navigator' from Trailer Life.  It has nearly 12,000 US campgrounds on the DVD.  However, as far as I know, it only works on Window laptops that have a GPS accessory.  I have seen the 2011 version for sale for about $60.  If you Google the name you should be able to find more info about it.  I have the older 2008 version and its not too bad.  It will plot a route, give you the directions, mileage, fuel used, cost of travel, location and info about campgrounds,  nearest campground at the end of each day of travel, warnings about steep slopes on the road, and warn you about tunnels (restrictions on LP tanks, etc.). 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 9:34pm
Someone here recommended this not long ago:  http://www.poi-factory.com/
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply