Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the world of Podding
    Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 11:27am
Jason and Kim:

You're just like us.  We got our first POD last year, a 171 and thoroughly enjoy it.  We've been out only 3 times because we got it late last year.

Your mods are the perfect firsts.  We changed ALL our lights to LED's right away.  For storage, we found that the Home Depot "HOMER" buckets fit perfectly under the mattress area.  We put tape on top to tell us what's in them.  Also, used a homer bucket to put an opaque empty vinegar jug with an 18 foot led string into it, poked a hole in the homer bucket and in that configuration, it is a good porch light...looks like a pumpkin.  If you pull out the vinegar jug, you have a nice bright LED string to see stuff with.  LED's are the way to go.

We also added a long dump tube holder on the right side to fit the RHINO tube.  It's real handy placed right there.

Other than some inside foo-foo stuff, it's all ready to go this year.  My wife is making blackout curtains for the bedroom area and we have used the 3M stickup stuff to hang a few accessories.  I'm in the process of cutting up and routing some high density plastic to put over the kitchen sink for use as a cutting board.

We also found some great small plastic boxes at the Container Store that fit nicely under the sink area.  They are clear enough to see what is inside them.

For known camping, there's the deal in Seaside and there is also a Country music festival in Brownsville sponsored by Bi-Mart. Both are in August.

When we were camping at Crow Butte, an island in the Columbia river, we had our RDOME out, the Orange Homer bucket lit up at night, sitting in the tent and had many people come by and ask us what this is and where did we get it.  After that, we thought the factory should hand out a stack of brochures for us to hand out.

Happy Trails

Burt, Laura the White Tornado, and Buddy the Wonder Dog

ReddOrion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 3:15pm
Thanks, Burt!

Couple quick questions for you if you happen back on this thread. Currently we are storing our dump tubes in a rubbermaid box in the rear storage area. The dealer set us up with the big Dominator tube. Kinda funny name, but I guess you don't really want a waste tube to be too meek! Did you mount a larger dump tube holder under your trailer frame on the right side, or where did you mean?

As for your R-Dome, did you go with the button snaps to secure the front and back or just suction cups? We are going to unfold ours in the back yard in a week or two and install it for a night, and I do not want to add screw holes to the nice new exterior.

We're putting some good blackout curtains in the "bedroom" as well. I don't relish the idea of having blinds above my head as we both like to read before heading to sleep.
Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 6:50pm
Greetings back to you!

Good question on the sewer tube.  I got the name off the original sewer tube that came with the POD.  It was only about 2-1/2 feet long.  It will not fit a rhino tube.  The name on the tube is www.dwincorp.com and their phone is 800-255-0829.  Their "super tube" size fits the rhino hose.

I installed ours on the same side as the clean out fittings just forward of them with the end that opens toward the tongue.  The fit was just about perfect for the 171 and I don't know about the 177 you have.

The installation was easy.  I found out the floor thickness, drilled appropriate fastener holes (on the RPOD site is your floor and sidewall thicknesses) and using stainless steel screws with silicone applied, I fastened them up into the side wall first, then into the floor.  The Super Tube comes with ears with holes in them for the fasteners and it worked perfectly.

Like you, we didn't want any septic issues inside the POD, so this was a first priority for us.

This should help you get going on it and keep your POD safe from infectious material or smells.

Burt
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 6:53pm
I'd love to see some pictures of your installation if you have them. I've been trying to figure out the best way to put a larger sewer hose tube on my 177 and welcome any ideas.

On the question of where to get the tube, I found these http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/64-inch-e-z-hose-carrier-black/60174 and they come in a variety of sizes. Once I figure out how/where to mount it I'll go ahead and get one.
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 6:59pm
The RDOME question...

We just use the suction cups.  We haven't had it in high winds but don't think we'd put it up in high winds anyway.

Most others don't use the dome unless they are out for a few days, not just one night.

The Rdome is a good tent.  I also suggest getting a couple of those 2 foot long surveyor stakes (Home Depot) to use as stakes.  Bring along a 3 lb. hammer.  Use a couple of nails though the survey string holes to hold your supports down real strong.

Another bring-along that helps in the Rdome is a large enough tarp for a floor.  It keeps you from tracking too much stuff into the POD.

There is a you tube that shows some folks putting one up.  It's kind of funny.  We found that a small stepstool was a great help in sliding the fastener in the track.  I used silicone spray to help it slide in the track.  Before doing that, I made sure all the fasteners were in tight and wouldn't prevent stoppage.  2 people can do it easily.  Don't be scared of it, just go do it.

you are wise to hook up and take down all stuff in your driveway prior to going out.  Suggest sleeping in it also.

Happy Podding!

Burt, Laura the White Tornado and Buddy the Wonder Dog

Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 7:07pm
Hi!

My installation instructions apply to the 171 and the reply to the newbies is accurate.  They also have a 177.  The Dwincorp.com has the holder and if you find out the depth of the floor and hold the tube holder in place about where I put ours on the right side of the POD by the clean outs, you'll be able to size it there.  It will likely fit your 177 but never having seen one, I can't be sure.

Pictures of my installation therefore will show the bottom of a 171 with a tube attached on the right side.

My suggestion is to call the dwincorp, or go to their website, look at the dimensions of the super tube and then measure the same area where I installed our first.  Once you find out their measurements and know yours, you will be able to determine if it will fit in that area on the 177.

Also, I had also made a previous post regarding this installation with the same instructions.  It isn't hard and I found the only place I could put it is where I did put it.  Believe me, I went through many scenarios with this of an engineering type.  At one point, I was even going to modify the holder for the spare tire!  None showed up as well as where I put it on the 171.

If you search this site, you will find the wall and floor thicknesses.  Use stainless steel fasteners and install with silicone applied.

Good luck.

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 9:27pm
Thadd, I looked on the end of the factory short tube and there was a www. address. I googled it, they had a 1-800 number, I called them and they make a longer tube custom made for the R Pod. It was less than $30.00 . I built brackets and mounted it toward the front of the pod across from the main frame rails. Be careful of gas lines and wiring. I would post a pix but have not been able to figure how to reduce the size to get it to post, if you cant find it email me and I will get the address for you. I really like the 15 foot hose and connections I got from camping world that fit perfectly into the larger tube.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 11:32am
One more comment after reading some of the others.

You can likely put yours on the tongue of your POD.  That area on ours was taken mostly by the double battery hookup we have there.  To install it there on ours would have required moving those batteries via re-welding the holders for them.  For that reason, I put it where I did.

Any place outside your POD will be good.

ReddOrion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 1:55pm
Thanks for the info, Burt and others. It would be really nice to free up the precious storage space and keep the (un)sanitary pipes where they belong. On the outside LOL

As for the Dome, I think we're going to stick with the suction cup solution. I don't intend to use it in extreme wind, so we'll see how it goes. The Dome will only go with us on longer trips, true. We're likely going to pick up one of the Paha Que' visors for overnight stuff. Between sun, tree fallout and/or rain, having some kind of awning wherever possible is desirable.

Some friends of ours have nice setups on their large RV screen rooms. They use astro turf from the big box hardware store, and they use Mason jar lids (the flat parts only) as washers so they can stake the 'turf down. We're going to do the same in our dome, but with a layer or two of 6 mil visqueen underneath with drain holes poked in it just to keep everything as neat & clean as possible. Where we stay every Summer is very sandy and it does like to rain, hence the visqueen under the green carpet. Gotta love the Oregon coast!
Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 2:45pm
I looked at the tube by dwincorp but their shipping was outrageous. More than the cost of the tube.  What I eventually did was to buy a vinyl fence post from Lowes (~$15) and cut it several inches wider than our 177.  I also bought two caps one is hinged on and one is screwed on the tube.  I then attached it behind the rear tank using metal screws into the frame.  Not as easy as the dwincorp tube but much cheaper and with no holes in the floor.  It fits the rhino drain tube and elbow with room to spare.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>