R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedManually retrieving slider r-177

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manually retrieving slider r-177
    Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 9:08am
New R-177 owner and would hate to have my slider hanging out; how do you manually retrieve?
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 10:23pm
I have a 176T with a slider and I remember looking underneath the slide when extended and it has no access to the slide mechanism or motor (I think I remember putting some grease on a toothed slide bar which is accessible?).  I believe the slider motor runs on 12 volts and I usually run it when plugged to 120 AC because the amp load thru the converter is fairly high. I have tried it on battery only for a short time just out of curiosity and its seems to work but for fear of draining the battery (unless in an emergency) I only ran it for a few seconds. 

I would not run the slide when hooked only to the TV as the load on the TV might be too high - I have no data or technical info to back this up so you're on your own. You could make sure the battery is charged via the TV and then run it on battery w/o the TV hookup (my choice). If the motor or slide mechanism is bad you 'd need to fix them 

Also,  I imagine the access to the motor is from the inside with a panel removed ... But I really haven't looked specifically for the motor. In the spring ...
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 5:56pm
I dunno about access to the slide motor for your 177, but it's pretty easy to get to with my 175. I just remove the kickboard for the couch and the motor and bolthead to manually retrieve/extend the slide is staring me in the face. There is a springclip that goes through the bolthead and looks like you have to remove it to use the manual control. My stability jack wrench does fit this bolthead. I've never used the manual controls, so I don't know how difficult it is to operate, and I hope I'm lucky enough to never have to find out. Like Bill-GA said, it will behoove you to keep the gears lubed. A good bicycle chain lube like Dri Slide or Tri-Flow has worked well for me. I don't think these attract grit and grime to the gearsets like many lubricants.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Alex&Marie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 6:28pm
An added suggestion. If you already use a cordless hand drill to raise and lower the stabilizers you could maybe use it in place of the hand wrench for slide movement too.
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply