R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCover for R-Pod 177- Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cover for R-Pod 177- Recommendations?
    Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 9:46pm
We're thinking of getting a cover for our R-Pod 177.  Where we live, we get heavy dumpings of fir needles and branches, as well as lots of winter rain.    So we have several questions.

1.  Do you have recommendations for a good cover?

2.  If yes, are there covers with zippers for the door for easy in and out while the trailer is covered?

3.  Are there any serious pitfalls with covers?

4.  What's a good price for a cover?

Thanks very much!
Steve and Peggy Thorndill
HavaPod
2013 R-Pod 177
Tacoma, WA

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 3:11pm

Members have found multiple suppliers, so you should get some good recommendations - just keep in mind this is the slow season for camping forums so it may take a little while.  :-)

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 11:01pm
  HavaPod we bought the factory cover when we ordered our trailer 3 years ago, and other than the color fading we have not had any issues with it. The cover fits like a glove and has a zippered opening at the door with a sewn in pocket that covers the air conditioner and antenna. I have not had any problems with mildew although the last few years have been really dry for us. I do keep it covered all year to keep the weather and the sun off of it and you can tell it helps.
   We paid around $400 for it from the dealer and I believe that it was well worth it, other than fading a little it does not show any wear. Others have bought covers from Nothern Tool for less money and have not heard that anyone was unhappy with them. I think it is just personal choice as to where you buy it from.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 11:20pm
  Had to find and resize the pictures of our cover.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Holtz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 6:41am
I found a company that will make you a cover that meets your requirements. CalMark cover company. On the site you can download the measurement sheet and send for quote. I too have R-177 and had no luck finding a stock cover that would fit. The ones online were 15-feet 1-inch and the R-177 2013 is 15-feet 7-inches. I did get a quote of $570.00 that includes shipping from CA. to FL.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 10:08am
We have a 173 and the cover from Northern Tool fits like a glove.  It has a zippered door, 2 straps(1 each at front and rear) to hold it down and elastic at the corners.  I think it was about $200.  We like it and would recommend it

Vann Evans
HavaPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 1:03pm
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.  Your leads are great and it should save us some time in researching and making a decision.   We'll let everyone know sometime in the future what we get and how it fit!

HavaPod
2013 R-Pod 177
Tacoma, WA

ReddOrion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 3:42pm
For our 2013 model 177HRE, we picked up the Northern Tool cover (the larger one) and we're pretty happy. It has a door flap that rolls up and gets out of the way. Throw in a 3 year warranty and I don't know how much better it can get. It was right around $150 or so. 

Here's a link to the actual cover:   http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466693_200466693?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-RECEIVED-_-707-_-CONF

Below are some pictures of it. I'm posting them because there was some question on a different thread as to how it would fit with AC and tv antenna. We have both, though the antenna will never get used. The AC is actually a Coleman that was installed aftermarket and is pretty tall. The fit over everything is great. All body panels are covered. Now I just need to find some wheel covers and we're set!

Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
HavaPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:10pm
ReddOrion -  Thanks for the great pictures.   It does look like a great fit for the 177 HRE.   We're going to check into this option right away.  Thanks also to everyone else who shared options.
HavaPod
2013 R-Pod 177
Tacoma, WA

Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:25pm
The cover from Forest River is made of canvas and very sturdy.  The door zippers work very well and the cover fits over everything like a glove.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>