Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Our-pod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: owner-to-be
    Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:40am
Read through the owner's manual for your car - 
I tow my 182G with an Acura MDX.  The owner's manual specifically recommends not using a sway control.  According to the manual, the sway control logic is built into the AWD system of the MDX.

It's the biggest of the Rpods and it tows very nicely.  I only felt movement when a huge Charter bus passed me doing about 85 when I was doing 65.
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:11am
I also would recommend an anti-sway bar for the hitch.  We have one on ours and it makes a huge difference, especially compared to what I remember it was like towing a tent trailer w/o one back in the 80's.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
LarryK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:26pm
My experience is like that of techntrek.  The E2 hitch (a weight distribution hitch which includes sway control) dampens the bumps in the road making a much more comfortable ride.  Without it the Pod would bounce hard.  For me it was worth the extra money.
2012 R Pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab
4.7 Liter V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:55pm
Welcome.  I pulled mine without for a while, happy to not have to use one anymore (my popup was suicide without a sway bar).  Eventually I ran into a long haul with crosswinds which changed my mind.  I got a weight distribution hitch which includes sway control and have enjoyed no sway and a much more comfortable ride, because the WDH acts as an extra suspension system to dampen bumps in the road.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:44pm
Lots of pros and cons WDH versus friction antisway. to each his own. I use a single adjustable friction antisway that goes on the passengers side between the pod and the hitch, I have never had any sway problem with or without the anti sway bar. I know it has a lot to do with the tow vehicle, wheel base, ball height. I tow with a Chevrolet Trailblazer and it pulls it great. I have been in 30 mph right cross winds and then had a semi blow past me on the left at 75 plus, a little side motion but nothing scary. I keep my speed at 60 mph or lower period. I can pull at 70 I have pulled at 80, but why am I going out with the pod. To slow down and enjoy the day, not hurry. When we get to the check in area I pop out and remove the single arm friction antisway bar so as to not forget and try to back up with it on and bend it in two. Anyway a bad day Podding is better than a good day at work
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:11pm
Yes....get one.
janice View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:09pm

Hi,  I have a 177 on order which will be delivered sometime end of Feb. or March.  I'll be pulling it with 2013 Ford Edge.  Since I've never owned my own trailer (although I grew up camping in one), nor have I pulled one, I think I should err on the side of safety and get a sway bar despite the service man saying he didn't think I'd need one.  He suggested taking it out a couple of times before making a decision.  Any thoughts?  I'm very excited to get it and my friend who bought a Casita in Texas and drove through Salt Lake City in a blizzard getting it home is totally jealous.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123