R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing without anti-freeze - Event Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Raymondo View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Winterizing without anti-freeze
    Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 10:09pm
Yes T_I_Nascar. I hadn't thought of that! That would get some of the sediment out as well, if present.
2011 RP-171 Hood River Edition
Towed by Dodge Dakota Sport
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Raymondo

Here's a little trick for voiding all the potable water out of the lines in preparation for winter without the use of anti-freeze. Air. I built a device made using standard air tool fittings and a small compressor to blow out the lines (slowly) without the fear of over pressurizing and blowing out a tap or seal. I first removed the threaded drain plug from the HWT and let drain out by gravity. Next open all water taps to vent. Attach blow-out device to R-Pod city pressure connection outside, with shutoff valve closed. Connect air line to compressor, set pressure to about 20 lbs, and turn it on. Slowly turn ball valve (yellow handle) until air flows into the water connection forcing water through the interior lines, and out through the HWT drain. Note: this does not drain your fresh water tank. You will have to pump that dry into your grey water tank, and then drain.

... or better yet, just unscrew the drain valve from the underside of your fresh water tank and let it drain onto the ground.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
tsunami123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 11:35pm
Blow Out Hose
Camping World has a similar air hose fitting (without the valve) (#38534) for $9.
Your air hose does have to have quick connect fitting on it.
I bought one...very convenient...I set my air compressor to 30psi...and the lines are cleared in
just a couple of minutes.
Raymondo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 12:05pm
Here's a little trick for voiding all the potable water out of the lines in preparation for winter without the use of anti-freeze. Air. I built a device made using standard air tool fittings and a small compressor to blow out the lines (slowly) without the fear of over pressurizing and blowing out a tap or seal. I first removed the threaded drain plug from the HWT and let drain out by gravity. Next open all water taps to vent. Attach blow-out device to R-Pod city pressure connection outside, with shutoff valve closed. Connect air line to compressor, set pressure to about 20 lbs, and turn it on. Slowly turn ball valve (yellow handle) until air flows into the water connection forcing water through the interior lines, and out through the HWT drain. Note: this does not drain your fresh water tank. You will have to pump that dry into your grey water tank, and then drain.

2011 RP-171 Hood River Edition
Towed by Dodge Dakota Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12