R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake Controller question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Controller question
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 3:11pm
To preface the question, I drive a 2005 Tahoe with auto adjusting air-ride suspension, the heavy offroad package with 410 rear, and the heavy tow package. We use this vehicle to tow around a few different trailers, the largest being a nearly 6,000lb jet boat (sadly the mpg on that rig is TONS better than with my new Pod Ouch). The large boat trailer has simple pressure brakes with the brake pressure coming directly from tongue pressure against the TV while braking.

That said, the RV dealer installed a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller on my truck when I picked up the 177 HRE. My question is this: Am I supposed to feel the trailer braking or should it be really smooth? I know that at low speeds it will feel clunky, and I already figured out that I have to disconnect the 7-pin harness from my truck while weaving the pod into the back yard. But the brakes just don't feel right while decelerating at driving speed.

I know there are two different setting wheels on the Voyager, I just wanted to know what my expectations should be before I start messing around with the brake settings. I have a hunch that the Level setting is set just a tad bit aggressively.  Any input (especially if you have the same brake controller that I have) would be most welcome.
Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 7:54pm
I don't know how others set their brakes I don't like to feel the trailer push the tv or pull it. Your setting does sound a little aggressive. I role the gain all the way off on mine and test the breaks if the trailer pushes I increase the gain and try again until the push goes away.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:06pm
the manual for our controller said to get in a big open parking lot, reduce trailer brakeing to zero, go 20 mph and slowly increase trailer brakes until you feel them START to engage and slow the tv/trailer.   That is supposed to be the right settingfor general conditions

Check your manual for instructions for your particular model. The brakes work well when properly adjusted. 

I still use manual braking with the slide bar on occasion-downhill to a stop, wet, slippery, etc

Vann Evans
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:15pm
Most of the Tekonsha line has the inertia sensors instead of the old style timers, so I'll assume that is true of the one you got.  When adjusted properly my Tekonsha Prodigy is completely smooth.  That said, I do prefer to feel just a slight tug when I brake.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ReddOrion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 11:44am
Thanks everybody. I kind of thought it should feel smoother. I read the manual and watched the little DVD they packed with it so I think I know where to start. I'll check the Level setting first to see if it's set too hot, then I'll play with the gain controller. 

Once that's done I think I'll borrow some of wifey's nail polish and mark the setting wheels on the controller just to make sure they don't get bumped or rolled when I'm cleaning up the TV interior.
Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 1:23pm
I've owned both the Prodigy and the Voyager, which I'm now using. To me, the Voyager works just as well as the Prodigy. The readout on the Prodigy is nice in that it tells you how you're doing and you can easily dial in your settings once you've found your baseline. That being said, using the nail polish is a good idea with the Voyager's lack of  a readout. I totally agree with TNT. I always want to feel that little tug when the trailer brakes engage, particularly with the lack of the digitals on the Voyager. Whenever we leave for a tow, I run up to about 20 MPH and manually engage the trailer brakes to ensure that they feel good.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 9:45pm
I have the Prodigy on our 172 and It is a flawless system in my opinion. Last summer while west bound on I 64 at around 55 or 60 (a texting IDIOT, I saw him in my mirror) crossed the center line on my left rear (I was in the right, slow lane ) I had to make an evasive turn to the right and brake very hard. I was impressed that there did not seem to be any ill effects on the handling of my Trail Blazer, or the Pod. I also like I can unplug the unit in the car and my son or daughter and plug and and go and the little pod will stay right where it belongs.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 12:40pm

My wife and I almost hit a texting idiot at Wal-Mart the other day.  Except it would have been our car vs. her body.  Made a blind entrance onto the roadway from the front entrance, from behind a van that was parked on the curb.  Didn't look left or right or slow down, obviously she was so absorbed with her phone she didn't even know she was in the road.  Luckily since we were near the entrance we were travelling really slow already (due to similar experiences) and stopped in time.  She still didn't know what almost happened to her as she continued on, oblivious.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ReddOrion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 3:38pm
techntrek, glad to hear you didn't have to hand out a Darwin Award in person. That's a huge concern here in the Silicon Valley. Too much tech and not enough horse sense to go with it.

Thanks all, for the input. I'll definitely be testing brake controls at the beginning of each outing, and I think I know what I'm looking for in terms of how the brakes should feel.

I said before, I had been lurking on this site for a couple months before I was an official Podder (so I didn't register until a few days ago). In that time I've found tons of useful info and ideas here. It's great to have a networked owners group.
Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 4:09pm
As was told to me by my local tech.  When checking brakes from a cold start, either hold the button on your controller in for a short time to heat up the brakes or try a couple of long slow stops.  Will heat them up and then will work properly.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>