Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd a Podder is born

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: And a Podder is born
    Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 7:36pm
I have heard a lot of people complaining about the audiovox t.v./dvd/cd player, our 172 has an amplified antenna,it has fair reception. we dont use the t.v. much. morning try to catch the weather. nightime before bed either silly stuff, two and a half men, big bang theory (Donna calls it brainless humour) I watch dvd of andy griffith or sometimes nature specials on dvd's. generally we get the bobble head after about 1/2 hour and are asleep. I may have gotten a good audio vox unit as we have not had any problems with it, its not a 70 inch Toshiba, but we dont spend much time looking at the box anyway. I figure I can watch t.v. at home. While in the outdoors I plan to enjoy the fresh air and sounds of the woods. Fresh air until that old skunk comes around begging for some food. PEEEE EEEWWW go away skunk
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
PBFM1967 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 10:05pm
Good stuff, I have a five year old so while camping if it rains it will occupy if board games don't. We have spend the night at a fairly local state park the same night i brought it home. Now we are trying to schedule a two nighter between work and gigs. 
Next will be the conquering of the R-Dome. Reading other post I have files the sharp edge from the R-Dome track, verified no protruding screws and applied a small amount of silicone lube. I miss anything?

We also went to Camping World (hour ride there) i was a kid in a candy store. Bought all hind of stuff, cant wait till the next trip. Big smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 9:54pm
Sounds about right for prepping the dome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tango287 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 10:31pm
Hi my wife and I are new, we have purchased a 178 and are waiting (impatiently) for delivery from the factory. We live in Harrison, Ohio about 20 miles west of Cincinnati. This will be our 5th camper we have owned. We have a cabin on a river in SE Indiana but when she retires in June we hope to do some Fall and Winter traveling with the R-Pod. I do have a question, has anyone pulled an R-Pod with a minivan? 

Hope to see some of you around the country!

Tom & Rita
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:29pm
Welcome.  I pulled my pod with a 2003 Toyota Sienna for over a year.  I pulled a popup for years before that which was heavier than a pod.  A downside to minivans is the suspensions are soft for ride comfort, so in my opinion a weight distribution hitch like the E2 or Equalizer are a must.  I tried airbags in the rear suspension for a while but it just doesn't cut it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tango287 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:46pm
Thanks, I did install a kit named Timbren SES (Suspension Enhancement System) which replaces the original bump stops with larger ones. For pulling my bass boat it did improve the situation by making the rear suspension a bit more stiff but does not affect the ride.  

I guess we'll know when we take delivery of the R-Pod

Thanks again!

Tom
gnawbone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:56pm
Tango287, what are you towing with? We have a Toyota Sienna but haven't pulled our 177 anywhere yet. Haven't heard about the Timbren SES, but as Doug had stated, the Equalizer will probably be a good WDH to ice the cake, so to speak!
Good luck, maybe we'll see you in FROG Rally in Goshen.
2017 Toyota Sienna
2016 R-180   "the Wee Pod"
tango287 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:07pm
Hi my tow vehicle is a 2009 Kia Sedona. I have a weight distributing hitch from a former set-up. I think we will be fine I have pulled my pontoon boat with the van although not very far it did seem OK and felt OK. The pontoon boat is a 21' boat and with the trailer that adds another 4'.  By the way when is this FROG rally? Where in Goshen, that is not far from us.

Thanks, Tom & Rita
gnawbone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:30pm
FROG International Rally
Elkhart County Fairground
August 4-9, 2013.
registration forms and info is not out yet.
What is your Sedona rated to pull?  Our Sienna is 3500#
2017 Toyota Sienna
2016 R-180   "the Wee Pod"
tango287 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:35pm
Thanks for the FROG info we will certainly try to be there. Our Kia is the typical minivan, 3500#. I was just looking at the E2 and others. I think we will definitely get one. Our older WDH is from when we had a Ford Expedition and towing a 29' trailer that weighed about 6500#. That hitch by itself probably weighs 50#.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>