R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPortable Ceramic Heater Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portable Ceramic Heater Suggestions
    Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 10:11pm
Hello 

We are lucky to be currently living in Az where winter dosen't get below 30 most days.  Last time we camped I pulled the fuse from the AC unit so that we just used the heater.  We are interested in trying a ceramic heater.  Any suggestions?  I see that they cost from $20-$200 dollars.  I would love to see what others have found helpful.

bill and heather
2013 RPOD 177 HRE Howdy Podner
2009 Nissan XTERRA
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 11:25pm
Welcome.  Any cheap electric heater will work fine.  I have a cheap heater which is keeping my pod at 70 F even though last night it went down to 9 F.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:21am
We bought ours at WalMart.  The price was right around $17.00, and it was rated for "small rooms". 

It keeps our 'Pod very comfortable in North Florida, where out temps must be very similar to yours.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:54am
No need to pull the fuse from the AC to just use the heater.  You can set your thermostat to just run the heater if you want.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:20am
Small 5x5 will heat the an R-Pod fine.  Mine has a heat setting and fan setting, so I can adjust both, if you get something bigger and have animals I would get one that turns off if it's turned over.  I put mine on the stove and point it at the bunks.   The floor is a little cool, but the dogs seem to be happy, and I'm not worried about it getting knocked over in the night.

LeeStar

P.S.  Realize this is coming from a person who RARELY camps when it's cold enough to need a heater, our definitions of cold may be a little different.  LOL
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
tsunami123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 12:36pm
I use a metal pan beneath my heater that I set on the floor (to prevent a fire if the heater were to tip over).  It allows warmed air to circulate from floor to ceiling; placing the heater on the stove creates two temperature layers in the Pod. My heater does have a 'tip over shut off'...but it is still pretty hot when it shuts off.  My heater has 600&1500 watt settings.  At 1500 watts it keeps the Pod quite warm even at below freezing temps.  1500 watts is close to 5000 BTUs. I open the shower ceiling vent slightly to allow some of the water vapor out.
When it gets below freezing...I have mylar-reflecting foil-bubble sheets cut to fit in the window frames.  The sheets insulate the single pane windows from frosting up and also reflect unwanted sun light in the summer.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 1:13pm
   We just use a small inexpensive fan forced heater that has 2 heat settings to it. The only time that we have used it in the trailer is coming home from AZ. in Oct., it is generally cool over night in Tucumcari, NM. were we stop and need a little heat in the morning. Right now it is next to me on the floor to warm the back bedroom.
  The cheaper the better, if you only use it in the R-POD it will last a lifetime. This one we have had for over 10 years.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 3:31pm
We bought a Delonghi at Lowes for about $25.  It has a digital thermostat and oscillates which is nice.  It also has a freeze mode which sets it to 45 degrees.  We leave it plugged in and running all the time.  When we used it in the North Carolina mountains it kept the pod nice and toasty even though it got into the 20's at night.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:44am
Originally posted by danthoman

We bought a Delonghi at Lowes for about $25.  It has a digital thermostat and oscillates which is nice.  It also has a freeze mode which sets it to 45 degrees.  We leave it plugged in and running all the time.  When we used it in the North Carolina mountains it kept the pod nice and toasty even though it got into the 20's at night.

I have this same heater. I have it on in my pod now and the temperature is 45 degrees and it is 2 degrees outside right now. It will heat the pod up to 70 in about an hour. If I want faster I just run the furnace to bring it up to temp and use the electric to keep it there. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Seanl

Originally posted by danthoman

I have this same heater. I have it on in my pod now and the temperature is 45 degrees and it is 2 degrees outside right now. It will heat the pod up to 70 in about an hour. If I want faster I just run the furnace to bring it up to temp and use the electric to keep it there. 

Oh man ... looks like I'm headed to Lowes for one of these!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>